User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #1426
lisa thomas
www.2ridetheworld.com

Oddometer: 143
Rooster with Rice!

hi Rob! yeah - its one of my favourite photos too.

it ran around the whole ship until the last minute possible before docking. I must admit the noise it was making i was quite willing to stuff it into a cooking pot!

www.2ridetheworld.com
lisa thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #1427
dougwi
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Missing this thread

Is this thread no longer going or has it migrated to another place. I was really enjoying this. Looking forward to hearing about Australia!
dougwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #1428
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,090
Its ok

Simon & Lisa have not been the best at real time reports,nor have they,at times had the convenience of the WWW.

Since Simon's huge get off in Asia they received a unprecedented amount of assistance from some "heavy duty" hitters so I would suppose that some restrictive contracts came w/ that assistance, which of course leaves us " ground lings" lacking

Or they could of course just been having to damn much fun

Patience grasshopper,after all these years on the road I don't believe they have forgotten us .

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #1429
simon thomas OP
www.2ridetheworld.com

Oddometer: 507
comming soon..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
Simon & Lisa have not been the best at real time reports,nor have they,at times had the convenience of the WWW.

Since Simon's huge get off in Asia they received a unprecedented amount of assistance from some "heavy duty" hitters so I would suppose that some restrictive contracts came w/ that assistance, which of course leaves us " ground lings" lacking

Patience grasshopper,after all these years on the road I don't believe they have forgotten us .
No, no , no...the threads not dead, we've just been busy with a ton of other stuff during our time in the land down under. It's also worth mentioning that we did get a ton of help from a certain yellow and black company in German land but...and it's a big but...there were absolutely no strings attached. No demands, no sell us your soul or now we want the religious choosing of your first born...nada, nothing, zero.

We'll get to this in the next few days with an update, check back soon.

Cheers
Simon
Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #1430
R600
Stromer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon thomas View Post
...also worth mentioning that we did get a ton of help from a certain yellow and black company in German land but...and it's a big but...there were absolutely no strings attached. No demands, no sell us your soul or now we want the religious choosing of your first born...nada, nothing, zero...
First: Hi Simon and Lisa and A Happy New Year !!!

Second: On the quoted text: Good for you AND them! Rest assure Simon, this is the best advertising that TT could have done for themselves.

I alone bought from them about 1.5k EUR worth of equipment in the last 6 months and the main reason for doing this (besides the fact that the stuff they produce is not bad at all ) is the fact that they stepped in with you guys. And trust me, I'm not the only one. I have an office colleague that spent about the same for the exact same reason(s): stepping in in helping you out, which IMHO is a great thing to do, coming from a company that has such a growth and has not forgotten where they've started! Such companies are very rare on nowadays markets and I salute them.

So:

- one big for TT

- one big for the other German company, you know... the one w/ white and blue

R600 screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 04:30 AM
R600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #1431
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
I think this is the real reason
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #1432
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,090
What he said

I too have spent a ton w/ TT equipping a 2012 F650GS for that very same reason, so good all over TT, And also good that Simon & Lisa have the leeway to remain the "wonderful wanders" we've all come to know.

However I stand by the statement "having to much damn fun"---They are in OZ after all.

I also stand w/ the rest of the adventure world, waiting for the next round of wonderful photos

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #1433
shojac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Been following along on your travels, and as usual really good photos. Are you still using the D90 Nikon?
shojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #1434
simon thomas OP
www.2ridetheworld.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by shojac View Post
Been following along on your travels, and as usual really good photos. Are you still using the D90 Nikon?
Yep still using the D90 and also a D3. One big advantage of having an FX and a DX body is the extra focal length (foreshortening) you get with the DX body. Basically it means that my 200mm lens with the 2X teleconverter give me 400mm but on the DX body (D90) I get closer to a 600mm equivalent. Handy when 400mm isn't enough right

Cheers
Simon
Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #1435
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,924
Quote:
Yep still using the D90 and also a D3. One big advantage of having an FX and a DX body is the extra focal length (foreshortening) you get with the DX body. Basically it means that my 200mm lens with the 2X teleconverter give me 400mm but on the DX body (D90) I get closer to a 600mm equivalent. Handy when 400mm isn't enough right

Cheers
Simon
that's a lot of camera gear to carry! .... using an old D2H so all the older AF Nikkor lens work. been working on upgrading to a full frame like D3... so is it worth carrying all the extra weight/bulk of a D3?

_cy_ screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 06:09 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #1436
simon thomas OP
www.2ridetheworld.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
that's a lot of camera gear to carry! .... using an old D2H so all the older AF Nikkor lens work. been working on upgrading to a full frame like D3... so is it worth carrying all the extra weight/bulk of a D3?
Mmm, I don't think we carry all that much gear, don't forget we carry it between two bikes. basically we carry our camera gear in the tank bags, so anything that won't go into the tank bag doesn't get carried. Lisa has the D90 I used the D3. On the D90 Lisa mostly uses the 18-200mm Nikkor lens and in my bag I have attached to the D3 body a 70-200mm F2.8 Nikkor lens, in the bag I have a Nikkor 2x tele-converter, a Nikkor f1.4 prime and a 16-35mm wide angle Nikkor. I've got a remote trigger and a GPS unit which connects to the camera and a few filter, that's it. Like I said it all goes into my tank bag.

is the extra bulk worth it? hey everyone different but for us it's a definite yes! The ability to capture quality images that are super sharp and true to the view we saw first hand is priceless. I figure at the end of your trip you have memories and photos, my memory fades so I want the best photos possible to help me relive my glory days in my old age Besides it's a frustrating as hell not being able to capture a wow photo because your point n' shot is up to it.

Cheers
Simon
Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #1437
Sascha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thumb

Quote:
Mmm, I don't think we carry all that much gear, don't forget we carry it between two bikes. basically we carry our camera gear in the tank bags, so anything that won't go into the tank bag doesn't get carried. Lisa has the D90 I used the D3. On the D90 Lisa mostly uses the 18-200mm Nikkor lens and in my bag I have attached to the D3 body a 70-200mm F2.8 Nikkor lens, in the bag I have a Nikkor 2x tele-converter, a Nikkor f1.4 prime and a 16-35mm wide angle Nikkor. I've got a remote trigger and a GPS unit which connects to the camera and a few filter, that's it. Like I said it all goes into my tank bag.

is the extra bulk worth it? hey everyone different but for us it's a definite yes! The ability to capture quality images that are super sharp and true to the view we saw first hand is priceless. I figure at the end of your trip you have memories and photos, my memory fades so I want the best photos possible to help me relive my glory days in my old age Besides it's a frustrating as hell not being able to capture a wow photo because your point n' shot is up to it.

Cheers
Simon
True true, but its not only the gear you take. Guys you just take amazing shots I have to admit. Dont matter the best gear if you don´t know how to handle it! So keep up the great work!

Hurry up to NZ! Some of the great spots will close soon enough, the Rainbow Road will close mid of February as far as I remember. Even I with my click clack cam took some great (IMHO) pics there...

GRTS form Geraldton. On the way to Tasi...

Kerstin and Sascha
Old 03-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #1438
DrunkWombat
GS and Proud

Oddometer: 2,210
G'day Simon and Lisa,

I was at the BMW night you had in Newcastle the other night. I had a bloody great time. Your talk was engaging and very entertaining. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us and all the best on your travels.

Tim

PS- the photo I bought was beaut.

DrunkWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:58 AM   #1439
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 755
They are giving a talk in Dunedin, NZ, this Sunday at the Mornington Tavern at 4pm.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #1440
simon thomas OP
www.2ridetheworld.com

Back in the USA

Hi All,

Hey guys, we haven't dropped off the face of the earth, just busy traveling it. We will kick start this RR and get up do date, so apologizes for those of you that were waiting. But we're actually back in the USA and can get online with ease, communicate with friends update the website and get our shit together on ADVRIDER at long last.

We're en-route to Flagstaff today and then onto the Overland Expo for Friday-Sunday, and will actually being celebrating our 10th year on the road at the Expo, hopefully with a few drinks and a few friends. So if you're around come and say hi. At least you can bust our balls for being such slackers on adv .

Hope to see some of you there.

All the best
Simon & Lisa