Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #16
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
When that is done and you have replaced both cups in the frame, grease up both bearings, slide the lower triple in from the bottom, put the upper bearing in on the stem, then the metal cover with the rubber O-ring inside, then the upper triple, and then the top nut to hold everything together. The manual should have instructions on how to get the correct torque / preload on the bearings. Once the triples are held together then you can slide in the fork tubes one by one.

Definitely let me know when you make it to Austria and I'll set you up with a garage and a place to crash.
Thanks!

Took the lower triple and stem to a shop yesterday to get it pressed on. I have the lower bearing and seal on, but trying to get both bearing cups to seat fully. I don't have my old cups, which would have helped.

Any tips on getting this cups in fully? I have both opper and lower flush the the top and bottom of the steering column. There is still around 5mm of space between each cup and each lip.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Do you like buying new tools? Park tools makes an excellent one for that purpose....

If you are going to improvise, then you want to make sure that you don't damaged the cup. You could use a suitable driver that has the exact same outer diameter so it only presses on the outside, e.g. big socket or even an old cup with a slit cut in it so you can get it out again.

If you don't have anything like that and it's already sitting flush so there is no real risk kinking it in the bore, you could carefully knock it in using soft-ish piece of wood as a driver. Try to hit only the outer part of the cup though.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
The biggest socket I have is the one for the main engine mount nut.

I'll try a piece of wood. I was thinking about using a head of a screw driver on the rim of the cup, but I was afraid of somehow damaging the cup that way.