User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
PauHana OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
GSA questions

Considering a 2013 GSA to replace my current ride and had a few questions after reading some related post on this forum. Want to go to one bike I can use primarily on pavement, but with offroad possible.

Wind Protection. - This is my biggest complaint with current ride. Gone thorugh 4 different screens and head buffeting and noise just wears me out at highway speeds. How bad is head buffetting for rider/pillion on GSA. Seems loads of folks have switched out screen Am 6' 2" 34 in inseam.

2up. From what I have read GSA seems to work well as 2 up ride.

Stock seats. From reading sounds like most replace. Not unusal for any bike.

Also considering an RT but like the thought of being able to do maintenace without having to pull off tuperware, and to go off road when I want to explore.

Am sure these are often asked questions.

Randy
Old 11-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
On wind protection: I am a little over 6'1", 32" inseam. My seat is set to the high position. I use two screens and two helmets. Primary set-up is stock screen in low postion with an Arai XD-3. All the wind blast comes in at face level, which is just fine, since max airflow is my goal when it is 70F and up. The stock screen in full up and the XD-3 are incompatable - the buffeting/low frequency drumming at the visor/top of helmet makes me insane in under five minutes. Also, Shoei Neotech with the stock screen full up suffers from low frequency vibration/drumming at the very top of the helmet - no good. ZTechnic Tall screen in full up is ok with the XD-3, and yet again a tad bit better with the Neotech, though there still is a bit of the low frequency rumble at the very top of the helmet. I have not yet found nirvana in regards to the buffeting at the top of the helmet.

Seat: I don't mind the stock seat, though my Sweetie uses her Russell DayLong pillion. If I wear my LD Comfort underpants I can ride the stock seat all day.

2-up: The GS Adventure rocks. My wife (same person as my Sweetie! ) complained of limited leg room with the stock seat, but once we went to a RDL for her, since it sits higher by about 1.5", no more leg room complaints.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,981
At 5-10 I love the wind protection of the GSA. Stock (with a Russell Day Long saddle) works just fine for me on trips of a couple weeks and 5k miles. My wife has always complained about buffeting on the pillion. Really pronounced buffeting that gives her a stiff neck and therefore makes my day misery.

I thought about investing in different windscreens and seats for her, but in the end I decided her screams of terror detracted from my motorcycling enjoyment. I now leave her home and travel with my dog.

Pete
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
fastgpfred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Tons of windshield options. You can adjust the air.
Really try & borrow a GSA and test ride with your bride. Go for a ride with a GSA owner & swap rides away from traffic
fastgpfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 982
I traded in a perfectly good RT after 4,000 miles & 4 month for a GS/A. It is, in every way, superior to the RT.

6'2", 34" inseam, I've got the windshield 1 notch below it's uppermost position with a TT spoiler on it and the wind protection is fantastic. No, it doesn't have the silent bubble the RT had with the Ztechnic windshield, but that's fine with me. Wife had no issue riding nearly 6,000 miles in 11 days on the back of the bike last June.

And dynamically the Adventure can wipe the floor with the RT.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Stkmkt1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
I have the '09 GSA model. Stock windscreen. Just had Bill Mayer make me a set of seats. Love them to death. I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam. My wife is 5'4". We both love riding together on the GSA. I consider it far superior to the RT and, for that matter, even the Goldwing.

I find the wind protection is great. I ride it year round. Great touring bike.
Needs: new garage (in planning) Need more room for more bikes.
Stkmkt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Oh the choices...I was there myself several months ago. Test rode the RT and its a great bike, but the rugged, no-nonsense, get-me-dirty mentality of the GS/A is a breath of fresh air. I own a Harley; I didn't need a second bike that had to be kept clean!!

That all being said....I'm 5'10" with a 33" inseam, so short in the torso, therefore sitting very well behind the windshield. In cold weather, I leave the shield up all the way...smooth sailing, no noise, no buffetting. Otherwise, I leave it one notch below full up. Same story...no buffetting.

EDIT: I wear a full face Shoei Qwest. If I open the visor, I still have good clean air, but get a whistle. In the proper down position, I don't get any air hitting the shield which in the cold weather means I have some fogging isues. And in the warm weather, well, it can be down right hot! I can drop the windshield to the the lowest or 2nd to lowest position and get more air to my face. This makes for a little more noise, but no buffetting.

My wife who is quite short - 5'2" and short in the leg has zero issues with wind and noise and plenty of legroom. We also have a Harley Street Glide, which buffetts the heck out of my full face helmet at anything above 60mph. She catches tons of air on the HD, not so much on the GSA.

The smooth air, smooth engine and incredible ride quality of the GSA is far superior to my Street Glide. The HD feels like an old bike in comparison...the GSA soaks up any road quality issues with no jarring into the rider and passenger.

Go spend some time on both the RT and GSA - take advantage of the liberal demo policies of BMW and take your time deciding. The GSA is so far my favorite ride....over the Harley, over my prior sportbikes. Its off-road capability adds to the adventures, but even if you don't plan on using it that way, its still a superior street machine than many other bikes given its incredible fuel range, long-travel suspension which soaks up anything the worst roads can give you.

Biggest thing I miss.......cruise control. The Harley totally spoiled me. I hate the cramp-buster thing so I guess a Kaoko is in my future.

Good luck on the purchasing journey! Make it fun and enjoy!!

'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten

TuonoBiker screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 08:20 PM
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Yeah, cruise control is really the only thing the GS/A is missing.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
For sure.

I really am contemplating selling the HD. Wife and I took advantage of warm weather Sunday and were out for about 80 miles. Still enjoy it, but I sit so low in the torso it puts me at a really dumb position behind that Street Glide Shorty windshield. I'm so short in the torso, I look above the stock shield about 3 or 4 inches. Most guys look above the full touring windshields on the Harley's....

The GSA is the first bike that just seems to fit me ergonomically everywhere...leg room, reach to the bars, windshield height...zis is ze vay of perfektion
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
For sure.

I really am contemplating selling the HD. Wife and I took advantage of warm weather Sunday and were out for about 80 miles. Still enjoy it, but I sit so low in the torso it puts me at a really dumb position behind that Street Glide Shorty windshield. I'm so short in the torso, I look above the stock shield about 3 or 4 inches. Most guys look above the full touring windshields on the Harley's....

The GSA is the first bike that just seems to fit me ergonomically everywhere...leg room, reach to the bars, windshield height...zis is ze vay of perfektion
Funny thing is that I'm missing my Ultra a bit. Not so much when I'm riding hard, but I miss the laid-back position and how planted it was when I'm just cruising.

Love to get a Road Glide, but I'm not willing to sell one of the other ones for it.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
I personally love the stock seat, can ride on it all day with no problem. You may need to mess with the bars under the seat however, so that you don't slide forward.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
PauHana,

I'm 6'4" and I have the windscreen at the highest -with- a $125 Touratech extension on top. Yep. That helps me, puts most of the buffeting at the top of my helmet.
With that extension the wife still gets buffeting at her level (she's 5'7) and I've got a custom seat for the pillion, plus she's on a AirHawk2, plus she's on a sheepskin cover - so she is WAY up there - but comfortable. Hey sometimes that toosh just takes precedence... that just means I have a very limited hearing. All except for head-slaps. A higher windscreen may come into play later. The side wings and tank deflect a lot of wind around you, so that part is cool.

2up. For us loaded up and the ESA set for 2 up with luggage; it seems to have the shocks at the highest point. Which is fine for riding - but getting on and off - that's something you'll have to work out. I had to get off first and then her - looked awkward but it worked.

Yep, custom seats and AirHawk2's for long trips - but that's on a personal level.

For the GSA - loved the fuel range, 300+ miles per tank... and we averaged 45 mpg with two up and loaded. Not bad - 2011 model. We ran in 104* temps and the bike took it well, temp bar never came up. For me the big pluses for the BMW were - fuel injection for elevation changes, ABS - nice brakes, good fuel mileage, excellent fuel tank range, nice wind coverage and I liked the suspension. Downside - that height issue when getting on / off the bike. One of these days I'll upgrade the suspension with a set of Wilburs and lower the suspension down 3" - that should make a world of a difference. Hey, the wife says she wants to go again - - yep - were going next year too.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #13
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauHana View Post
Considering a 2013 GSA to replace my current ride and had a few questions... Randy
Wind Protection. - Am 6' 2" 34 in inseam.... You have a short torso for 6' 2". You may be fine on a GSA. The FASTER you go, the smaller the 'quiet' envelope. The Touretech and Wunderlich wind deflectors help, but if you want QUIET, get an RT or LT.

2up... Effortless...

Stock seats... They're fine... Especially if you have good posture.

Also considering an RT....don't even...

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

Sent from my rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:10 AM   #14
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Came into the GSA from an RT myself, and while I know a lot of folks who use cruise control, I have never been a fan of any sort of long term use of it on a bike. I did install the Kaoko throttle lock on the GS when I want a short break of the throttle, but I don't use it for any length of time.

I think this (like many things in life) comes down to personal preference and how often you used the cruise control to begin with. My RT was the first bike I had ever owned in 30+ years of riding that had cruise control, so maybe that's why I didn't use often and never felt comfortable with it.

Wayne
Old 11-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #15
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
At 5-10 I love the wind protection of the GSA. Stock (with a Russell Day Long saddle) works just fine for me on trips of a couple weeks and 5k miles. My wife has always complained about buffeting on the pillion. Really pronounced buffeting that gives her a stiff neck and therefore makes my day misery.

I thought about investing in different windscreens and seats for her, but in the end I decided her screams of terror detracted from my motorcycling enjoyment. I now leave her home and travel with my dog.

Pete
how do you travel with the dog. This is on my wish list, but my border collie is pretty active. I've been looking for a dog carrier.
Wdwrkr is offline   Reply With Quote