ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 04:22 AM   #16
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,250
So, see you in four years???

Check your PMs. Just found your next bike.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Damn is chatter allowed in YOUR thread?? Cool. As for the election results...yup about 4 years from January and I will probably be over it....
Davo-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #18
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
So, see you in four years???

Check your PMs. Just found your next bike.
Nice bike, nice price too. Almost do able!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #19
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-55 View Post
Damn is chatter allowed in YOUR thread?? Cool. As for the election results...yup about 4 years from January and I will probably be over it....
Chatter is encouraged. Actually, it's required. And better hurry too. I'm reading that the EPA is passing along info to the top that's going to trigger an Executive Order outlawing pork products cooked over an open wood or charcoal fire.

Made that up, but it was at least somewhat believable, wasn't it???

Old 11-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #20
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 855
Actually, I think its already been banned in Guilford and Forsyth. No new places can open up that cook over wood. I dunno if its true, whether its banned by the health dept, city or county...nothing really to confirm it. Buddy in the restaurant business told me.

Sux, who is so f'in stupid to ban such a thing in bbq country? As a connoisseur of fine swine, I find such regulation thoroughly reprehensible.

Sporting Wood screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 04:56 AM
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #21
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Really???

Theater of the absurd comes to town.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #22
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,477
Went out for my friday ride and I hit a BBQ place I had been wanting to try for awhile I heard great things and then it burned down and is now back open!
I headed out for a good ride on a great day and when arrived in Clarkesville ga I was good and hungry!!
I headed over to Hawg Wild BBQ and Catfish house.

Parking lot is huge!!!

I went in and the was sat quickly really nice place with a covered deck area out back!
Really nice interior of this place way too up class for me but they let me in!!!
They waitress brought me my water and some awesome hush puppies just on the house kinda like the brown bread at the Outback.
I ordered the pork plate with broccoli casserole and collard greens and of course corn bread!!
It was great and the sides and corn bread were all great!!! I used the sweet and smokey sauce and that was good stuff!!!

So if you are in or near Clarkesville Ga I would make Hawg Wild BBQ a stop for that BBQ fix!!!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #23
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Very cool. Thanks. I was going to say that the place looked like something you'd see in far western NC - as does the barbecue. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #24
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

BBQ Barn, Butner, NC 11/10/2012

Hit the BBQ Barn in Butner, NC today - locally known as The Pink Pig.

102 W B St
Butner, NC 27509
919-575-6068

Nice little place that a friend and I had stopped at to grab a tag in a local game a while back. It was a Sunday, so they were closed, and it was already pretty hot. Someone from inside the store came out - it's closed, remember - and asked if we wanted anything. Said some water would be great and he brought out bottles of water for us and wouldn't take anything for it. Vowed to go back there and eat as soon as I could. Well, today seems like it was the first opportunity I had.

Walk in the front door and there's a menu on a sign board over a cafeteria style serving setup. Sticking to what I've started with, I got the Barbecue plate with two sides - slaw and fries.

Two rooms there - the front room where I ordered which had a half dozen or so counter seats and two or three tables - and the back room where I sat with 12 or 15 tables and booths. It was about 2:30, so the place was pretty empty. Few folks up front and I had the back to myself.

Menu on the table:

Front from looking from where I sat in the back:

The food:
Barbecue was decent, nothing special - fresh, moist, and a hint smoky. Fries were generic, frozen, crinkle cut. Slaw was basic, slightly sweet utility slaw. The hushpuppies were also very slightly sweet, fresh and hot. What really stood out here to me was their sauce. They had the ever present Texas Pete and two of their own. One was a reddish vinegar with their spices and the other was very likely some of the best I've ever run across anywhere. Spicy cider vinegar sauce that I typically find pretty boring, but theirs stood out from just about any I've ever had. Not sure what their ingredients were, but tasted various chilis as well as black pepper.

$6.99 + tax and a tip jar on the counter.

Another good stop.

Urbanspoon.com: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/25/11940...BQ-Barn-Butner

wb57 screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 06:33 PM
Old 11-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #25
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,477
Funny we have a pink pig in cherry log ga I will try to remember to grab it next friday!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #26
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Guessing there are plenty of Pink Pigs...

Old 11-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #27
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
east NC BBQ question

I make my own spiced vinegar sauce (hot, thin, very little or no tomato paste) because I can't find it around here. I have understood the style to be "eastern NC sauce." But the OP and the restaurants in this thread don't seem to be as into it as I figured they would be. Is this style not really a staple in eastern NC?
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #28
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nope. You nailed it and that's exactly what I prefer. I like them all - well, except that blasphemous mustard monstrosity in SC, but...

Old 11-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #29
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Holden's Barbecue - Youngsville, NC - 11/17/2012

Neal Holden Barbecue
582 US Highway 1
Youngsville, NC 27596
(919) 556-3607
Mon-Sat: 7:30-2:00pm

This is one of those places that I've ridden by for years and years and never stopped at. Recently, it became a quest. Information on the Web said they were open Friday nights for dinner and I tried to make it there once and found them closed. They don't have an answering machine so I pretty much had to guess at when they might be open. Gave it a shot last weekend, but got someone on the phone saying they were open until 2 and I was about 50 miles away and it was about 1:45 already.
Was heading out to grab some tags in a couple other games early, but wasn't prepared for the pretty decent drop in temps here and had to bail out. Remembered this place and set out for lunch.

It's an old cinder block building on a gravel parking lot about 5 or 10 miles north of Wake Forest, NC. The sign indicates they've been there since 1964, so they're closing in on 50 years pretty quickly.

Menu was pretty generic - not necessarily a bad thing. Table service and pay at the counter.

All tables seem to come preloaded with a pitcher of sweet tea - which to my way of thinking, isn't necessarily a good thing. Maybe 40 years ago, but who the hell knows what the last guy dropped in there. Pass on the tea. Ordered water. Which was brought from a pitcher from another table...

Food was alright - slightly smoky barbecue, sweetish utility slaw, completely cooked (finally) frozen fries and nothing to write home about hush puppies.

This was a small barbecue dinner for $6.49. The portion of barbecue certainly qualified as "small". The bottle of (I guess) homemade sauce on the table was plugged shut, so I unscrewed the cap and poured it on too heavily by accident. Turns out, it didn't make much difference as it was about the most tasteless sauce I've ever run across. Drained the bottle labeled Texas Pete on the table - it had a good .5 ounces in it - and it basically colored the barbecue red without bothering to add any taste. Again -

Two dining rooms in the front of the place, one with the register, a couple of booths and a couple tables and another room with a handful of tables. Place was about 1/3 full and I was there at 12:30. I'm guessing they do an okay lunch business during the week and was surprised that there wasn't a breakfast menu since they open at 7:30 daily. Maybe there's a separate menu that wasn't out when I got there.

Food sanitation rating was 93, for whatever that's worth.

Honestly, when I left there, I was just a little unimpressed/disappointed, but the more I thought about it on the way home and once I started writing, I realized it was probably the most disappointing place I've been to. Not awful by any means, but far from what I'd expect from a place that's been open for almost 50 years. If it was side by side with a Smithfield's Bar-B-Q (chain McBarbecue place around here) and I was suffering from a serious pork deficiency, I'd go choose it. Otherwise, doubtful I'll be back.

Bottom line: skip it

Old 11-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #30
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Neal Holden Barbecue
582 US Highway 1
Youngsville, NC 27596
(919) 556-3607
Mon-Sat: 7:30-2:00pm

Menu was pretty generic - not necessarily a bad thing. Table service and pay at the counter.

Honestly, when I left there, I was just a little unimpressed/disappointed, but the more I thought about it on the way home and once I started writing, I realized it was probably the most disappointing place I've been to. Not awful by any means, but far from what I'd expect from a place that's been open for almost 50 years. If it was side by side with a Smithfield's Bar-B-Q (chain McBarbecue place around here) and I was suffering from a serious pork deficiency, I'd go choose it. Otherwise, doubtful I'll be back.

Bottom line: skip it
Way to tell it like it is Bruce! Might save me from stopping there. I think you should announce that you are there for an on line revue, read by millions. That way , maybe the crappy food would be free. Hope to contribute soon