Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
matho... OP
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Oddometer: 107
Eek Μetzeller Sahara Enduro3 dif.size rear...is it possible?

Hi I am looking for new tires for my F8 and I like the Metzeller's Sahara Enduro3.As I see they say front 90/90 - 21 M/C 54H and rear140/80 - 17 M/C 69H instead of F8's 90/90 - 21 M/C 54V & 150/70 - 17 M/C 69V
Is that possible to be done or I cannot change the dimension?What would be the difference of the 140/80 size?
Has anyone here the same tyres?
Thanks

matho... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646

Yeah, probably a little on the nasty side...

140/80-17 will fit. I have tried 3 different 140/80-17 tyres, but not that particular brand.

The overall diameter of the tyre is very close to the 150/70-17. It doesn't even upset the ABS.

The width of the standard rim spreads the tyre out in a flatter arc across the tread face and I get nearly double the mileage out of the same tyres on the GS as compared to the DR650.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I want a pair of knobbies that get a good 5k+ on the road while maintaining razor sharp dirt talons.... Let me know when someone finds these mythical beasts please
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
matho... OP
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

So Snowy you think there is no problem to fit them?Did you notice any different on road?Anything I have to know about safety running?
Thanks

Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
The tire profile flattens out with a narrower tire, it's more square and less round.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,685
The 140/80/17 is a taller and narrower tire than a 150/70/17 tire. You can compute the difference yourself. The first number is width and the second is height as a percentage of the width. Optimum rim size is 3.50in vs 4.25" on the bike. You will see size variance from manufacture to manufacture.

A lot of people have run them and seem to do fine. Because they are narrow for the rim, the tread will be flatter mounted on a wider rim. I would expect more center wear if you run a lot of pavement.

Keep the tire pressures reasonable and they should be fine. The rims are soft anyway so why risk denting one.

If you are in love with a particular tire or tread, you gotta do what you do, other wise I see no advantage to them.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAthosalas View Post
So Snowy you think there is no problem to fit them?Did you notice any different on road?Anything I have to know about safety running?
Thanks
No problem fitting them. I've worn out E07's and E09's in the 140/80-17, and they hang on fine with the pegs scraping.

The center doesn't wear so bad because the tyre is spread flatter.

An E09 I would expect around 7000kms with about 5~6mm tread depth left.

An E07 I would expect about 10000km with the same tread depth left.

I have no problem with them versus a 150/70-17. Much of a muchness.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
matho... OP
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Thanks for your answers.My thought about the Enduro3 is that I'm moving enough off road so I'd like a better tyre for that terains but really I don't want to loose so many km life and endurance...If there was an 150/70 I think I'd think about it more...but they say they have only 140/80 so that is why I asked about.
What about the Mitas E10 for the F8?Is that better than enduro3 for dual purpose tyres? Are they going to keep about a 10.000km on dual moving on and off road?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
matho... OP
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
If you are in love with a particular tire or tread, you gotta do what you do, other wise I see no advantage to them.
Not at all in love with the Enduro3' but I like them more than a TKC80 ...also I do not know what the Mitas'E10 can do...?

Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,685
I like the TKC but they do wear and they are not cheap. Currently I have a Pirelli Scorpion Rally rear tire.

The tread design was not like posted in the Super store picture of them.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

The center lug is one wide bar lug. When new it did not have the lateral traction of a TKC, so I siped it, to look like the pic.

It is as good as a TKC and even though my siping is nearly gone, seems to work fine now. I do not keep track of mileage so can't comment on them.

I would buy another.

Some times I think tire threads are like oil threads. Maybe I am just not good enough to tell the difference between one semi knobby over the other. As important as tread design is, so is soft vs hard rubber and side wall strength. I don't read much comparison of that.

itsatdm screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 09:14 AM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
matho... OP
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

thanks

Old 11-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #12
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

I have also switched to the Pirelli Rally and love them.

They cost a bit more than I'm used to paying, but they work so well on road and off that one all terrain ride will see you well smug and satisfied with the money outlaid.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
matho... OP
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I have also switched to the Pirelli Rally and love them.

They cost a bit more than I'm used to paying, but they work so well on road and off that one all terrain ride will see you well smug and satisfied with the money outlaid.
mileage?