ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
Then you did not do it right. Or what is "worthless" to you is gold to most. I have the entire west coast on my phone and it works. If I had no more memory and needed the entire country, a clever person would just download more when they do have a signal.

I have mentioned this several times with little reaction. Google Maps gives you exactly what the OP asks for. And it is free. That may be the problem, people seem to demand something they need to pay for. I would not want to be in the GPS or map selling business right now.
When I go to select an area on the phone, it only allows me to select about 75 mb worth of data. This gives me roughly a 60x60 mile section. I guess I could do this hundreds to thousands of times to get the entire US and Canada, but I'm just not willing to spend my time doing that. I then also have to hope that I didn't miss areas and worry about if overlapping areas will work seamlessly.

Is there a better way to do this? Is there an app for it?

Free is better. But, I'm willing to buy an app if it is superior to a free one.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by St_rydr View Post
How did you load it into you phone? Is there an app for that to make it easy?
Just use Google maps and click 'download'. It is built in.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 315
Take a look at Locus... You can cache various maps including Google, Bing, USGS Topo, and can connect to your Google Maps saved maps.

There is a free version and a pay for use version.

2013 Guzzi Stelvio (For Sale!!!)
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #19
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,104
If you want the entire country all available all the time then a Zuni is going to be your solution. There is no total solution on the android that I'm aware of.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
If you want the entire country all available all the time then a Zuni is going to be your solution. There is no total solution on the android that I'm aware of.
As I said, CoPilot is one of many solutions. I have the entire US and Canada on my Android.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #21
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Mapfactor Navigator
Navit

Those were the first 2 results from a Google search. The first one looks pretty good.
Copilot looks pretty good too; I just wish they covered Mexico.

Edit: Just found another: Sygic. Fully offline and uses TomTom maps.

Craneguy screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 02:43 PM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Mapfactor Navigator
Navit

Those were the first 2 results from a Google search. The first one looks pretty good.
Copilot looks pretty good too; I just wish they covered Mexico.

Edit: Just found another: Sygic. Fully offline and uses TomTom maps.
I use Sygic on an S2 (mounted on the tripples via Ultimate Addons case/mount) and so far it worked great on over half dozen 2500-4000km trips...

I would suggest breaking the route into day trips and planning by selecting start/end points and then adding 'travel via' points (my routes aren't typically direct :) )....

Nice option (for road bikes) is ability to avoid dirt roads as part of route planning...
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #23
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
sygic

mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #24
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
I've been using offline maps for a long time on my phone, and using my phone clipped to the handlebars.

I'm currently using CoPilot Live. This does almost everything I need. You can just have the maps on 2D or 3D ( I hate 3D). You can route using different rules for quickest or more scenic, etc. But it does not have tracks that are practical to export.

I also use OSMand+. Cheap. The maps are free. It does tracks well and has a pretty good feature set. Routing is a bit weak, but that isn't the reason I use it.It has a neat feature where you set the destination, and it gives you a simple map, with an arrow pointing towards the destination. You select the path you want to take by looking at the map or just randomly driving. You glance at the arrow occasionally to see if you are headed in the right general direction. Neat way to explore, yet still get to a destination.

Then there is Trapster and Waze. both are online maps with police and traffic camera warnings.

And of course Google maps, which are great for planning and searching, but limited on routing types.

I've tried Orux maps and a few others, but I just can't get used to them.
Is there a way to load the CoPilot maps onto the android's SD card? The menu option doesn't seem to do anything and I want the whole North America map... more than the phone's onboard memory can take...
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #25
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
Is there a way to load the CoPilot maps onto the android's SD card? The menu option doesn't seem to do anything and I want the whole North America map... more than the phone's onboard memory can take...
It didn't give me an option that I recall. It loaded the maps on the SD card by default. The US is about 1.2gb, so do it over a fast WiFi.
I believe there is was an option to download the maps to a PC, then transfer them to the device. I'm not sure that is still possible.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #26
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
I use CoPilot for on-road navigation and Backcountry Navigator for off road use with my Android tablet.. BN is pretty cool, full set of topo maps and can import and export tracks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....license&hl=en
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #27
macintosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I have been using and can recommend CoPilot live and iGO. Problem with CoPilot is verbosity level - its just keeps saying things over and over til you almost hate it. iGO allows setting of verbosity level in three steps from minimal to verbose.

Also suggest you get Waterproof Tough Case for your S3.

Also have tried Navitel, Route66, Sygic, Navigon - can not really recommend any of those. They are probably good but I did not really like any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
Is there a way to load the CoPilot maps onto the android's SD card?
You have to edit configuration files (XML) manually and move maps over by copying them to SD card using either PC or Android's own file manager.

How to move CoPilot maps onto the SD card:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1439748
macintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #28
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
I just wanted to pop back in and give a huge +1 to Sygic.

I got it installed with the Mexico maps (around 500mb) and I wasn't expecting miracles.

Not only does it show the interior roads in my little compound, it also has the tiny little village I use to test GPS maps. Garmin doesn't, and Google Navigation (which is a hacked copy that works here) is useless as there is no cell service within 20 miles of the place.

Routing is almost instant, and so far looks accurate and seems to offer the most practical path.

It's about $35 and looks to be worth every penny. I'll update this as I try it for real. If I had found out about this earlier I wouldn't have bought the Nuvi 500 a few weeks ago for $170.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #29
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Sygic and Copilot seem to get good reviews. I liked iGo a lot but my understanding is that there is no Android version out yet - only IOS and Win CE. Personally the moment iGo bring out a commercially available Android version I'll jump in that direction.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #30
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
I hadn't checked back in on this thread in awhile. I ended up downloading the MapFactor Navigator since it was free. I'll give it a try and if I don't like it, I'll try Sygic next, as that seems to have really good reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macintosh View Post
Also suggest you get Waterproof Tough Case for your S3.
Thank you!! That's exactly what I have been looking for. I ended up buying a Ram Aqua Box for my S3 because I couldn't find any motorcycle mounted waterproof cases specifically made for the GS3. The Ram box seems like a good case, but it's really big, since it's a universal case. I'll probably hold off on buying this case, pending on how the Aqua box works out for me, but I'll keep the page bookmarked.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote