Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #76
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Bloody hell Gav, sat here in cold wet blighty I can't believe we were riding in that a few short weeks ago.

Did we really go?

Did we really get to ride there?

Is it all a dream?

WHEN WE GOING BACK!!!!!
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #77
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,895
Great stuff!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #78
DeeGee OP
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog uk View Post
Bloody hell Gav, sat here in cold wet blighty I can't believe we were riding in that a few short weeks ago.

Did we really go?

Did we really get to ride there?

Is it all a dream?

WHEN WE GOING BACK!!!!!
I know man! I think I've defo got "unfinished business" over there!
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #79
Double-L
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Now I know why we had a bad couple of days of rain the other week, Pete landing his 'bomb' in the pool

Cracking write up Gav, gets better and better
Double-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #80
Azmontana
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Great pics, great write up. I'm looking forward to going there next year. Would you advise taking spare fuel baring in mind ill be on a 950 adventure. I'm guessing the answer is yes
Azmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #81
newsh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Great stuff Gav, I'm loving the pics in the desert! :)
newsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #82
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-L View Post
Now I know why we had a bad couple of days of rain the other week, Pete landing his 'bomb' in the pool
Ooh you are a one Allan.
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #83
Dr LC8
...soon or later

Oddometer: 916
Hi Deegee,

It sounds like a lot of fun!

Nic
2003 KTM LC8 950 ADV
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #84
ChubbyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmontana View Post
Great pics, great write up. I'm looking forward to going there next year. Would you advise taking spare fuel baring in mind ill be on a 950 adventure. I'm guessing the answer is yes
I brought a rotopax mounted on the pannier rack. I never needed it but would do the same again just for peace of mind and in case you do more offroad than we did.

One thing to bear in mind is that the village kids will be out in throngs for a high 5 from the big bikes. You may get your high 5 from a 4 yr old but also stand a very good chance of decapitating them with your panniers extra width.DAMHIK!
ChubbyThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #85
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
I know man! I think I've defo got "unfinished business" over there!
Me too..........though just enjoying the simple pleasures in life...........like a 'dry' fart!
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #86
Rideass
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Great report lads, enjoyed reading and seeing all the great pics! Any video off the GoPros anywhere? Wish I was along for the ride. Give me a shout if you are looking for more people to join in next year, Only fear I have is bringing the fat old GSA onto the dunes..

Poor planning, soar ass and out of money...
Weekend trip to Amsterdam '09

Each step moves us on, here we go.
Onward, forward - still miles to go.
Rideass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #87
DeeGee OP

I was hoping to have some video for this post, but unfortunately there's been a breakdown in comms with the guy who's doing the editing, hopefully I'll have something for the next installment.

What I forgot to say in the last post was after we had breakfast we went to conquer the huge dune, this one in the centre of the picture.

Now from here it doesn't look all that big, hopefully the following pictures will give you an idea of the scale of it. Don't forget it was bloody hot too, so hot it felt like you were walking on hot coals!

Saw this as we set off and thought it'd make a good shot

Looking back at the hotel

Vast open space

We'd not been going long when Jack decided she'd had enough it was tough going though it was very similar to walking in deep soft snow, plus the heat was pretty intense. She turned around and headed back

Terry, Pete and Rob near the bottom.

The white dot you see just right centre of the screen is Jack still on her way back.

Rob and Pete

Rob looking like a true adventurer

Pete doing the "Funky Chicken"

Me looking warm

Tiny tracks

Rob and Terry decided they'd also had enough as they turned back and headed down, then it was just Pete and I.

We were both knackered, we were just managing to walk ten yards or so and then we had to have a rest, we both decided that the pool was in need of a visit and our camel backs were almost empty so we called it a day and headed back to the others at the bottom.

Pete almost at the top!

In the following picture there's a white dot about three quarters of the way up to the right, that's Rob and Terry.

The views were stunning from up here and it hit home to me how damned hard it must be for the super heroes riding the Dakar, I mean not just the fact of riding the massive dunes, but they've also got to navigate over miles and miles of this stuff!

We headed back. Terry on the horizon.

Anyway we went back, jumped in the pool and then we went off for a cracking ride, came back jumped in the pool again, had some food and then we headed back out to play again. Rob was feeling a bit better and came along too.

More sand.

On Piste, Pete.

Love this shot.

Rob

We saw these guys out testing.

After a couple of hours playing we called it a day and headed back to the hotel, I had to help Jack pack and tidy our room, messy business this adventure biking lark

We ate later and decided we should head back north the following day We asked one of the lads who took us on the camel trek the previous night about which way would be the best. We wanted to try a few more pistes on the way back. Sadly the one we were looking at was deemed to be too dangerous on the bikes

Rob looking happy

Running an eye over the bikes

The pool looked inviting even in the evening.

After breakfast we headed out for the final time.

Quick stop for a couple of pics.

Terry

We picked a place on the map called Khenrifa and headed north, hopefully taking in Todra Gorge. But that's going to have to be next time, I've got to dash!

DeeGee screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 05:13 AM
Old 11-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #88
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 795
Nice one Gav, waiting patiently for the next instalment
Old 11-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #89
Louisdut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Really enjoying the pictures but looking forwards to the video

Louis

Louisdut screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 09:50 AM
Louisdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #90
DeeGee OP

Still waiting on the video I'm afraid Louis, but he is on with it now

Right where were we?

Yes we were heading back north and leaving the dessert behind us. First up we needed fuel and on the way down we passed a couple of petrol stations in Risanni. I had a bit of a panic as we took a diversion through the narrow streets, the first gas station we came to had no petrol and I was running on fumes. Turned out the second one we pulled into also had no petrol, luckily the third one we found had plenty

As we were fuelling up a local gent came out of nowhere (we had gotten used to this now) and tried selling us some of his wares. Terry finally gave in and bought some jewellery from the guy.

We then hit the road, we'd not been going long when we saw some camels roaming along on the plains beside us.

Care free they crossed the road in front of us.

Back home I'm a football referee and was amazed to see a few football pitches at the side of the road, no lush grass to play on though and I doubt if any of the players would have suitable footwear, I really couldn't believe that people would actually play football on there!

The ever changing scenery

We made our way to Todra Gorge, the village we passed through on the way once again lots of children came running, laughing and waving and the braver ones high fiving us. I found it refreshing and didn't think I could ever tire of this sight as I beamed in my hot helmet.

We decided to stop for food and drink just before we headed through the gorge.

Once we were fed and watered we moved on through the gorge.

We then headed back out of the shade and pressed on north.

The road was cut into the rock and a river ran below us, it made for a stunning back drop.

We passed a van with a load of goats on the roof sadly this is the picture (Jacks' effort )

We turned onto some fresh tarmac and the temperature dropped as we climbed higher and higher.

We got to a height of around 8500 feet and we just had to stop for pictures.

We came to a town called Imilchil and decided to call it a day, we found a hotel and made ourselves at home.

We had a strange dinner of cold cooked vegetables, cold fries and hot spicy chicken followed with fresh fruit. We broke the jetboil out again for a hot drink.

We got an early night after picking a destination further north for the following day (Meknes)

As I loaded the bike the guy who had booked us in and looked after us came to watch with his young daughter, as I climbed on the bike he lifted her up and sat her on the back, I handed him the camera. I love this shot.

We fuelled up at the local garage and then set off for the best adventure days riding of the trip, for me personally this day epitomised everything about the adventure riding.

We set off and rode through a small village (I really regret not having the helmet camera on) the village was run down, no tarmac on the road, locals waved as usual, but you could tell it was a very poor area. Women washed clothes in the river below us, even they took a moment to wave at us and the young girls accompanying them giggled. In the town people were fixing battered cars, they took a cautious glance at us. There was one guy ploughing a field with two donkeys harnessed to some large broken bough of an old tree. Goats, cows, chickens, donkeys and dogs roamed the dirty street, it was sureal, but the experience was priceless and it hit home of how little these people had yet the majority still smiled and waved at us. I felt kind of embarassed.

We came out of the village and hit tarmac, views were great again and as we stopped to take pictures an old truck passed us bellowing black smoke out of the battered exhaust. An old woman with three donkeys lost control of them as they ran into the path of the old truck.

On we went.

We continued over the Mid Atlas mountain range on adventurous roads!

Passed a shepherd.

No room for error

We made it down safely.

We passed El Kebab and made our way into the Cedar Forrest again.

We spotted some monkeys and Pete managed to get a snap this time

A few miles later my bike suddenly stuttered to a halt. I thumbed the starter...... Nothing, we were in the middle of nowhere, I tried the starter again and the same nothing, the bike turned over, but the engine wouldn't fire up. It had to be fuel we all agreed. I got out the tool roll and set to work dropping the sump guard to get at the fuel pump. I disconnected the outward flow fuel pipe and we tried the starter again, nothing. Luckily Rob had given me a spare facet to carry as a spare and I set to.

Team effort

I don't think it took us an hour start to finish. I primed the new pump a couple of times and then tried the starter......... And she fired up first time

During this time a guy (again) turned up out of nowhere, I mean we were miles away from anything! He showed up and engaged in conversation with Jack and Rob pointing to his sore foot. They administered a bit of first aid as his heel had an open sore and was black in colour, Rob and Jack cleaned up the wound and put on some anticeptic cream and covered with a small bandage. The guy thanked them and simply disappeared.

We made it to Meknes and found an Ibis hotel where we checked into. The city felt very European and had a good vibe about it. We drank beers and ate at a Pizza Hut just near the hotel, we had had a brilliant days riding and was one of the best days of the trip for me.

DeeGee screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 08:16 AM