ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
DanoPDX OP
monkey piss

Oddometer: 58
990 front brake lines - core materials are ??

Did the high fender mod with the brake lines routed inside the forks. Applied some protective film to the forks after the lines started eating into the forks. And of course the film is now eating into the brake lines...

Am I correct in assuming the front brake lines have a metal core, with an additional plastic or rubber core inside that? I plan to wrap them with something - but want to make sure they haven't already been too compromised.

thx!
DanoPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoPDX View Post
Did the high fender mod with the brake lines routed inside the forks. Applied some protective film to the forks after the lines started eating into the forks. And of course the film is now eating into the brake lines...

Am I correct in assuming the front brake lines have a metal core, with an additional plastic or rubber core inside that? I plan to wrap them with something - but want to make sure they haven't already been too compromised.

thx!
The innermost part of a "braided" brake line is just a tube made of material that can survive brake fluid. The "braided" outer part is nothing more than a woven metal sheath to protect and control expansion of the inner fluid-carrying core.

A pic of what's going on with yours would be a big help...
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
DanoPDX OP
monkey piss

Oddometer: 58
Thanks.

I'd forgotten what a PITA it is to post pics here. Still working on that. In the meantime, the worst of the two lines has the outer sheath rubbed off just barely down to the stainless braid, i.e., you can see a line of silver dots that have been exposed along a stretch of brake line that's about a centimeter long. The other line isn't too bad - I'm guessing the wear is only halfway through the outer plastic sheath.

NOT liking the idea of shelling out for new brake lines -- that's seven days worth of fuel to the ski hill, right there. But if I have to, maybe a good excuse to yank the ABS...

DanoPDX screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 10:21 PM
DanoPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,038
on the 990 the brake lines are stainless steel braided with another layer of hard plastic (PVC ?) over it.

On my bike, the plastic has brittled, crcked and fallen off in some places (tight bends at the handle bar/lower triple clamp etc) and the stainless steel brainding is exposed. It has been this was since some time and no problems.

I had my brake lines rubbing on the inside of the fork legs too and i wrapped the legs in PVC/electrical tape.

The steel braiding is much tougher than what ever protective wrapping you have on the fork legs (unless you used abrasive sand paper to wrap your fork legs with ).