Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #16
TFB43 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Factory BMW Panniers. Altrider rack with rotopax mount.
TFB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
Forrest39
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
No wonder… I hadn't even considered the factory ones. They look great!
Thanks for the response.
-Kevin
Forrest39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #18
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
Have you considered the Adventure Tank? http://www.advtank.com/products/bmw-...auxillary-tank

I've got one and it is nice when you are trying to cover serious miles.
+2 on Adventure tank! Love mine!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #19
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 310
One is enough and maybe to much

Don't mean to stir the pot but we have just done the Alaska trip this past summer, including the Dempster highway (killer ride).

I, like you was really concerned about carrying extra fuel especially with the two bike. In the end the worry and the effort was all for not. If you have one rotopax you have got enough. If there are roads then there are people and if there are people then there is fuel. I also found that the 800's fuel economy really shines off the pavement where the speeds are lower.

When the road gets tough as it did for us during extreme weather on the Dempster you will wish you didn't have all that extra weight onboard.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #20
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
I'll chime in here with my experience from this past summer as well. I rode solo on my 09 f800gs from Michigan to Alaska and back. I took a 2 gallon rotopax with me. In reality 1 gallon was all I needed. I didn't go up the dempster, but I did go up the Dalton to Deadhorse. I used the extra gas 4 times. Three times for my own bike and once for a guy I had come across on a Honda that ran out of gas. I needed the spare fuel twice on the Dalton. Once in Stewart BC when the gas station ran out of gas for about 3 hours and I didn't want to spend the night there.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #21
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Have you considered the Adventure Tank? http://www.advtank.com/products/bmw-...auxillary-tank

I've got one and it is nice when you are trying to cover serious miles.
I have looked at that for mine. I am highly considering it. I just wonder how easy it is to switch for a top box when needed. Or do you even bother? I hardly ever see people using top boxes, especially off road.
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #22
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodieselandon View Post
I have looked at that for mine. I am highly considering it. I just wonder how easy it is to switch for a top box when needed. Or do you even bother? I hardly ever see people using top boxes, especially off road.
I was not planning on using a topbox, so it was not a consideration for me. When traveling I use the Twisted Throttle Dry-spec bag system on the rack that is intergrated with the Adventure Tank. Worked great on my 2500 mile trip to Nova Scotia this summer.

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #23
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
I was not planning on using a topbox, so it was not a consideration for me. When traveling I use the Twisted Throttle Dry-spec bag system on the rack that is intergrated with the Adventure Tank. Worked great on my 2500 mile trip to Nova Scotia this summer.
I like the looks of that dry bag system, looks like it would work with my MOD top plate and Rotopax too.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

The thing I like about the Rotopax is they have them for fuel, water, and tools.

Where did you get the dry bag made for the adv tank?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #25
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodieselandon View Post
The thing I like about the Rotopax is they have them for fuel, water, and tools.

Where did you get the dry bag made for the adv tank?
If you are referencing the one I use, it is from Twisted Throttle. It was NOT made specifically for the Adv Tank, but it fits nicely up there with some supplimenting the stock mounting hardware with Roc Straps. It gave me plenty of room for all of my camping gear.

I like the flexibilty of Rotopax also, but there are plenty of other ways to carry water and tools that I think work better anyway - my $.02

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #26
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

I agree
Old 11-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #27
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
What is the reason to cover the RotoPax with material?? Another thought on carrying fuel in Alaska and the Yukon......gas stations are not always open. Yes, the longest stretches are probably between Coldfoot to Deadhorse, Dawson City to Eagle Plains, and Eagle Plains to Inuvik but other stretches get longer when a gas station is closed. I skipped the gas station in Jakes Corner figuring I would get gas in Carcross. The sign at the station in Carcross said "closed until further notice". I limped into Skagway, going 35 to 45 miles per hour, and coasted down the hill to conserve what little fuel I had left. And the dumb of it was, I had my 1 3/4 gal RotoPax on the bike but it was empty because I didn't think I would need extra gas until my run up to Deadhorse!!! I skipped a sort of a gas station on the east side of the Old Denali Highway thinking I would get gas in Paxon only to find the station closed. By this time I had filled the RotoPax and had to use it to make it to Delta Jct. Coming home there was a sign that said "check your fuel, next gas 92 miles". I knew I could make it only to find that the station 92 miles down the road had been closed for over a year!! I didn't need to dump fuel into the tank from Coldfoot to Deadhorse, but I ran out two miles from Coldfoot coming back (speeds were higher). Soooo, good idea to carry some fuel in case of the unexpected, not just looking at a mileage map. The new 1 3/4 RotoPax turned out to be a perfect size to mount on my tail rack.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #28
TFB43 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
"What is the reason to cover the RotoPax with material??"

Mostly to not draw attention to the gas tank on the back of the bike. But makes it easier to carry with the handle. Some people don't like the big red gas can on their bike. You can also use straps to attach it to your panniers. There are loops on the bag that allow that. Keeps you from having to drill into your panniers for the rotopax mount.
TFB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #29
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone know if the ADV tank works with Touratech panniers? They look like the rack for the top box is part of the mounting system for the panniers so I am not sure...
Old 11-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Just an FYI, you can stack a bunch of stuff on top of the RotoPax. This allows you to put it on your tail rack using the RotoPax mounting hardware. I put my Wolfman waterproof duffel on it, along with a duffel ahead of it, and strapped everything down with RokStraps. I called RotoPax to see if this pressure would cause a leak, and they said heck no. They drive pickup trucks on the RotoPax tanks in their parking lot for testing. As mentioned above, the sun and hot weather has more to do with the shape than stacking stuff on top of it. On a hot day coming home the tank ballooned way up but never leaked.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote