User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
DRT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Head Bearing Replacement with RM250 forks

I have a 2002 DR650. The previous owner installed USD 1994 RM250 forks. My steering is becoming a bit notchy and I want to replace the bearings. The problem is that I am not sure if I need the bearings and races from the 1994 RM250 or the ones that are for my DR650.
Anyone have any insight?
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
Replace both the top and bottom bearings and races as a set, here's a video someone posted on changing them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H-G1...eature=related
Old 11-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
DRT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I intend to replace as a set. The question is whether to buy the 1994 RM250 set or the 2002 DR650 set. The whole front end of the bike including both triple clamps, fork tubes, front wheel and brake is off of the RM250.
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,722
I replaced the forks on my DR 350 with a set from an RM125.I installed the stem from the DR350 into the RM triples. Chances are, you still have the DR650 stem in the RM triples as well as that's the easiest way to do the swap.

I would be willing to bet the DR650 bearings are what you need.

You could also order both sets and return the ones you don't use.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
I second that. Check the stem. I think that the RM used a aluminum steering stem, and the DR used a steel one. If it is steel use a DR bearing set.

If you have a aluminum steerer, I would not get the RM bearings though. The RM bearing off my donor forks (RM250-98) had much smaller bearing. I did the stem swap. However I learned from a guy that All-balls makes an fork swap kit. I imainge it is either a pecial beaing with an uncommon ID/OD combo or an extra large bearing race to make up for the smaller bearing.

Finally. Have you opened up the headset? Notchy steering is often due to poor adjustment. You can many times pull the bearing out give them a good cleaning/ inspection and regrease, reinstall, adjust and everything will be hunky dory for another million miles. THis is a DR after all. And if it does go bad again it is not a critical failure.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Why worry about getting bearing form the dealer, just remove the bearings and seals, get the numbers and go to a bearing house. You will likely get better quality for less money. For example I was told over 60 dollars for three rear wheel bearings on my old v-strom. Bearing house was around 20 dollars and they were better bearings. Could probably get them at napa. There is no reason to be tied to the dealer and have to pay their crazy prices just to get a box that says suzuki on it. A good bearing supplier can take the measurements and get you anything you need. Unless they were willing to pay a ton of money they are not custom bearings.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote