Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #16
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito

Pancho Villa....was the first General in the Mexican revolution, and became governor of Chihuahua. He lived and was assassinated in the town I'm in right now. I met one of his followers here, who at first told me he didn’t care for gringos,

but we ended a remarkable cross-cultural evening claiming each other as brothers.

This was the common thread which bound most of my adventures on this trip through Mexico; a desire on both the Mexicans and my part to understand each other, (sometimes literally),

and a consequent friendliness that I couldn’t have predicted prior to making my journey.
These remarks reflect the true "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", and treasure you have found. Your friendships, and now relationships, with historic/scenic discoveries in México as icing on the cake, are vastly more valuable than any material posession a man can have.

While your photographs and trip itinerary are excellent, it is your thoughtful telling of the importance of establishing a bond between cultures I find most striking and poignant. You were an ambassador not only for yourself, but others who travel behind you.

Motorcycle trips can be a voyage of discovery, and as far as treasure goes, you hit the mother lode.

Bob
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #17
miguelito OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
These remarks reflect the true "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", and treasure you have found. Your friendships, and now relationships, with historic/scenic discoveries in México as icing on the cake, are vastly more valuable than any material posession a man can have.

While your photographs and trip itinerary are excellent, it is your thoughtful telling of the importance of establishing a bond between cultures I find most striking and poignant. You were an ambassador not only for yourself, but others who travel behind you.

Motorcycle trips can be a voyage of discovery, and as far as treasure goes, you hit the mother lode.

Bob
Thanks for 'getting' that trice. This was really the reason I went to Mexico in the first place. The scenery, and history , and yes, even the motorcycling were all just a bonus to me. Having spent the amount of time there by myself that I did, with never a feeling of loneliness, is a testament to one of the friendliest and open cultures I know on the planet. For anyone contemplating a similar journey abroad, my only two bits of advice, (outside of technical/planning tedium, that is), would be to:
A. Learn at least the basics of the language, (please, thank you, I don't understand, Could you repeat that?, How much does it cost?, Where is the bathroom?, and last, but not least, Can you bring me another beer?).
B. Be open to sharing your story with people who at first blush, you may feel you have little in common with. So many of the positive exchanges I had on this trip were a direct result of placing myself in situations that the stereotypical gringo would avoid. Many mid-day breaks I recall choosing to get a beverage from the abarroterias on the side streets, with the bench of companeros sitting side by side outside. Those little, but rich exchanges, that occurred between a 'rich' gringo on a motorcycle and a less affluent group of Mexicanos, helped color my journey with an affection for the people and country, which I think would have been missing from a trip confined to 4 star hotels and restaurants.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #18
Eduardo
Eduardo

Oddometer: 685
Hola Amigo, I just checked out your trip report and photos.....thanks for the views of a part of Mexico I haven´t seen. Some of the street shots reminded me of a few towns in Bolivia, with the pastel colors and narrow roads. Thx, Saludos, Eduardo

Escape the Tundra: Tenth winter in Mexico and Guatemala 2009/2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531184
Minnesota to Guatemala 2008/2009 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423949
Eduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #19
Rockin Rollin
Rockin Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Hello from Canada

Great report Mike. Lots I can relate to there both in your pictures & dialog.
It was a pleasure to meet you in San Miguel de Allende& share a passion for motorcycling & Mexico.
Cheers
Click on:
-Now: Fly/ride - Panama to Alaska & pts between.
-2009 Colorado & West Fest
-Baja 2009 from Canada
"Take time, because time will eventually take you"! (and you never know just how much yer gonna get )
Let's ride!
07 Suzuki V-Strom 650 with ABS for long distance adventure & Dualsport
08 Husaberg FE450 (Street Plated)
Rockin Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
miguelito OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post
Hola Amigo, I just checked out your trip report and photos.....thanks for the views of a part of Mexico I haven´t seen. Some of the street shots reminded me of a few towns in Bolivia, with the pastel colors and narrow roads. Thx, Saludos, Eduardo
Hola Eduardo! How are you? Still making the annual pilgrimage to Guatemala? Or did that stick-up on that back road temper your enthusiasm? Let me know if you're ever coming thru central Mexico!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Rollin View Post
Great report Mike. Lots I can relate to there both in your pictures & dialog.
It was a pleasure to meet you in San Miguel de Allende& share a passion for motorcycling & Mexico.
Cheers

The pleasure was mine Roland. Ride on!
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote