User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
truax OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Argyll Motor Sports in Edmonton.

I wanted to share my experiences with Argyll Motor Sports in Edmonton.

This was originally published in a blog chronically my trip to Alaska last week so please excuse me for being lazy and copy and pasting it.

(from Day 7)

Today I only managed 112 miles. I got very wet and very cold.
In a lot of ways, it was one of my best days.

A few days ago, my motorcycle had started to run poorly at lower revs and in lower gears, and it became quite apparent to me I had a problem. Saturday night I decided I needed to get my bike looked at. Lower gears, and at times lower revs, will certainly be needed in northern Canada and Alaska. Since every motorcycle shop I know of, or ever heard of, is closed on Sunday, my plan was to get to Edmonton, show up early Monday morning at a shop and pray that they could squeeze me in. The Canadian motorcycle season is very compressed because the window of riding weather is much shorter than parts south. I figured they would be swamped. I was not optimistic.

Preparing for a long wait, I got up early Monday morning and fortified myself with several donuts, some rolls, bacon, eggs and assorted other breakfast foods.

Twenty minutes before they even opened, I arrived at Argyll Motor Sports in Edmonton. They have an impressive facility -- This is no minor dealer. They carry BMW, Ducati and Suzuki Motorcycles and several other models of ATVs. In other words, they were bound to have a lot of repair work scheduled, customers with new bikes in need of set ups, and general maintenance jobs. My hopes sank.

I snuck in the back, and asked one of the techs to speak to the Service Manager. Dave Haddock appeared shortly thereafter. I explained how I was on my way north, what my motorcycle's symptoms were, what I thought was happening, and that I was always kind to small animals, had never been convicted of a felony, and that I love hockey -- anything I could think of to improve my odds.

Dave told me he thought they could get me in, but he'd have to look at the schedule; it might not be 'til later depending on what else was going on. At times, I'm a "glass is half empty" kind of guy. This was one of those times. Did I mention that I was not optimistic?

They opened at 9:00. At 9:10, as I sat on the pile of discarded batteries I had chosen as my "I'm going to be here all day" perch, mechanic Andrew Holden appeared and started asking about what was wrong with my bike. Then, service writer Erik Anderson appeared and started taking down data about my bike.

Suddenly my bike had been moved to the front of the line. Twenty-five other bikes had been moved out of storage, ready to be worked on. Mine was among the first batch taken into the shop. Within fifteen minutes of opening the shop, they were opening my bike.

The verdict: loose throttle bodies (I was right!), a small cooling leak and the classic birdseed in the airbox. It seems a mouse or some other critter had decided to stash about half a pound of seed in my cycle's airbox. Luckily for me, the air filter had kept the seed out of my engine intakes. Everyone seemed very amused by the birdseed. I was not. There may be some really hungry birds in east central Illinois this coming winter.

During the time Andrew was working his magic on my grain bin, I mean motorcycle, Eric was calling Canada Suzuki because he did not have access to the database with VIN numbers for Suzukis sold in the U.S. Apparently, Canadian Suzuki does not trust American Suzuki, or vice versa. However, Erik did find out through a complex series of phone calls, smoke signals, Tarot cards readings and semaphore that Canada Suzuki had communicated with American Suzuki to find out if Canadians could do warranty work on American bikes. They answer, in case you are ever in a similar situation, is "yes, if the work was under warranty." So back to the phone went Erik, who called World of Powersports in Decatur to find out when I bought the bike. July of last year. I win! I have over a month more to break stuff. (Just kidding, Canadian and American Suzuki).

To make a long story short, Erik called about half the people in North America on my behalf.

So, Suzuki, in a joint American/Canadian venture, paid for the work on my throttle bodies and coolant leak. I picked up the tab for the birdseed removal and new air filter. Andrew also worked his black magic on the ignition mapping, so my bike runs better than new and I walked away $147.67 the poorer with Erik helping load up my bike.

So, despite the fact that I only got 112 miles, most of it in the wind in sub-45 degree temps and my glass was half-full of rain water -- and despite almost getting plastered in Edmonton while navigating a turn-about when two old ladies in separate pickups decided to merge into each other... despite all that, I had a pretty good day.

My bike is running perfectly and I am ready for the big push north.

(BTW: if you want to read the rest of my adventure you can do so here: http://herald-review.com/special-section/news/two_wheels_north )
truax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
kronson
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Argyll sucks. I know, I live there and have a bmw that I have taken to them several times. Their service sucks, their techs are clueless, and they will give you bad information in the parts department. They are also notoriously overpriced-biggest ripoff in Alberta. Still, waay better than those idiot crooks at the Outpost in Fairbanks. Be glad you didn't have to deal with those bozos.
Best BMW shop in Alberta-Anderwerk in Calgary
Best Suzuki-Alberta Cycle
Best Honda-Scona cycle
Best Yamaha-Riverside
kronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
elmontanero
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,647
Glad someone had good luck with them. The were a complete waste when I went there.
Crossed Canada five years ago, called a week ahead to make sure the visit would go fine.
Promised they'd have tires - no tires. Wouldn't let me source the tires elsewhere, then suddenly found the tires.
Told them that the clutch lever was soft, I was worried about it and could they check it out. Tech comes out and tells me "yeah, that's soft. I'd be worried about that. "
Worst one that I'd ever visited.
I truly hope that they've become a better shop since then.