ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #451
fastjarl
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: no´where in Norway
Oddometer: 39
690 not only perfect at open field

]






































Did an round trip in Morocco 4500km last winter, all on KTM through mountain snow and sand
southbound through Algerian borderline south-west,
mid region and Atlas 2900m in snow on the way back.
This is my second real trip on my 690 Gold Wing. First was dual the distance same terrain in south Amerika.
and of course, no problems after 35000km on this bike
690 with plenty of suspension and gas is newer wrong whatever terrain you ride.



trying to add some pictures hopefully it works..




speedtravel.blogspot.com
fastjarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #452
Bruno T .
N8YQ
 
Bruno T .'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Detroit area, MI
Oddometer: 1,776
Nice pictures, shebanano and fastjarl. Thanks for sharing.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #453
Rik Le Ray
VAT FREE FISHING
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Guernsey ci
Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
I can guarantee you can't make one yourself. They are vastly different to the enduro in many ways.
As for what they're worth like all things theyre worth what someone is willing to pay for them
If it were me I'd suggest you buy one if you can afford it. You won't be sorry but your bank manager might be!!!
Thanks for the advice guys im thinking of getting a 690 and using the guy in Italy who builds fairings they look very close to the real thing i have been told buy a dealer you can buy the rear tanks for £700 from ktm but i love the real thing i hear all sorts about cost some go for £10.000 some £30.000 and even if you could buy one will it be thrashed and need rebuilding
Rik Le Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #454
shebanano
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarron View Post
Vey nice pictures, shebanano. Did the powerful KTMs had to wait long for the small DRZ to catch up with the Austrians?

And what happened to that hose? Did it get loose after the crash in the mud?

The DRZ is a tough competitor. Is the queen in all fields, ja, ja. ... and never, never fails
This was not a competition. The commitment was very high. The risk of any type of fall has a high price in the Western Sahara. The concentration at each step is very important because the chances of rescue are zero in many areas. Over two days without water can be death and wounded rescue possibilities are reduced. A damaged bike may mean leaving abandoned in desert.
However, the pace was high in all stages because it was necessary to make some 600 km each day.
Gasoline connectors RFR are a real shit. It is the second time that break with a slight fall from the bike. They are plastic and their quality is a shame on a motorcycle with high quality in all its components. I have now changed to metal connectors. No more unpleasant surprises.
shebanano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #455
shebanano
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjarl View Post
]







Did an round trip in Morocco 4500km last winter, all on KTM through mountain snow and sand
southbound through Algerian borderline south-west,
mid region and Atlas 2900m in snow on the way back.
This is my second real trip on my 690 Gold Wing. First was dual the distance same terrain in south Amerika.
and of course, no problems after 35000km on this bike
690 with plenty of suspension and gas is newer wrong whatever terrain you ride.

trying to add some pictures hopefully it works..


speedtravel.blogspot.com



Nice pictures Fastharl. I recognize perfectly everywhere, are very funny and nice areas.
This time I obsessed with Western Sahara, but next return to Morocco with my friends. I hope it's soon.
My friends and I have some good experience too, in the deepest snow Morocco High Atlas. Is not Macaron? .ja, ja...

http://www.gstrail.es/foro/del-atlas-18717/
shebanano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #456
fastjarl
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: no´where in Norway
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebanano View Post
Nice pictures Fastharl. I recognize perfectly everywhere, are very funny and nice areas.
This time I obsessed with Western Sahara, but next return to Morocco with my friends. I hope it's soon.
My friends and I have some good experience too, in the deepest snow Morocco High Atlas. Is not Macaron? .ja, ja...

http://www.gstrail.es/foro/del-atlas-18717/

Shortcut Tizi-N-Ouano north of Georges du Dades,
fastjarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #457
fastjarl
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: no´where in Norway
Oddometer: 39
Shebanano

Gasoline connectors RFR are a real shit. It is the second time that break with a slight fall from the bike. They are plastic and their quality is a shame on a motorcycle with high quality in all its components. I have now changed to metal connectors. No more unpleasant surprises.[/QUOTE]

I think you have odd problem, the connectors are almost hidden under gas tanks. I would believe your tank got crunched before the connector. Remember most of these bikes are served daily during races off with tanks and back on, and all use the same connector.

There is two spare mounted on my tower and so far 35000km and a lot of woops as seen in picture above, I never had to use any back up parts except levers.


Mine are well used when my bike work as a rolling back up out there in nowhere
fastjarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #458
shebanano
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjarl View Post
Shebanano

Gasoline connectors RFR are a real shit. It is the second time that break with a slight fall from the bike. They are plastic and their quality is a shame on a motorcycle with high quality in all its components. I have now changed to metal connectors. No more unpleasant surprises.
I think you have odd problem, the connectors are almost hidden under gas tanks. I would believe your tank got crunched before the connector. Remember most of these bikes are served daily during races off with tanks and back on, and all use the same connector.

There is two spare mounted on my tower and so far 35000km and a lot of woops as seen in picture above, I never had to use any back up parts except levers.


Mine are well used when my bike work as a rolling back up out there in nowhere
[/QUOTE]


The theme of the connectors is strange. I have experienced falls quite strong and nothing has happened with the connectors.
However, the two times I have broken have been simple falls with the bike stopped. From these simple falls caused by not reaching the ground with the foot due to its great height.

It's true what you say, and I know that are bikes used in competition, but the connectors are ideally situated on my bike. Exactly like bikes Despres or Coma, because I have seen thousands of pictures. I have the impression that the fuel hoses pull the conectors or that the connectors are worn between the tanks and the engine. It is evident that deposits, move much during impact.
However, I have not desire to investigate the problem; I have exhausted my patience.
It can also be bad luck, I do not know. I put the metal and the problem is over. "Dead dog rabies is over" is a saying we use in Spain.
http://quickcouplings.net/osc/produc...roducts_id=716
http://quickcouplings.net/osc/produc...roducts_id=717

I am happy that you never have happened and I hope it never happens to your bike, but I have very clear that this type of connectors always end up causing problems because I have used in my previous BMW and there is always controversy with the damn connectors . I do not plan to continue risking more times.
If ever happens to you, you'll remember me ¡¡¡, ha, ha, ha,
shebanano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #459
daGeri
Adventurer
 
daGeri's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebanano View Post
I'm really wondering how you could bring all the stuff you need with just a Coyote Bag. I'm planing to do more camping on my trips in future but all this camping gear is quite big. Which tent you use and which self inflating mattress. It seams you have everything inside the Coyote and nothing on top of it.
daGeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #460
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeri View Post
I'm really wondering how you could bring all the stuff you need with just a Coyote Bag. I'm planing to do more camping on my trips in future but all this camping gear is quite big. Which tent you use and which self inflating mattress. It seams you have everything inside the Coyote and nothing on top of it.
You should check the equipment forums here and backpacking/mountaineering forums, you will get lots more advice than in this thread...

The add-on dry bag from Giant Loop that will strap to your Coyote and adds 8-10 liters of volume is a good idea for long stuff like tent poles.

If you want a suggestion, the MSR Hubba Hubba HP is a sub 2kg 2-person tent, the Thermarest Xtherm is a 500g mat that works great even in cold weather, and a good down sleeping bag rated to 0°C will weigh 600-800grams and be barely bigger than a 1 liter bottle, e.g. Exped Ultralite 500 or Western Mountaineering Summerlite.

If you get high quality stuff a full camping and cooking setup that works in normal moto riding temps (down to freezing) will weigh about 5-6 kilos and not take much room.
__________________
RTW trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #461
shebanano
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 41
The Coyote is quite large, but it has its limits. This time we are talking about the desert and that means very pleasant temperatures. Did not need a sleeping bag thick. We do not use tent, because we use bivy. This time we keep everything inside the Coyote except the bottles with gasoline.
I've practiced climbing many years and I can say that complete an expedition backpack properly is a very important task and do it well is all an art. In the bike situation is similar when the Coyote filled with more and more things.
In a good mountaineering equipment shop, with expedition items, you can find sleeping bags for use in different temperature ranges and inflatable mats of different sizes and thicknesses. It is essential to always buy good compression sleeves to shrink bags, jackets, mats, and clothing in general.
For activities to no more than eight days, will not recommend bringing kitchen equipment. This means gas, stove, containers, etc ... too much weight to carry in an extreme activity on a motorcycle. Today there are very good they bring nonperishable food protein and calories to survive many days and take up little space. With some good sausage you can feed you for weeks.

This time the emphasis was carrying six liters of water per day + 4 water bottles with petrol + food for 6 days + tools. There was not space to practice camping resort.
shebanano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #462
daGeri
Adventurer
 
daGeri's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
You should check the equipment forums here and backpacking/mountaineering forums, you will get lots more advice than in this thread...
Lukas you are ride. Maybe to much Off-Topic for this thread. Thank you anyway for your suggestion!
daGeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #463
daGeri
Adventurer
 
daGeri's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebanano View Post
The Coyote is quite large, but it has its limits. This time we are talking about the desert and that means very pleasant temperatures. Did not need a sleeping bag thick. We do not use tent, because we use bivy. This time we keep everything inside the Coyote except the bottles with gasoline.
I've practiced climbing many years and I can say that complete an expedition backpack properly is a very important task and do it well is all an art. In the bike situation is similar when the Coyote filled with more and more things.
In a good mountaineering equipment shop, with expedition items, you can find sleeping bags for use in different temperature ranges and inflatable mats of different sizes and thicknesses. It is essential to always buy good compression sleeves to shrink bags, jackets, mats, and clothing in general.
For activities to no more than eight days, will not recommend bringing kitchen equipment. This means gas, stove, containers, etc ... too much weight to carry in an extreme activity on a motorcycle. Today there are very good they bring nonperishable food protein and calories to survive many days and take up little space. With some good sausage you can feed you for weeks.

This time the emphasis was carrying six liters of water per day + 4 water bottles with petrol + food for 6 days + tools. There was not space to practice camping resort.
Thanks a lot for the info!
daGeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #464
Fast1
Twisted Throttle
 
Fast1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Bridge over Troubled Water
Oddometer: 1,798
From all my climbing and backpacking experiences the single most difficult item to accomodate due to size for extended periods (4 or more days) is food, assuming you have resources to filter water. Favorites have been Mountain House pro-packs but they still take up excessive room but negate the need for pots/pans and don't produce much garbage to haul out.
__________________
14 Husqvarna FE 501
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
11 Husqvarna SM630
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #465
johnno950
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 905
Seat/ or seatbase

Anyone got a complete seat/or seatbase they would like to sell?.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014