Oddometer: 15,394
Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #287
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
more report from the road soon, including some surprising insight on the history of homo sapiens.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #288
gravelrash
Decrepit Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
You guys sure have a lot of fun. I'm sitting here reading all this cool stuff while outside the snow is falling and everything is covered in ice. A veritable northern wasteland. But I bet if you fellows were here you would be out riding in this crap and writing about it. Great stuff!

Murus Aheneus Esto
gravelrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #289
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelrash View Post
You guys sure have a lot of fun. I'm sitting here reading all this cool stuff while outside the snow is falling and everything is covered in ice. A veritable northern wasteland. But I bet if you fellows were here you would be out riding in this crap and writing about it. Great stuff!
thanks, no dull moments with this crew. don't feel bad, some of the roads in the photos were under 3' of snow shortly after we rode through. some melted now, but heavy rain forecast and many of the roads are probably washed out on the grades.

stay turned, more roads ahead.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #290
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823

Looking forward to it my friend!
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #291
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post

Looking forward to it my friend!
What, more heavy rain?

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #292
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
What, more heavy rain?
big front over the mountains right now. i haven't seen any reports on those roads, but i can't believe that they would be in good riding shape.

teaser photo. this little creek is probably a river right now.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #293
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

When I heard Monsieur Nix rummaging at 4AM, that pretty much settled any argument, the Homo Sapiens clan had indeed evolved through a branch of giant bird ancestry, and I had a perfect genetic metaphor at hand. Monsieur Nix did, indeed, possess a genetic soup of both Night Owl and Early Bird genes. Any academic type performing research in this field should take note when, during the field observation phase, they document him purchasing a freakin’ boatload of extra batteries for his LED headlamp. It’s a big clue in evolutionary behavior, insightful, truly dissertation material in the academic sense, although for the rest of us humans, it’s a reminder to deploy the earplugs until “dawn’s early light”, a concept I thought was engrained in most USA citizens since early childhood, like kindergarten, at the latest.

I was wrong, there are exceptions. That was alright, I couldn’t say early risers bother me on an adventure, while late risers always do, besides, Monsieur Nix is invariably of good cheer despite the hour, bouncing around, ready to ride somewhere, anywhere. This mourning he was bouncing a little higher after I gave him a matched pair of those Aleve pills from my kit, taming his back pain from yesterday’s spill. I think you’re still allowed to operate heavy machinery after a few of those.

I had a hearty breakfast, complete with Columbian press coffee, while Monsieur Nix was trying to survive on some birdseed bar chased with that coffee like stuff that comes in a plastic tube, might be sold at Starbucks. Don’t criticize, he’s an admittedly novice camper, so one day I’d expect him to bring real coffee.

We were packed up quickly, doesn’t take long when you don’t bring an extra big pile of junk, and it looked like a fantastic morning to ride.

Another group had come in late, and a few vehicles had cruised through this very out of the way spot after midnight, I always wonder what they’re up to at that hour. It also makes me wonder whether I should have packed that bear gun.

The road at the campground on the ridge runs northwest for at least another mile, and I figured we should check it out before heading south just in case there was something interesting we should know about, like a watercrossing or an interesting place to camp. Nothing out there, but man, it was a beautiful morning for an early start, Monsieur Nix getting a look easterly when the road curved, freshly minted sunshine filtering through the trees.

Back at the intersection with FS502, we were riding southwest, a few hunters out, no other civilian vehicles, and we could roll on this well graded gravel.

At WV55, we turned west, then in a mile turned west again on CR5 towards Wardensville. I had been past a stone house where Waites Run crosses the road, but had never stopped to see what was inscribed on one of the cornerstones, but this time I did.

Early settlers didn’t have the time or means to dig a well through solid rock, so every creek with reliable year round flow became the location of the early homes.

We rode through Wardensville, quite a few people out early, and I tried to get Monsieur to stop at the Mercantile for Belgium waffles, no sale, the kid must not be hungry. It was hard to ride by, the kitchen exhaust was blowing waffle molecules out into the road, the moto equivalent of a gill net, and sadly, we were able to bust through.

West on WV259, and we made the turn south on the FS344 gravel. This is another cool road, usually well graded, and I had been in here before, but not Monsieur Nix. This road had more hunter activity than we had seen previously, the vehicles mostly parked, and that’s when we ran up on a group of hunters coming out of the woods. As soon as I saw them I was on the brakes, I absolutely needed to talk with these guys…about their squirrel dog.

There might be more of these little dogs around than I’m aware of, but I’d never seen one outside of a magazine article. Highly effective once trained, if ya want a bushel of squirrels, get one. The guys couldn’t understand why we stopped at first, but once they found out we were interested in their dog, they warmed right up, all smiles, and we left with a PhD in squirrel dog. When ya find an educational opportunity, ya gotta take it.

This road twists and winds it’s way south, another reminder of why we came out to ride this area near the height of color.

When we get a peek west through the trees, it looks like we have lost that bright sunshine we started with, at least temporarily. Without the sun, and with the wind rising, it looks a lot different. We might find a taste of winter somewhere out here.

FS344 took us down to Mill Gap, and I missed the turn to Trout Pond, not exactly on our route, but I wanted to take a look anyway, and while I had that thought fresh in my mind, two new pickups chasing each other ran me to the shoulder on a blind curve. If I had been in any kind of four wheel vehicle, the lead truck would have hit me. Maintaining lane discipline on the moto, both gravel and paved, is so important out here on these roads, well, let me put it this way, if ya don’t, you’re a goner.

We made it down to WV259, and Monsieur Nix took a break for a minute while I backtracked up Mill Gap a short distance, I’d missed a photo or two of some…rocks. With the leaves falling, you can finally see what’s in the background.

At the WV259, instead of turning southwest, the more direct route to where we were headed, we made a short jog northeast to Dove Hollow, where we would climb up to the ridges, and ride those west and south instead. Good decision on the route this time, little traffic, plenty to look at, and you know when you see this sign, it’s time to make a turn.

Another turn, hey, more rocks, gotta stop, and Monsieur Nix was riding the brakes by now every time he saw rocks ahead.

The I system has all those rest areas, sometimes with a Burger King and Starbucks, while the rest areas out this way are somewhat less formal, although the seating is comfortable, and I needed a break anyway.

There are two parks in the area, Howard’s Lick and Lost River, almost adjacent to each other, with one of the connecting roads being CR12 running generally east/west on the ridge, before dropping south off the mountain to Lost River.

With occasional pasture along this road, we could look out to the ridges to the north, very much worth it.

I had a lunch stop in mind, no, let me rephrase that…I had lunch in mind, didn’t care where we stopped. Actually, there’s only one place, about 15 miles, and the wind was just right, I could smell the hamburgers on the grill, sort of, ya know, in my mind. So we didn’t waste any more time, running down through Lost River, almost nobody there, and that’s where I nearly tagged the only car on the road, some compact POS that made a tire smoking stop in the middle of the road so that the driver could get a photo of an orange leafed tree. I bet Monsieur Nix is glad I don’t make stops like that one.

From the Lost River road, we were riding generally southwest cross country on a series of roads, mostly paved, some gravel, and we found ourselves at the little country store I was aiming for, oh boy, food.

As I was getting the gear off, a local couple walked by, maybe mid thirties, and well into a knockdown argument about some unknown subject, and I heard her say as she passed…

“You’re damn sassy this morning for someone who’s hung like a freakin’ chipmunk”, proving without doubt, all is fair in love and war, especially war.

Welcome to metropolitan Bergton, sing along now…“Point me to them cheeseburgers, and pass me that Mountain Dew”.

(to be continued…)

jdrocks screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 08:39 AM
Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #294
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
“You’re damn sassy this morning for someone who’s hung like a freakin’ chipmonk”, proving without doubt, all is fair in love and war, especially war.

damn good one!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #295
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
“You’re damn sassy this morning for someone who’s hung like a freakin’ chipmunk”, proving without doubt, all is fair in love and war, especially war.

she was no beauty Jack, only safe to approach if she had a shopping bag over her head.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #296
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,629
One bagger, or two bagger? Enquiring minds don't really want to know . . . .

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #297
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
One bagger, or two bagger? Enquiring minds don't really want to know . . . .
ya could get by with one bag, if it was big enough.

i shouldn't be saying bad things about this young lady, after all, she was svelte, in the sense that there are certain species of whales that tend to run quite a bit larger.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #298
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,629
Hmm. Motorsickles or whaleboats . . .

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #299
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Hmm. Motorsickles or whaleboats . . .
neither, that guy should take her on a beach vacation, throw her back in the ocean.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #300
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Randy, it's great fun out there with jdrocks. I think he knows every inch of West Virginia/Virginia. Maybe we can take a trip and meet you halfway one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelrash View Post
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote