Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #3871
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Met a Dutch couple staying at the hotel and had dinner with them!
Of course you did.

Uncle Sam has a career waiting for you when you return. http://careers.state.gov/officer

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #3872
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Machu Pichu Logistics

Hey Mark,
Thanks for doing a significant part of my research for me!!
your accommodation co-ords and reviews are awesome.
I want to do the back route to MP when I get there but I'm wondering about bike security. What did you do with valuables? Did you leave some stuff in Cusco or did it all come with you and then left some in Santa Teresa? Or did you have all your valuables with you on the walk to Agua Calientes?

Keep up the great work!
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #3873
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
your accommodation co-ords and reviews are awesome.
I want to do the back route to MP when I get there but I'm wondering about bike security. What did you do with valuables? Did you leave some stuff in Cusco or did it all come with you and then left some in Santa Teresa? Or did you have all your valuables with you on the walk to Agua Calientes?

Keep up the great work!
Thanks for your comments, I think I should has put in more coordinates for accommodations early in the RR but I did not think about it.)! Bike security was not an issue in Santa Teresa. We left our bikes at the Camping Hostel on the far edge of town, the owner put our riding gear in his house. I know others left bikes in the Jungle Hostel in Town.

Of course I took my Passport, Money, computer and Cameras to Aguas Caliente.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #3874
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,893
Radioman... how long have you been out now? miles covered? any routes posted?

congrats on your trip!!
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #3875
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Re-quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
Radioman... how long have you been out now? miles covered? any routes posted?

congrats on your trip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
My trip actually started 6/1/11. Headed into Mexico 10/11. So I figure I am on month 17 of my travels even though I was "home" in the us a few times, I have have my house rented out and have been on the road the whole time!

So far I have ridden about 50,000 miles in 16 countries ! On 3 motos (2of my own and the royal enfield rental in India)
You can look at my spotwalla page to see the actual route. It is on page one.... Just select the number of days....

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 11-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #3876
dfhepner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Radioman, Check out this report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...810189&page=14 They are asking for some suggestions about the area that you went through earlier.
dfhepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #3877
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 449
Mark,

I'm really enjoying your trip report. Thanks for taking us along. I got hooked on yours from following Mike and Jill's RR (since I'm another CO Transalp rider).

I was going to wait until I was all caught up to add my comments/thanks to the RR, but when I got to this

It was just to reminiscent of last nights news report on the train engine that got dropped while unloading off a cargo ship

">

I'm glad your unloading went smoother so we could continue to follow along.

Thanks,
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #3878
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Of course you did.

Uncle Sam has a career waiting for you when you return. http://careers.state.gov/officer
one never knows. Thanks Ken!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #3879
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Cafayate, Argentina

As I rolled in Cafayate which is a Wine area, There was a perfect blue sky and the the Sun was shining ! Found a hostel just off the 3 blocks of off the main square!

This place was really nice!! But of course it was 180 Peso's a night ($38.5 USD for a single) But this is a tourist area and to be expected. But when people say that the south is expensive, it is compared to Mexico, central America or northern SA. Of course compared to the US it is still relatively inexpensive. My daily trip cost for Argentina has crept up with higher lodging and fuel costs (mostly due to longer distances to travel). Sitting about $63 USD a day so far. If I stop more, the rate drops as fuel is about 30% of a daily cost.

Had a great spot for my bike.

I settled into my room with A/C, WIFI (it was a bit up and down), lots of space, hot showers, comfort! Then walking into town. Smiled at the sign!

The hostel has breakfast on the third floor with a nice view over the town. Sunsets were nice as well!

Had dinner again in town with Leo and Violeta!

And the next night we met at the top floor and had some wine and cheese. Really enjoyed chatting with them and spending time. They both have traveled a lot, and was a great time! to you! Hope you have a great trip in Argentina!! Look me up if you travel to the states!

We watched the sun go down, then out for dinner at 9PM None of us are actually ready to eat dinner so late....

This guy was a great "tout" for his restaurant, so we stopped and had dinner..... Of course he rolls out the "best" wines for us to choose from. One was half price which was reasonable, so we go for it!

Had another amazing steak dinner. But they are huge portions so Leo and I split the steak. It was 500Grams

Cafayate is a small town, and a great place to take it easy for a few days! You can go to wineries nearby, or some of the other geological sites. I just took it easy!!

Lots of wine shops!

Took it easy, had Empanadas for lunch

While listening to the guitar player play "Gaucho Music". Relaxed!!

Loved the 3 policia Bikes as they cruised around the small town .....

Spotted another bike bike in town, never saw the rider who was Argentinian....

As I have been riding I have seen these round stickers on the back of some cars and buses. This one had the KPH ..... they must have a "max" speed ...

Back at my hostel...... Which key to use?

Was great to enjoy the small town of Cafayate! Next stop is further south in Mendoza as I need a new rear tire and have to not wander around too much Plus my time is a bit limited now as I have booked a passage on a ship to Antarctica for the second week of December. Will make the ride to Ushuaia in the next month, then double back up to see things I missed ...... and depending on what I do next and where I ship my bike.......

Radioman screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 04:44 AM
Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #3880
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Cafayate to La Rioja

Time to keep moving south. Know that the next few days will be making some miles to Mendoza. It is about 600+ miles south/southwest to Mendoza, just heading down the valley. Not much to stop for, other than the small towns, so I am up early for a ride.

My rear TKC 80 is getting thin..... So I hope to make it to Santiago to replace it.... We will see. Mendoza is fairly large so I might be able to get one there.

out the valley then up over the mountains toward Tucuman

Some fog as I cruise along through the green fields in this area. Got up to 7,000 feet or so

Then some nice lush mountains with winding roads

Buen Viaje "gracias"! As I ride the roads have very light traffic, and I am out in very rural areas...

Fortunately I love getting on my bike and riding. Just taking in the landscapes, the towns and the area. In Argentina, I love that the stop lights have yellow to let you know about when to go.

Then back to wide open spaces

Blue sky ahead

I arrive in La Rioja. Which is a bigger town. I find the Hotel Embajador. Which is OK, just a place to stop.
for the night really. But had a great meal in town.

and a walk around the plaza. Saturday Mass in full swing.

Went to bed fairly early as I have another 300+ mile ride to Mendoza in the morning.

Radioman screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 01:33 PM
Old 11-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #3881
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,659
My friend, you sure are living it. Thanks again for taking us along.
I am really looking forward to Antartica
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #3882
Radioman OP
Moto rider

La Rioja to Mendoza

Fortunately the hotel had an early breakfast which is unusual (most start at 8AM) and I was wanting to be on the road early.

Riding south .... Just me and Blue skies!!

Always funny to me the roads that they have sealed like this. Know that it is a cheaper fix than repave.... but wow.

Riding just lots of plains the colro of the ground changes as I ride!

I ride south with a mountain range on my right, until it fades into the plains and I round the corner and head south west

Cut across Ruta 150 toward a couple national parks.

No time to explore this area, as my tire is wearing and I will need to replace it soon. Funny how when you know it is wearing it takes so much mental focus.

Leaving the mountains behind...

In the plains you can see that they get big rains as there are many spillways across the road.

Some full of sand and debris

Onto a new set of mountains.....

Then leaving them again as I head toward Mendoza

As I get closer to San Juan, I see lots of guys riding bikes out in the plains.

Bad photo, but there are also Covered BBQ areas that people pull over, cook some meat and have a picnic!!

Riding the last 60 miles westward to Mendoza. Another famous Wine region

about 3 miles out..... Wineries start appearing!

Roll into Mendoza early afternoon. My Chain is all of a sudden really loose..... and my rear tire is down to the wear bar. Tighten chain, and started looking for places that Might have a new rear tire. It is Sunday so it will have to wait until the morning to see what I can find.

Radioman screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 04:50 AM
Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #3883
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
My friend, you sure are living it. Thanks again for taking us along.
I am really looking forward to Antartica
Thanks Ray. Definitely very fortunate for this chapter to explore the world. Grateful for the time, money and health to be able to make the journey!! Trying to take in each moment for the joy that it brings, and not living in the future too much as I can tend to do ..... Like what is next!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #3884
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 849
Enjoying the trip as always Mark. Yesterday at mass with my family I found myself wondering (ok, daydreaming) - have you been attending church anywhere in your travels?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #3885
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vintage View Post
Enjoying the trip as always Mark. Yesterday at mass with my family I found myself wondering (ok, daydreaming) - have you been attending church anywhere in your travels?
Yes in Ecuador found a church in English ( otherwise it is all in spanish and I would not understand it ;) and also online services when I have the internet Bandwidth. Has been important for me to do so! thanks for asking!!