Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,158
Winter's here, electric gear

It's getting cold out there. I safety pinned my homade electric heat shirt into my riding jacket today.....and thought that some other cheap bastids might like to see how I made it.

For this shirt I made it from a perforated sports t-shirt, and cut it down the front so I could pin it into a jacket.

I either use 38 to 40 feet of 30Ga stranded copper wire (uses about 4 amps), or 55 to 60 feet of 26ga (uses about 5 amps). The pictures that follow are of the 30 ga.

Here's a good wire routing....
From odds and ends

BTW you can click on these shirt pictures. That will take you to a page where you can click on a zoom tool, upper right.

Show's short sleeve electric shirt pinned into my riding jacket.
From odds and ends

Shows wires run in left breast and safety pin method as well as electrical connection on left.
From odds and ends

Jacket with arms prepared to put jacket on. Good picture to use the zoom tool.
From odds and ends

Back section...use roughly 2/3s the allotted wire in front and 1/3 in the back.
From odds and ends

Electrical connection come out just to left of belt buckle.
From odds and ends

I securely sew the electrical connection to the shirt fabric. I use heat shrink tubing at the connections to the small wires.
From odds and ends

Remember the closer that your heat gear is to your body the more heat effect you get. If you wore a heat shirt in place of a t-shirt, you could stay warm with a couple amps or less if you use several layers on top of it as well as a jacket.

I like putting my gear between layers where it doesn't require a heat controller. If you have experience with placement...you can save yourself the cost of a controller.

A cheap controller can be made with an electronic flasher by wiring your heat gear to use the flasher or omit it. That will cut you heat down to nearly 1/2.

BTW, 30ga wire is used in household tele extension cord....and 26ga is often used in, in wall, commercial tele wiring, or you can buy 26 ga at Frys.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote