Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #1471
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,599
This is my first read of one of your RRs Jay... Fantastic! Epic is a well worn word but is so applicable here.

Aside from the pictures, I feel as if I have been well schooled, TY teacher.

I'm an old diesel mechanic.
Remember the Nokia cellphones that had battery issues, like fire?
That was caused by metalic particals in the battery gel.

Consider returning to an AGM sealed battery.
Look/read this over, post #104... http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=706559&page=7

My best to you,

OldPete
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #1472
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post
Nice jay. Would love to see pics of the XR!
I got some nice shots, posting up soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
sweet! i have a blurb in there i wrote about traveling to mexico.
Nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXIV-Dragon View Post
Jay - great stuff as always
Almost unbelievable that someone would consider studying while on the road let alone a Masters! Wow Congrats!!
Double congrats on the publishing gig
Loving the panoramic photos.
Ride safe.
Thanks! Yeah, I was discouraged by a couple people initially saying that the studying would take away from the journey, but going slowly has helped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
Just got done with the last two pages of updates. So informational and rich in pictures like always. Stay safe out there and cant wait to see where this journey takes you next
Later
John
Thanks, John. Always glad to hear you guys like my writing and photo style.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #1473
PorLaTierra
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 112
Is youre route changing?

Hi Jay,

Ive been following since day 1. I took some notes for my own trip into S. America thanks! Now I find myself in Spain, working a bit and riding a bit as well. It would be a pleasure to host you, I've got a guest room and a garage. I live in the South on the coast, in Murcia. If you do make it I can suggest a couple of nice routes as well

I cant wait for more, I hope you're getting some chill out time after getting your degree!

Saludos,
Ryan
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #1474
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Cool2

Here's a slideshow that I got posted on Yahoo! India on my ride through Egypt

http://in.lifestyle.yahoo.com/photos/egypt-a-moveable-feast-slideshow

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #1475
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post
I just finished reading the entire story up until now... took me about two weeks it's very humbling what you're doing, and I admire your perseverance! Keep up the good work Jay, you deserve every bit of credit

What has been your best tire set this trip, in terms of mileage? I was thinking of switching my tires (currently Michelin Anakees) to Tourances for my own (slightly less epic) trip this summer, and I'll mostly be on pavement.
Hey, thanks for that!
For tires, I'd have to say go with the Heidenau K60 Scout, a 50/50 tire, great life on tarmac and excellent grip off-road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
This is my first read of one of your RRs Jay... Fantastic! Epic is a well worn word but is so applicable here.
Aside from the pictures, I feel as if I have been well schooled, TY teacher.
I'm an old diesel mechanic.
Remember the Nokia cellphones that had battery issues, like fire?
That was caused by metalic particals in the battery gel.
Consider returning to an AGM sealed battery.
Look/read this over, post #104... http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=706559&page=7
My best to you,
OldPete
Thanks, Pete Glad you like my RR style
Yeah, I'm wondering if the Shorai battery has anything to do with my electrical issues, but every other mechanic I've talked to said it shouldn't be a problem. If and when I make it to South Africa, I'll try and look for an AGM battery. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorLaTierra View Post
Hi Jay,
Ive been following since day 1. I took some notes for my own trip into S. America thanks! Now I find myself in Spain, working a bit and riding a bit as well. It would be a pleasure to host you, I've got a guest room and a garage. I live in the South on the coast, in Murcia. If you do make it I can suggest a couple of nice routes as well
I cant wait for more, I hope you're getting some chill out time after getting your degree!
Saludos,
Ryan
Hola Ryan, thanks for the offer, but yeah, I think my route is changing now. This breakdown has sapped a lot of time for where I wanted to be by now and I don't think I'm going to make it into Europe... Route is still being defined but I should know more when I get to South Africa. Cheers.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #1476
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Visas, check. New electrical parts for sanDRina, check. Time to leave Nairobi! South African visa came through with no problems and Tanzanian visa took all of four hours. New stator has been installed in my engine case; new CDI, wiring harness and rectifier on hand and got some decent engine oil. Bought a few presents for the guys who've been watching over sanDRina. Anxious to get back to Kibondo and see if she's ready to ride Long bus journeys coming up...

Old 11-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #1477
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,187
Best of luck Jay getting the bike running again with those new parts!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #1478
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post

Not all who wander are lost.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #1479
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

I made it back to Kibondo! Bus journeys were a bit rough but passed the time by listening to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance on audiobook to get in the mood. Good tips, such as knowing that all bike issues can be traced to rational, objective causes and not Voodoo magic, although electrical issues seem like that. And then it goes deep into philosophy, with a long treatise on 'quality.'

sanDRina was patiently waiting for me just like I left her, along with my other gear. I installed the new parts and she fires up and idles nicely. Test ride tomorrow to confirm that the issues's been resolved (fingers crossed).

Old 11-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #1480
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Talking

sanDRina rides once again!

Went for some extensive test rides today and so far sounds like the issue has been solved, but I can't say for sure until I cover at least a 100 kms and get to the next town.

The ride continues Heading south...

Old 11-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #1481
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
what was it?

What do you think the problem was at the end of the day. I reckon the pickup coil but what would I know?? We all hope its all sort now though. Happy travels Jay.

Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #1482
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,187

sounds like computer repair...start putting a bunch on new parts in there and see what happens. so what is any of the old parts did you keep?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #1483
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama View Post

Not all who wander are lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
What do you think the problem was at the end of the day. I reckon the pickup coil but what would I know?? We all hope its all sort now though. Happy travels Jay.
I think it was the stator in the end (installed the 250W uprated one), but I also put in a CDI from a 2006 and an almost-new rectifier from a 2001, so I can't say for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

sounds like computer repair...start putting a bunch on new parts in there and see what happens. so what is any of the old parts did you keep?
Yup, swapped too many components to pin-point the issue, but just glad it's solved now

I left the original ignition coil still on there. Bike is running fine with it, so it was not the issue. Wiring harness left also and Shorai battery still in there. I only replaced the CDI, rectifier and stator.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #1484
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

19 November 2012

First day back in the saddle after 10 weeks and rode 250 trouble-free kms to Kigoma, on the shores of Lake Tanganyika. The rainy season is getting started here but it was dry for the past few days and the hard-packed mud road made for some good-riding. Felt fantastic to be standing on the pegs and cruising in top gear She's a heavy lady, but well-balanced now and loving it!

I'm CouchSurfing with Elias, a Tanzanian who's working for the Jane Goodall Institute that specializes in chimpanzee research. The chimps are up north in Gombe Stream National Park, but I'm just enjoying the lakeshore and happy to be back in the riding groove. Heavy rain last night but the strong tropical sun has been out today drying the mud roads for tomorrow's ride.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #1485
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

The motorcycle gods must be trying to tell me something. My bad luck continues. sanDRina's problems are back :(

This morning I left Kigoma and rode a nice 100 kms of new asphalt, cruising at around 55 mph, the bike was sounding good. I hit the junction town of Uvinza and got back on the dirt trail south. About 20 kms south of Uvinza, the bike died. A loss of power. It felt just like the first time she died before Kibondo. I let her cool a few minutes, then she fired up and I rode another 10 kms before she died again.

I figured since I didn't replace the original ignition coil, maybe it was heating up again and causing the loss of power. I stripped her down and put on the ignition coil that I got from South Africa. I also replaced the outer spark plug, it looked very white, burning lean (I can't remove the inner plug, feels stuck) and adjusted my air speed screw on the carb to 2.5 turns out, it was at 1.5 turns out. She fired up and sounded good but died again in 4 kms.

Not good. Rain clouds were forming overhead and I didnt want to be stuck with a sick bike on muddy roads. I decided to turn around and head for Uvinza, now 34 kms away. I remembered the advice of unplugging the stator from a mechanic friend in Nairobi and did that and she fired right up. I thought maybe something was wrong with the 250W stator. But she died again in a few kms. Then I decided to unplug the rectifier and now she sounded much better. We rode 14 kms before she died. I let her cool for 20 mins and then managed to ride into town and find a small hotel.

I feel so disheartened. I don't know what else to do and am not feeling confident in the bike anymore. I'm surrounded by dirt roads in all directions, except back to Kigoma, and the rainy season is getting stated. If I do something and she fires up and rides well again for a few kms of a test ride, I can't be sure she'll last till the next town, 200 kms south.

I've decided to throw in the towel and put her on a truck and head back to Nairobi. This sucks!! and heading back to Kenya is going to make visas complicated again. Argghhh!