ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
zimzooma OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Some advice please

It's starting to get cold here in the northeast and I need some time away. In the next month or so I will take a couple weeks off. I would like to spend some time camping and riding in the desert. What I'm looking for is any advice on some areas to check out. What is nice this time of year? Where is good to set up base and ride from? I would like to return to camp every night.
Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,519
There are lots of really awesome places to go, but I'm really partial to the Anza Borrego area. There is a really nice little resort in Borrego Springs which you can make your base of operations - out for a couple days, back to the resort for a shower and some margaritas in the hot tub.

If you're middle-aged and creaky like me, that hot tub is a beautiful thing!

It's less than 2 hours east of San Diego, and it's within half a day of Mojave and most of a day to Death Valley.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,059
A second vote for Anza- Borrego. The campground at Borrego Palm Canyon has nice bathrooms and showers (bring your quarters for the showers!)

Death Valley, of course, is another great place. You can camp at several places within the park. Panamint Springs Resort has camping, motel rooms, a small restaurant, and a fine selection of beers.
http://www.panamintsprings.com/
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Grand Junction Colorado easier to get to or.....Moab! This time of year can be really nice or it can start snowing, which it might have already!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,475
Couple weeks? You haul your stuff? Doesn't give much time with the drive each way.......might be better to fly and rent?
We need details.
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,625
I'll third Borrego Springs, love that area, great base.

If your'e up to it Baja is nice and inexpensive.

Joshua Tree is nice. No showers in the park though.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
zimzooma OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I'll have to drive. It would be just to expensive any other way. I think I can get about 18-19 days off. Should be plenty of time.
Thanks for the leads. Looks promising. I'll most likely bring my 500exc. I would love to bring my 450SX-F but it's not plated.
Baja would be great but leave the country is a pain.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,705
Depending on how you come out (what route) a loop through Death Valley would also be good this time of year. Staying at Furnace creek allows you the comforts of a resort like atmosphere and you can still camp. More rustic but still with alot of good riding is Panamint Spring on the western side outside of DV.

If you go over thanksgiving go there and they will feed you for free, just make a small donation.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,819
Yeah, Furnace Creek in Death Valley is nice this time of year. You can probably see everything in 3-4 days, though. If you go, check out the underground tour at Scotty's Castle. The above ground is interesting too.

I think Moab would be good too. I went in July, and it was really hot and humid. There are weeks worth of trails there.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
I rode through the newly revamped Furnace Creek Campground in Death Valley last weekend. It's been totally revamped for the Diesel Bus RV crowd... Too bad it's not rustic like it used to be.

There is still tent camping, but now you park in a "space" and have to walk into your campsite area. I'm sure if you rode your bike over to the tent they'd have a conniption fit... They've also removed a number of the trees which of course provide needed shade. Also watch for pitching your tent in a low spot. It looks like all the new asphalt has created even more flooding potential for campers.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
jarthur
Old Desert Rat

Oddometer: 245
Black Rock Desert

The Black Rock Desert in northwestern Nevada is pretty awesome. Check out Soldier Meadows Ranch ( more info on its web site). Just have to pay attention to the weather for any snow in the higher valleys or passes.

Riding in the southern part of Ca. probably is best this time of year. Also check out Tecopa Hot Springs area, China Ranch (the date farm), and Dumont Dunes.

'06 Husky TE 610, '93 ATK 605, 2014 R1200 GSW
jarthur is offline   Reply With Quote