Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #2731
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 82 View Post
Modern road bikes do have lights wired on these days. EU regulations I believe.

The no-lights bike was discussed earlier in the thread. Since it has no lights, you can tax it for daytime use only. This only applies to bikes without lights. Not lights that don't work. It's also dark by 4pm here at this time of year so it's far from ideal..
does that mean cheaper rego / road tax, I have 4 bikes & would only ride at night 1 or 2 times a year. We don't have that choice.

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #2732
bubu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
winter is here so it is time to work...

Old 11-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #2733
bubu
Studly Adventurer

The beginning ...

Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #2734
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
...That's what my mother said to me when I announced I was going to buy a motorbike. I was 18 and had worked all summer vacation to save up to buy my first bike - a second-hand RD250.

I'm now 52 ..and despite my best efforts, still here ... and riding.

Of course, she is right - we all will. But it's not how long you last that counts, but how much 'living' you manage to cram into life before the inevitable.

That's why I love this forum and these threads of pics - folk cramming in bucketloads of 'living' into life ...out having adventures on their bikes.

I have lurked here for over two years .. and thoroughly enjoyed viewing your fun. I thought it was about time I gave something back and contributed .... so here is my modest contribution ... no great adventures in far-flung lands I'm afraid ... but several year's worth of Sunday rideouts here in Scotland with some great folk.

Firstly three things that give a lot of pleasure

My camera
My Bike
Sarah (my partner with her GSXR750)

Most Sundays I get to play out with all three (so to speak!)

Good times!
That is exactly what my mother said to me when I got my first streetbike at age 16, a used Suzuki GT380. though I had been riding dirt bikes from age 8, and that didn't really seem to bother her, when I started riding on the street, she had already written me off, and it took over 2 years for her to realize that maybe I wasn't going to get killed after all. I am now 53 years old, have ridden over 500,000 miles on 41 different bikes, and have not yet had a single accident. (not counting all the times I got banged up racing MX as a teenager)
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #2735
bubu
Studly Adventurer

Old 11-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #2736
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
Here's a couple of pics from the "Highlands". Not the Scottish ones, but I'm typing this with my best Scottish accent!

Pike's Peak where the Hill Climb is run.

Continental just came out with TKC-80s in the size for my bike just before this trip, so I had to get them dirty! It just so happens that the tires are the same size used on a 750 gixer in case Sarah wants to be the first woman to ride one around the world!

Should you wish to see more, here's a video from the trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN-Bp_gi2ac

Top stuff..enjoyed the vid too - looks lovely and DRY and WARM ..things we are sadly missing here .

Love those tyres ...if we put them on Sarah's bike, as you suggest, I think the gixxer would probably look like something out of 'Mad Max'. .... which would be kind of cool..and useful in our current conditions with wet leaves on many roads.
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #2737
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Don't know how you guys ride in that cold weather...12c is about my limit, in yhe previous post you said Gary had no lights...don't you have to ride with the lights on in Scotland ? Here in Australia lights are hard wired to be on all the time.

So what's the plans for winter...push bike rides ? I'm off for a mid week ride today (23c) & next Sundays ride should be in lovely 28c...just right, last Sunday was mid 30's so on the way to summer here in Aus.

Terry
I think Matt has already answered your question ..but yes most bikes here have the lights hard wired to be on all the time too. But it's not compulsory to ride with your lights on during daylight hours if you have the option to turn them off. If your bike has no lights, like Gary's track bike, you can get a 'daytime MOT' that allows you to use it on public roads - but only during daylight hours (hence the need for him to get back before dark )

As for winter? - we still meet up as a group on Sunday mornings ..but just for breakfast and a chat ..and Sarah and I will continue cycling through the winter. I managed to get out for a ride on Sunday again but temps were 6C which meant that the roads never died out. Not ideal. ..but still, you have to take what you can get at this time of year.

Kamchat screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 03:35 PM
Old 11-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #2738
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
does that mean cheaper rego / road tax, I have 4 bikes & would only ride at night 1 or 2 times a year. We don't have that choice.
No ....... unfortunately.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #2739
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
winter is here so it is time to work...

You must love your 'work' though. Looks like you are keeping busy with the bikes.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #2740
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

So, we managed to stretch the season to yet another Sunday ..got out again on Sunday ...the weatherman said it was going to be 'cold and sunny' ...................he lied ......................about the 'sunny' bit.

I think most of our crew have now given up for the year so it was only three bikes out on Sunday - Graeme, Gordon & myself ....the cold temps (6C) meant the roads never dried out all day...but will still managed to get in a good 200 mile run.

It's always a nice feeling - that 'beginning of the day' feeling waiting for the others to arrive with a mug of tea and anticipating a day of riding and fun to come.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #2741
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Leaving Glasgow heading west up the A82 ...

Filling up at Milton - we weren't the only ones out for the day.....

Half an hour later - up at Tarbet...

Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #2742
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

through Arrochar...

and on up to the Rest...

Old 11-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #2743
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Top stuff..enjoyed the vid too - looks lovely and DRY and WARM ..things we are sadly missing here .

Love those tyres ...if we put them on Sarah's bike, as you suggest, I think the gixxer would probably look like something out of 'Mad Max'. .... which would be kind of cool..and useful in our current conditions with wet leaves on many roads.
Glad you liked it -thanks! It was pretty nice weather for the most part in Colorado, but it did get cold on occasion...

..but it's a dry cold, so it's OK when the sun is out and there's no wind! I did ride about 150 miles in the rain one day with temps in the mid 40s (7 degrees C or so). The slope on the front of the seat pools water where it shouldn't and my water resistant pants decided resistance was futile- . Wasn't there a cartoon called Chilly Willy?

A sport bike with knobbies would be sort of Mad Max looking and cool in a disturbing kind of way. Kind of like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PBsH4Xry9U
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #2744
Matt 82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
...meant that the roads never died out...
Yeah man the spirit of the biker is strong in you. Even in the cold harsh winter the road lives on in your heart.

Quote:
...meant the roads never dried out...
Ah right, never mind.

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #2745
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That is exactly what my mother said to me when I got my first streetbike at age 16, a used Suzuki GT380. though I had been riding dirt bikes from age 8, and that didn't really seem to bother her, when I started riding on the street, she had already written me off, and it took over 2 years for her to realize that maybe I wasn't going to get killed after all. I am now 53 years old, have ridden over 500,000 miles on 41 different bikes, and have not yet had a single accident. (not counting all the times I got banged up racing MX as a teenager)

Ah ha! - We seem to have lived the same life ......in an alternate universe?

Similar mothers, similar ages (I am 54), similar bikes (I had a GT380 too! - although it was my second bike after an RD250)....... it was all going so well..... right up to the 'not had a single accident' bit...(I have had about 14 ...
I think, - I'm losing count ). That's good going - you must lead a charmed life ...or maybe I'm just an idiot? ....

Well done though - that is seriously good going - I hope your record continues unbroken (like your bones).

Cheers

Kam