Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #25997
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
It is.
I'm a little surprised you didn't go with a Scalpel. Maybe, I'm getting old.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #25998
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
The Flash really was a deal I could not pass up. Walked into a shop that one of my friends/old teammates is now sponsored by to see them up close and personal. The shop owner had the Cannondale tour truck stopping there the next weekend with 2013 models and wanted to clean out the shop of as many '12s as he could. This Flash was already marked down to $1800 and he gave me another 20% off that price with 6 months same as cash financing. I had already been pricing a build of my own and, no way could I have hoped to come under $1500 with brand new parts. The only thing I've changed on this bike from stock is converting it to 2x10 vs. 3x10.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #25999
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I don't do a lot of off-road nite riding, but I've been told the guys from the shop are gonna go do gravel road rides all winter. Wed nite at 1800. Awful dark at 1830 these days... They bailed on the first one. Let's see what happens.

Plugged in the light and the led on the back was red so I'm charging the battery as we speak. How long ya think I should charge the thing? No destructions at all with mine.

M
the LED on the wallwart charger will go from red to green when its fully charged.

my experience is, 3-4 hours of charge when it was fully run down such that the tailcap was blinking red, which was at 3 hours on high, and my low test, I gave up after the cap came on solid red at 5+ hours (which was about 50% on the high test)

p.s. no instructions with mine either. tsok, they probably would have been in chinee
Old 11-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #26000
pierce
Aven'Tourer

I just installed some Blackburn 'Cloudburst' 700x45 fenders on my city-bike with its 700x35 tires. as it currently sits, I can see light between the tire and the fender all the way around from the sides, eg the edges of the fender are at a bigger radius than the outside of the tire tread. I'm thinking I should get them a little closer so there's just a hair of overlap... what thunks you?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #26001
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
If you're using the light plastic SKS sort of fenders, a little too far from the tire is probably better than too close. I find they move around a little, plus gravel, snow (where I ride) and other crud will get trapped between the fender and the tire if things are too close. My foul weather bike is my old PX-10 which doesn't have much room anyway, so I'm often doing a lot of fiddling with the fit to keep them clear of the tires, the exercise is a PITA sometimes, I'd rather be riding than stopping every 1/2 mile to clear the fenders, or putting up with the scrape-scrape-scrap sound of gravel grinding against them. Since fenders are uncool anyway, some extra clearance that improves function is an easy tradeoff. IMHO, YMMV.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #26002
pierce
Aven'Tourer

these blackburn fenders are plastic on the outside and aluminum on the inside (laminated or something).

yeah, I don't want them TOO close, just closer than they are.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #26003
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
these blackburn fenders are plastic on the outside and aluminum on the inside (laminated or something).

yeah, I don't want them TOO close, just closer than they are.

you're right in thinking just a bit of overlap looks best. ;-)

fender perfection....

surly357 screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 08:07 PM
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #26004
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I don't do a lot of off-road nite riding, but I've been told the guys from the shop are gonna go do gravel road rides all winter. Wed nite at 1800. Awful dark at 1830 these days... They bailed on the first one. Let's see what happens.

Plugged in the light and the led on the back was red so I'm charging the battery as we speak. How long ya think I should charge the thing? No destructions at all with mine.

M
The charger should have an led on it that will show green when you connect it to the battery pack. Once you plug it into the wall outlet it will change to red after a bit. When it turns back green you are good to go.
soewe812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #26005
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
The charger should have an led on it that will show green when you connect it to the battery pack. Once you plug it into the wall outlet it will change to red after a bit. When it turns back green you are good to go.
Plugged it in last nite after posting that and unplugged it this AM. Probably gonna go use it Mon/Tues nite.

M
Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #26006
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
The Flash really was a deal I could not pass up. Walked into a shop that one of my friends/old teammates is now sponsored by to see them up close and personal. The shop owner had the Cannondale tour truck stopping there the next weekend with 2013 models and wanted to clean out the shop of as many '12s as he could. This Flash was already marked down to $1800 and he gave me another 20% off that price with 6 months same as cash financing. I had already been pricing a build of my own and, no way could I have hoped to come under $1500 with brand new parts. The only thing I've changed on this bike from stock is converting it to 2x10 vs. 3x10.
You stole that!

And, 2X10 rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I just installed some Blackburn 'Cloudburst' 700x45 fenders on my city-bike with its 700x35 tires. as it currently sits, I can see light between the tire and the fender all the way around from the sides, eg the edges of the fender are at a bigger radius than the outside of the tire tread. I'm thinking I should get them a little closer so there's just a hair of overlap... what thunks you?
I've found that overlap, at the edges, has no effect on spray. It's good to have plenty of room, for the discharge of rocks. However, if I were building a showpiece, then, I'd want the fenders nice and tight to the tire size. I'm setting up my GF's vintage Armstrong with 37mm over 28mm tires. There isn't much room for rocks or vibration.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #26007
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,127
Lighter wheels?

I'm considering upgrading my stock 29er rims to an aftermarket brand which will save roughly 1/2 lb per wheel. Is such a small weight savings really noticeable when riding the bike?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #26008
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I'm considering upgrading my stock 29er rims to an aftermarket brand which will save roughly 1/2 lb per wheel. Is such a small weight savings really noticeable when riding the bike?

on a road bike, definitely.... an ounce of rotating weight feels like a pound of fixed weight when you're climbing or whatever. on a mountain bike? Dunno, I'd be more concerned over strength.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #26009
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

Tires and rims are where I notice weight differences the most, especially on a 29er. If it is a lighter hub, not so much. Before you sink the dough into wheels check and see if you can lose it in the tires first, then rims, hubs only if you want to get new wheels......

mud screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 12:03 PM Reason: Loose / lose...... Bah!
mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #26010
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Before you sink the dough into wheels check and see if you can loose it in the tires first, then rims, hubs only if you want to get new wheels......
This

...and ya gotta remember: if you go off-road, ya gotta pay to play.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: