Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #871
Bksports88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Dude. It's a Honda. Ride it like you're mad at it. Break in is done.
Exactly, I bought my 250L, rode it for 20 miles then did the Shenandoah 500km. Which is a enduro event (not race). Rode it hard on the trails and on roads. It was happy with the high RPM's
Bksports88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #872
Bksports88
Adventurer

Just bought my ricochet skid plate, Cycra hand guards and 13t sprocket. Will post pictures installing them soon
Old 11-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #873
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksports88 View Post
Exactly, I bought my 250L, rode it for 20 miles then did the Shenandoah 500km. Which is a enduro event (not race). Rode it hard on the trails and on roads. It was happy with the high RPM's
in addition changing the oil out early in the motors life is key (say at 100miles or less). i do believe most all modern motors are also fired up once to test them from the factory so a new bike's motor has run already atleast once.

unless you've watched your bike come directly from the crate to assy and then you take it, many shops will start all news to confirm they indeed do run properly before a sale so that would be run #2. now the crf move fast but others bikes that don't might be started many times over after that at the dealership.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #874
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
Like minded? You must be new here. There are as many opinions on breaking in as there are people here. A few dudes saying "ride it like you stole it" and a few saying "for the love of God baby it" isn't really gonna help you so there's little point going down that road.
consider the hardness of modern motor materials motoman http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm technique makes the most sense to seat the rings. understand a mfg would never allow that technique to be printed as official. they (being the lawyers who are protecting the company) don't want people cranking hard on those new engines as they feel don't trust the average person to do it right nor change the oil quickly.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #875
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Theres no reason to change the oil before the 600 mile check. Not with modern oil and a filter in place and the reasons are simple. A new engine does not have any ash content yet and will have far less while new than an older engine. If the idea that Honda doesn't know how engines, oil, and everything involved behave, the extended warranties will be attractive. Japanese motorcycle engine makers have used 600 miles as the intial check for at least 40 years, and the oil and metalurgy and engine heat control that are involved have only gotten better
My method is warm the engine well before each use, don't use more than half throttle for 40 miles, let it cool off totally, increase revs used until 10 hours use. Probably 300 miles. Only rings and the bore are involved, you don't want either to warp while the final tempering of the steel and iron are completed. 10 hours use is plenty, with a dozen or less heat cycles involved. The theory of assembly lube, extremely fine particles of aluminum and to a lessr extent steel doing a final polishing may have validity. The Thai dealerships are changing oil @ 300 miles then oil and filter and valve check at 600. There's as many ways to do it as buyers. Experience can guide what has worked for each owner, a rider new to all this might consider Honda knows more about small engines than anyone.

Bake screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 09:29 AM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #876
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilkins View Post
You were seriously worried about the extra weight of an extra nut and bolt on the gear shifter? When you go riding do you wear budgie smugglers instead of boxers to save a few ounces?
Will you remember RamZ's wisdom in the middle of frikkin nowhere when your shift level falls off?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #877
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty_D View Post
WOW! no one lifted opinions or gave some tips on riding in? Please people , I thought this forum is place where like minded guys help and share with each other? Also if anyone could give me tips on opening the throttle end to fit hand guards it would be nice.

Thanks.
Get a drill bit and open that sucker up! That's what I did. You will also need a shim, to allow the throttle to rotate freely.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #878
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Get a drill bit and open that sucker up! That's what I did. You will also need a shim, to allow the throttle to rotate freely.
Personally, I like to use a step drill from Harbor freight to open it up, as the last plastic throttle one I did was brittle and splintered.....then finish the last bit with a tiny drum sander in a dremel...on slow speed, otherwise the plastic just melts and makes a mess

lube the inside of the throttle before final assembly with dry graphite lock lubricant...be careful..the crap can be real messy!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #879
Bksports88
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
in addition changing the oil out early in the motors life is key (say at 100miles or less). i do believe most all modern motors are also fired up once to test them from the factory so a new bike's motor has run already atleast once.

unless you've watched your bike come directly from the crate to assy and then you take it, many shops will start all news to confirm they indeed do run properly before a sale so that would be run #2. now the crf move fast but others bikes that don't might be started many times over after that at the dealership.

Im curious is if Butler Maps has anything in VA, seeing your from CO I doubt it. I want to map out some weekend camping trips next spring
Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #880
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Personally, I like to use a step drill from Harbor freight to open it up, as the last plastic throttle one I did was brittle and splintered.....then finish the last bit with a tiny drum sander in a dremel...on slow speed, otherwise the plastic just melts and makes a mess

lube the inside of the throttle before final assembly with dry graphite lock lubricant...be careful..the crap can be real messy!
Good idea. I just took my time and used the bit by hand at the end.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #881
Brk4moose
Could save your life

Oddometer: 24
A Few Questions...

So I told myself I was just gonna leave the bike stock......Lets just say i've changed my mind.

I ordered one of the manracks rear racks and the wolfman peak tail bag. I would highly recommend both to anyone looking for a little storage of their 250's. The rack is awesome and it took less than 5 mins to install both.

Next up...

I was curious how you guys were liking the ricochet skid plates so far, any issues?

Has anyone paid the extra $20 and ordered a black one yet? I'd love to see a pic of what that looks like installed on the bike.

Also, I finally got a chance to take it for a good little ride this morning (75 miles). The seat is little brutal but the fun factor makes up for it.

How easy of an install is the seat concepts cover? Does it make that big a difference in comfort? Do you need to be an upholstery master to install that thing?
Brk4moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #882
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brk4moose View Post
So I told myself I was just gonna leave the bike stock......Lets just say i've changed my mind.

I ordered one of the manracks rear racks and the wolfman peak tail bag. I would highly recommend both to anyone looking for a little storage of their 250's. The rack is awesome and it took less than 5 mins to install both.

Next up...

I was curious how you guys were liking the ricochet skid plates so far, any issues?

Has anyone paid the extra $20 and ordered a black one yet? I'd love to see a pic of what that looks like installed on the bike.

Also, I finally got a chance to take it for a good little ride this morning (75 miles). The seat is little brutal but the fun factor makes up for it.

How easy of an install is the seat concepts cover? Does it make that big a difference in comfort? Do you need to be an upholstery master to install that thing?
DON'T spend the $20 on the black bash plate that will get pitted and look like hell, but DO spend the $20 that seat concepts want to install the cover
Old 11-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #883
Semodirt
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Tank Bags?

Has anyone purchased a mag mount tank bag for their CRF250L? You can't tell how one will fit from the ads.
Semodirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #884
Willard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semodirt View Post
Has anyone purchased a mag mount tank bag for their CRF250L? You can't tell how one will fit from the ads.
FirstGear Silverstone Magnetic Tank Bag II

Works perfect.
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #885
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Acerbis handguards, their white color plastic matches the Honda.

Small dash with 2 BMW power outlets for electric vest, battery tender, etc. Wired direct to battery.

The temp gauge is a simple stick-on and can be moved easily. When my Garmin 60csx gets back from repair, I'll fit it to the plate.

Bake screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 08:59 PM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote