ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #16
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,398
On that route above, the one that goes through all the state forests, assuming you're going East-West, it starts to get very entertaining right around Big Bear City --- however, that area is at high enough altitude that weather may play a factor.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #17
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,063
I'd advise a loop that crosses the central valley and runs down the foothills, crossing back east farther south.

If you're going to be up here in Marin County and want a nice loop, think about 1 out to Stinson Beach, on up to about Tomales, then cut inland and over 37 to head east on 80. If you've got a bit of time, I'd recommend a loop up over 121 to 128, which is a nice ride up through Napa and will show you some nice vineyards and spectacular views. From there, you can probably navigate a course over the valley, but 80 is expedient. From there, consider 49 south. You'll have an amazing ride over some spectacular roads and will go right by Yosemite. If 120 is open, you can cut through and over to Mono Lake and Lee Vining.

This route will keep you from having weather issues and will keep you from getting stuck. Traffic at Thanksgiving around Tahoe is horrendous, so I'd avoid, avoid, avoid.

You also do not want to get stuck in a snowstorm over 80 on a motorcycle. You'll be hard pressed to secure lodging if it all goes bad.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #18
two_wheeled OP
two_wheeled

Oddometer: 30
bump

bump
two_wheeled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
two_wheeled OP
two_wheeled

still planning.

Would you believe I was just trying to plan the same trip for this coming Thanksgiving.
Forgot I had done all this before.
duh.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
They just had a foot of snow in Truckee.... 3 snow days in a row (schools)

If it melts, I may ride up to see my daughter, but it could snow at any time. And ice is always a possibilty. Weather is day to day now.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #21
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,370
No problem, you can see different stuff.

You're going to have the same risk of snow in the Sierra this year, so you might think about coming down the west side of the Sierra along Hwy 49. The roads are great, and there are lots of little towns to see in the Gold Country. Almost all of them have interesting restaurants and motels.

Did you see the vintage Motorcycle Museum in Solvang (near Lompoc) when you went through last time? Also, a bit north of San Francisco is wine country. The little roads around there are the closest thing to European countryside I have seen in California. In Petaluma, there is a motel 2 doors down from the Lagunitas Brewery. Their SF Fusion beer is my all time favorite. If you are into wine, there are some good ones there as well.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
spa is riding in ice and snow and people think I ride crazy? You got bigger balls than I. I've ridden in it, but not by choice. Keep her on two wheels bro.
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #23
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,712
If you come through PCH through Santa Monica/Malibu, call me ill take you guys on a great loop through the Malibu alps.. Stop by the rock store and back out to pch... Or PM me... Always looking for a excuse to ride the canyons!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #24
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
ride

Hello,

Reading this I am agreeing with all, about the snow. To late. Talked to Dave at Hells Kitchen, SoCal, today and he went over Tioga and had snowball fights. Big storm supposed to hit in two days. Almost read this whole thing till I fingered out it was a yr old, nice one!! Stay away from south of Malibu on PCH unless you want a light every 100 yards or so. The elephant seals are cool for sure. Was once there and I was the only one that was speaking English, a worldwide must see. Of course I was talking to myself. The Malibu alps are great fun as is PCH north.
Would ride with 1224R but I am usually on a tw200, xt225, dr650 or a Burgman 650 scooter, which is my race bike.

Good luck,

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #25
two_wheeled OP
two_wheeled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1224R View Post
If you come through PCH through Santa Monica/Malibu, call me ill take you guys on a great loop through the Malibu alps.. Stop by the rock store and back out to pch... Or PM me... Always looking for a excuse to ride the canyons!
1224R, are you suggestions some mountain roads will still be open in the next week or so?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #26
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheeled View Post
1224R, are you suggestions some mountain roads will still be open in the next week or so?
Probably referring to the coastal hills, which should be open. There are some great side roads in the SoCal hills.

Piuma Road in Malibu Canyon
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote