Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
UK: Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and Southern Scotland.

Dear ADV readers.....I'm on a fishing expedition here and would appreciate some feedback from UK, EU and more global riders interested in the UK.

We have a barn on our property, which is pretty much smack in the middle of circles drawn round the Lakes, Dales and Trough of Bowland. Fabulous for both trail, tarmac and dual sport riding, giving it pretty much year round appeal.

We are considering converting it into a weekender/week holiday/studio/crash pad with about 6 beds aimed squarely at biking types (as oppose to bikers) as we have lots of bike storage, but not a lot of room for four wheeled visitors.

The place is 100 metres from pubs, 100 metres from a chinese and pizza takeaways and 150 metres from a super market making it ideal for an easy life. Yet its in a quiet village location, with easy access to some of the best riding in the UK.

Guiding or routes would of course be offered.

Assuming self catering value sort of prices (it would be a pretty simple set up with decent facilities), do you guys think this would be an appealing proposition?

Not looking for bookings (obviously!) as its not even converted yet, but I am trying to guage appeal/interest in the region really.

Please comment and share this around. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
tonto
Son of a preacher man

Oddometer: 1,541
Do the local pubs do food, and if they do is it only in season or all year round ?.
tonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
jp-speed-triple OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Yep, open year round.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
redmurty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Go for it, cheers Spud
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
haggsbank
n00b

Oddometer: 1
bunk house

hi
im just building a bunkhouse in cumbria and campsite with parking for caravans and motorhomes , im hoping to join forces with another campsite for bikers to offer tours ,if you want to get in touch, about what you will have to go through but it might scare you off lol, if your in a area of aonob it can cause grief ,neighbours , fire regs , planners , natural england for bat and barn owl survey and it goes on but besides that go for it ,
haggsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
tonto
Son of a preacher man

Oddometer: 1,541
Then I'd go for it, very basic kitchenette, good shower, drying room and a pub is all you need; oh some beds as well.
tonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,071
Great idea , we, 'll be doing something along those lines when the house is finished here in SW France
Phil
Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Yes.

I ride around there quite a lot, it would be nice to stay and make a long w/e of it, rather than schlepping home.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Shunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Many like it in your area?
Or places in a similar price band?

If not then go for it. It's the kinda place I'd happily rent for a week or two just for me the O:H.
Shunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-speed-triple View Post
Dear ADV readers.....I'm on a fishing expedition here and would appreciate some feedback from UK, EU and more global riders interested in the UK.

We have a barn on our property, which is pretty much smack in the middle of circles drawn round the Lakes, Dales and Trough of Bowland. Fabulous for both trail, tarmac and dual sport riding, giving it pretty much year round appeal.

We are considering converting it into a weekender/week holiday/studio/crash pad with about 6 beds aimed squarely at biking types (as oppose to bikers) as we have lots of bike storage, but not a lot of room for four wheeled visitors.

The place is 100 metres from pubs, 100 metres from a chinese and pizza takeaways and 150 metres from a super market making it ideal for an easy life. Yet its in a quiet village location, with easy access to some of the best riding in the UK.

Guiding or routes would of course be offered.

Assuming self catering value sort of prices (it would be a pretty simple set up with decent facilities), do you guys think this would be an appealing proposition?

Not looking for bookings (obviously!) as its not even converted yet, but I am trying to guage appeal/interest in the region really.

Please comment and share this around. Thanks in advance.
I'm looking to bring a group from the US to the UK in July, and this sounds like it would be a good spot for us to base camp. Have you made this happen?

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
ElleOn2Wheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
I'm looking to bring a group from the US to the UK in July, and this sounds like it would be a good spot for us to base camp. Have you made this happen?
I can recommend Haggs Bank Bunkhouse with comfy beds, flat camping & plenty of parking :)
ElleOn2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleOn2Wheels View Post
I can recommend Haggs Bank Bunkhouse with comfy beds, flat camping & plenty of parking :)
Thank you!

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote