Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #31
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
I raced with WERA in Las Vegas and we camped. The mattress pad worked great for me. Can't wait to get out sleeping bags. We are currently using the sleeping bags that I used as a kid with my family. Going to get soem big agnes bags so our pad is integrated.

We went to Rawhyde today for an Adventure day and had a blast. Did a small dirt class.

Had a blast. Also picked up the small giant loop saddlebags for Natalie. Also ordering a bunch of things online tomorrow.

Time!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #32
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
So have u decided if your coming in 2013 ?

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #33
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
2011, 34 days, Key West to Prudhoe Bay and back to Key West, 14,866 miles. Total cost was about $7800 which included trinkets and gifts, oil changes and one set of tires (knobbies were paid for before I left home, paid for a set of Tourances in transit). I stayed at reasonable priced hotels, ones that I did not feel a need to set up my camping gear inside, and I ate very well. I did not eat at a chain restaurant but twice the entire trip!! Mom and pop locals are the way to go!!! I only camped 4 nights as I spent lots of time just exploring and soaking in the scenery and just really didn't fell like burning an extra 1 to 1.5 hours at the end/start of the day mess with camp setup and tear down. I used the time to see more stuff!!!

In Fairbanks, for bike service and tire changes, if needed, I highly recommend Adventure Cycleworks!! They are the best!! http://www.advcycleworks.com/ Shawn is 'aktracks' on this forum, I forget Dan's handle!!!

Heed the warnings on the weather, your abilities and your bikes abilities. Below is what Antigun Pass can hand you in a good rain!!!! Pucker factor was high coming down that hill knowing that 2 tractor/trailers were not far behind me!!

Good luck and enjoy your trip.........I know I can't wait to get back up there in 2014!!!!

FLARider1 screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 07:13 AM
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #34
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
So have u decided if your coming in 2013 ?
Yes Leaving June 23rd, 2013 after a friends wedding.

I wish we could stay at a motel or a decent place, but we can't even come close to affording that. All of our money is going for gas and food. We are both poor college students.

Thanks for all the advice! I am still working on my wet weather gear, mainly gloves.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #35
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Looks like an incredible trip! Colour me envious!

If you happen to be stopping in Prince George on your way north (or south) drop me a PM. We live on acreage just 10 min west of the city, lots of lawn space for tenting or a spare bed if you'd prefer a break from the elements.

I also have a utility trailer in case either of the KLR's need retrieval anywhere in the area

Sorry... die-hard DR owner, I had to get that jab in there!

Good luck with the rest of your planning!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #36
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Went for a dirt ride yesterday. I took my klr 650 and my girlfriend borrowed a crf150. This was her first real dirt ride and did great. Started out with some fire roads, then went onto double/single track. I only binned it once going up a steep rocky hill on a double track.

Was the most technical roads I have taken my klr on and it held up great, but man it is heavy when it goes off jumps and slams down. I was worred the center stand would rip out the foot pegs. Felt them get jarred a couple times on the rocky and bumpy parts.

She fell over a couple times but had a blast.

No pictures :(
Old 11-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #37
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,160
Rt1100

I got turned back at the Arctic Circle on my RT (street tires) because of rain and my skill level. I left NM on May 15th and camped most of the way. Not one bug bite that early in the summer.

Driven - The Arctic Circle from Mundo Bravo on Vimeo.

http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #38
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Yes Leaving June 23rd, 2013 after a friends wedding.

I wish we could stay at a motel or a decent place, but we can't even come close to affording that. All of our money is going for gas and food. We are both poor college students.

Thanks for all the advice! I am still working on my wet weather gear, mainly gloves.
I am heading up myself leaving kansas June 15th on my Buell Ulysses....those KLR's are more that enough to handle the trip.
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #39
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
I am heading up myself leaving kansas June 15th on my Buell Ulysses....those KLR's are more that enough to handle the trip.
Awesome, we should see you when you are on the way back.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #40
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Stuff Need to Buy:
Cooking Supplies
Rear Rack for My KLR for My Soft Bags.
Bug Spray.
Towels,
Stuff Sack Dry Bags
Undercloths (Not sure what yet)
Rain Suit for Her
Old 12-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #41
chilango13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Prudhoe Bay in June

I am also looking forward to going to Prudhoe Bay, but my brother wants to go to cabo in July....tough choice. He doesn't have the time to go north...Good luck and looking forward to your Ride Report...
chilango13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #42
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

For christmas I got the encampment sleeping bag, I already had the insulated air core and my girlfriend got the Lulu with air core and a memory foam cover.

My girlfriend has a very generous Aunt who gave us a ridiculous gift card sum to REI.

So we went shopping at REI and got

Dragonfly Stove
Stainless Steel Pot
Compressible Dry Bag
Small dry bag
Towels
Headlamps
Other stuff i forgot

REI is nationally out of stock of MSR fuel bottles so I bought some from another website.
Still have some more money on the gift card for a camping chair, a schnozzle, and bear supplies.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #43
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Thumbs down

June 23rd huh..?.. Gee, that's when I might be riding down to sac, CA. Hopefully well cross path. I'll be on my Cbr 600rr. But it's unofficial at the moment.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #44
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Stuff Need to Buy:
Cooking Supplies
Rear Rack for My KLR for My Soft Bags.
Bug Spray.
Towels,
Stuff Sack Dry Bags
Undercloths (Not sure what yet)
Rain Suit for Her
I'm planning a few long rides...depending on time, money, and how the job search is going, I may make it up to Alaska at a similar time, leaving from the central coast of CA.

For towels I'd highly recommend microfiber towels like these: http://www.mcnett.com/MicroNet-Ultra...tyle-P132.aspx They dry very fast, pack very tight, and it takes work to make them smell moldy. I've used them on deployments and love them.

For underclothes, I like the silky stuff like from Oakley...warm without being bulky. I'm sure someone will pop in and say that if they catch fire they'll melt to your skin or something like that. My advice: don't catch fire. I routinely wear them for winter riding and love them...they help keep me warm, but don't make me feel hot & sweaty when temps do rise.

Just my 2 cents.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #45
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
I'm planning a few long rides...depending on time, money, and how the job search is going, I may make it up to Alaska at a similar time, leaving from the central coast of CA.

For towels I'd highly recommend microfiber towels like these: http://www.mcnett.com/MicroNet-Ultra...tyle-P132.aspx They dry very fast, pack very tight, and it takes work to make them smell moldy. I've used them on deployments and love them.

For underclothes, I like the silky stuff like from Oakley...warm without being bulky. I'm sure someone will pop in and say that if they catch fire they'll melt to your skin or something like that. My advice: don't catch fire. I routinely wear them for winter riding and love them...they help keep me warm, but don't make me feel hot & sweaty when temps do rise.

Just my 2 cents.
Already bought the microfiber towels from REI 2 days ago.

Underclothes is fine, I have crap ton of stuff from the army. Just worried about the layer right next to the skin. Want something that won't stink up, easy to wash, and hopefully is cheap.