Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #7621
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreeze View Post
Sorry - cant find that product? Can YOu send me a link.

I used this:

http://www.trailtech.net/101-06.html

And that neede some modification as I said.
If You find the one with same threads itīs easier.

s
Its a Vapor, but the guy I emailed with said it would fit. Just with the proper hose fitting and speedo mount. A quick ebay search says it fits a KTM sx 1995-2011
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #7622
deepfreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
Its a Vapor, but the guy I emailed with said it would fit. Just with the proper hose fitting and speedo mount. A quick ebay search says it fits a KTM sx 1995-2011
Hose fitting was not a problem for me - that was spot on with the size. If You get the right speedo-mount too that makes the installing a lot easier.

s
deepfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #7623
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,840
So, I am in the process of installing the nav tower I have made, it looks like macaroni and cheese at the moment with the cables but I will clear this up...

The tower looks like it is going ok at the moment but I have the following problems with the choke and and the decompressor cables. They are too short. Does anybody know if there are any other cables to accomodate the rise of the bars ? The problem is that I have to race the bike next weekend and now these to came up
If worst comes to worst I will remove the decompressor because I have never used it so far and look for solutions form other bikes in the future. May be 660 Rallye had longer cabling ? But for the choke I do not want to remove it completely... I always needed it in low temperatures...
Old 11-17-2012, 03:48 AM   #7624
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,322
So you have a shot from the cockpit side?
Old 11-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #7625
Alik
viertaKTMotor *****

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
So, I am in the process of installing the nav tower I have made, it looks like macaroni and cheese at the moment with the cables but I will clear this up...

The tower looks like it is going ok at the moment but I have the following problems with the choke and and the decompressor cables. They are too short. Does anybody know if there are any other cables to accomodate the rise of the bars ? The problem is that I have to race the bike next weekend and now these to came up
If worst comes to worst I will remove the decompressor because I have never used it so far and look for solutions form other bikes in the future. May be 660 Rallye had longer cabling ? But for the choke I do not want to remove it completely... I always needed it in low temperatures...

Quick check in microfiches at Munnracing gives a possible answer: part # 58502094000 - decompression cable 04 seems to be different than standard one. But 660 Rallye has a different carb - Keihin. I don't know what you have.
Maybe You should find someone who can make a custom one which would be longer.
Alik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #7626
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,127
Word is that Motion Pro does custom length cables. I have a couple things to check, but the 5" long choke/enrichner cable from a '90s HD Keihin CV, bolts in. I'm running it on my BST, but still have to verify that its not open when i think its closed. You have use the BSTs needle and spring, tho.
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #7627
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Many thanks for the replies. After 16 hours of continuous work we managed to finish the beast to test it tomorrow (let's say today ) .

The cockpit looks ok, the beast started almost instantly after 5 months of being still. This is the remote choke cable

This is the cockpit with the pimp-roadbook lights

The big problem which looks like the big bang to my eyes...
Before 6ooo km the engine was rebuilt. New crankshaft bearings, conrod, piston, rings, camshaft ... the lot .

Today, after an oil change before 3ooo km I see this...

My mechanic said that most probable is the bearing that sits on the main gear shaft which has not been changed and desintegrates itself. ... I think it will last the race which is next week (1000 km in 24 hours straight) but I do not know what are the other steps and if anybody has any other ideas to identify the cause ...
Old 11-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #7628
deepfreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:

My mechanic said that most probable is the bearing that sits on the main gear shaft which has not been changed and desintegrates itself. ... I think it will last the race which is next week (1000 km in 24 hours straight) but I do not know what are the other steps and if anybody has any other ideas to identify the cause ...
That looks similar to view that I have always seen when changed oil and filters for two previous 640 I have owned. It looks worse than it really is. If you take that between Your fingers it`s actually very much like copper paste - not thick but thin metal paste and it just looks awful in that magnetic plug.

Then again - thatīs just my opinion and I canīt guarantee that it ainīt serious.

Ride hard!

s

deepfreeze screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 05:56 PM Reason: no guarantee
deepfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #7629
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,807
If it was me I would check the cam followers immediately ie. before you do any racing and break something really expensive but it's your call.

But are you rich?
Well if so then what do you care?

If you are poor and it's not the cam follower bearings and it's the trans bearing just imagine what damage could happen there if the clutch etc gets loose.

Better have a serious talk with your mechanic.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #7630
640 Armageddon
-oo-

At the moment I am worse than poor ...

Quote:
That looks similar to view that I have always seen when changed oil and filters for two previous 640 I have owned. It looks worse than it really is. If you take that between Your fingers it`s actually very much like copper paste - not thick but thin metal paste and it just looks awful in that magnetic plug.

Then again - thatīs just my opinion and I canīt guarantee that it ainīt serious.

Ride hard!
That is what exactly happened. But is scare the crapolla out of me that something eats itself there while am out for 24 hours I dont think it will not hold for 24 hours, I just think that in the near future I have to open the engine again and that costs time. Time I have plenty. It also costs money which at the moment I prefer to put on a new roadbook that I am developing than the bike....

What he said is that if it is the trans bearing the bike would warn me by not taking the gears, the gearbox would start making noises etc. I care because it is my bike. The looks are not important to me but I want it to be in a good condition mechanically speaking.

I think the previous people that I was taking the bike to, they were too bored to clean the metallic filter and clean the area that the secondary filter goes in. They were just popping it in and out... I hate to say it but I have yet to gind someone who will reliably fix my bike here for a race... For whatever the reason, all mechanics here are doing 50% of what they are supposed to do.... I was telling the previous guy that the bike needs the front wheel bearings to be changed and he suggested that I am a lousy rider and It is the front tyre feeling (Mich E.comp) and that this tyre is not for this bike blah blah blah. Yesterday we took something out of the front wheel which looked something like a bearing ...
As far as the electrics is concerned, I have been used to see industrial electrical panels so I hate to see spaghetti on my bike. Of course most electricians here disagree with me but thats another case...

Another major problem I saw was the superseal connectors on the IMO's . The cables for the IMO's are way too thin and three connections needed to be repaired. I think other waterproof connectors would be better ... But I will make sure everything is done by me after the race.

So far we managed to install a new fuse box with LED warning fuses, four ADVmonster lights, two IMO's, a rear LED, a Gammatronix charge monitor to check that the bike is charging the battery and we managed to solder most of the connections. In four hours I will be going out to do last year's special stage so we shall see
Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #7631
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
So far we managed to install a new fuse box with LED warning fuses, four ADVmonster lights, two IMO's, a rear LED, a Gammatronix charge monitor to check that the bike is charging the battery and we managed to solder most of the connections. In four hours I will be going out to do last year's special stage so we shall see
Hope you bought the heavy duty mounts for those ADVmonstor lights. I cracked both mounts on mine in about 4 days of rough riding.

Good luck with the race.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #7632
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson View Post
Hope you bought the heavy duty mounts for those ADVmonstor lights. I cracked both mounts on mine in about 4 days of rough riding.

Good luck with the race.
Yes indeed I have the heavy duty ones. I made heavy duty slot parts as well. The things that pivot if you know what I mean. I have to thread lock the lights. After 20 km yesterday two of them came undone...
Old 11-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #7633
AdventureDave
MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer: 678
Quote:

Remember the 625SXC (sold in Australia till '07) had the FCR carbs and different bar setups. The decomp was on the bars although the choke was left on the carb (reach under the tank and pull the switch) part# 59002094000

Cheers

David
AdventureDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #7634
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Cheers for the reply,

The decompressor cable is now out of the game. The choke is still there and I have to manually pull the cable ...

The onboard choke switch I dont know if the rider has enough room to pull it with the tank onboard.... It would be wierd to remove the tank every time you need to pull the choke
Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #7635
Beta450
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
New Adventure owner.

I am a new owner of a 1998 Adventure. I have been a lurker for a while and came across this bike with less than 2000 miles. I have read through a lot of the threads on the Lc4 but alot of it is old. Before I get it on the road I need to go through the bike and am in the process of getting a list together. I have a few questions and hope that you guys can help out.

I want to change out the low twin exhaust to a single exhaust system. What is a current manufacture that offers a full exhaust system and are all of the years and models interchangeable?

Are task guards recommended?

What companies in the US offer a full line of parts and accessories for the adventure.

Thanks.
Beta450 is offline   Reply With Quote