User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
ThirdUncle OP
Dusting my teeth

Oddometer: 51
Notched: On 4th steering head bearing set in 52,000km

Anyone else living this annoying and boring little repeating nightmare on their '09 F800GS? This set lasted 7,000 km. They've all been replaced by John Parker's crew at Budds BMW, Oakville on warranty. Every other bit of work they've done for me over the last two years has been spotless. So I don't believe it's them.

Theories abound -- from crap bearings (NTN and one other lesser brand, made no diff), to overly bumpy front tires, (Tourance, K60, TKC-80 at present), to rough terrain (well yeah, I do live in downtown Toronto, but I give the bike a rest from potholes on weekends when I take her to the Ganaraskan trails), to riding too straight (rubbish).

Tired of theories. Want a solution. Will Timkens put in the final fix?
ThirdUncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Consider front suspension mods to reduce steering head pounding and reduce front rim taco dings.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Kiwirich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Hi Third Uncle,

That's pretty crazy bearing consumption.I guess that installation issues are out of the question along with Lubrication.

Have you considered Electrical Earthing.?

I'm just wondering if there is some low current circuit passing through the bearings. This will effectively cause Arcs across the faces & over time it will destroy the hardening.

It took me a change of Handlebars and 4 sets of bearings to find this issue on my 1150 GSA. The symptoms were similar and it was a nick in the loom on the Right hand side.............

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Richard
Kiwirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwirich View Post
Hi Third Uncle,

That's pretty crazy bearing consumption.I guess that installation issues are out of the question along with Lubrication.

Have you considered Electrical Earthing.?

I'm just wondering if there is some low current circuit passing through the bearings. This will effectively cause Arcs across the faces & over time it will destroy the hardening.

It took me a change of Handlebars and 4 sets of bearings to find this issue on my 1150 GSA. The symptoms were similar and it was a nick in the loom on the Right hand side.............

Richard
Wow ... good on ya!
I don't know that I EVER would have tracked that down, but it is now etched into a couple of synapses for good ...
I hope....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
ThirdUncle OP
Dusting my teeth

Forgot I'd posted this... thanks for the input. I got my fourth set put in no charge a few weeks ago and am waiting for the new set to wear out. That's about it. As for earthing, how the hell would I do that?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdUncle View Post
Forgot I'd posted this... thanks for the input. I got my fourth set put in no charge a few weeks ago and am waiting for the new set to wear out. That's about it. As for earthing, how the hell would I do that?

If you had something grounded to your handlebars, or tripples or forks. Essentially any part up front that moves. This would cause the electricity to flow through the bearings to the battery.

Ryan
Old 11-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,044
Be sure it is not a case of same dealer, same crap quality bearings, and same tech using very little grease each time, and incorrect torque.
Earthing in the loom is going to really show up in the wet, you'd need some decent amperage to destroy greased bearings and races.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
yety61
Global Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,155
G'day all,
Just found this thread and thought I'd chime in. I have an '09 800 also and I am on my 4th set of steering head bearings in 40000km's so I'm having the same issue. Tried 2 different brands of bearings so far, made no difference. Currently waiting for the bike to get back from Russia, when it does, I'll be going over it with a magnifying glass trying to find any earth leakage to see if that is the problem. If I don't find anything then I'll just continue to ride the hell out of it and replace them every 12000km's, which is how long it takes them to wear out. I should know something in about 2 weeks, I'll keep you posted.
yety61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
deguoren
该出手时就出手

Oddometer: 156
Same here.

About 52000 km on the clock and I was advised that the bearing needs to be changed out soon.
First swap was at ~ 30.000 km
Next swap will not be done at my BMW dealer (good guys but using BMW parts might not always be the best choice). Last time they already told me the would only use original BMW parts.

Yes I ride the bike in dirt....
Do what you love, and do it often. If you don’t like something, change it. If you don’t like your job, quit. Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself. Some opportunities only come once; seize them. Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them, so go out and start creating. Live your dream, and wear your passion. Life is short."
deguoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,044
That's buullsht on the part of the dealer. Buy your own bearings, install them correctly, and be done with the problem.
Dealers are installing poor quality bearings and not using enough of the right quality grease and likely torquing them incorrectly.
Do it yourself.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
ThirdUncle OP
Dusting my teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by yety61 View Post
G'day all,
Just found this thread and thought I'd chime in. I have an '09 800 also and I am on my 4th set of steering head bearings in 40000km's so I'm having the same issue. Tried 2 different brands of bearings so far, made no difference. Currently waiting for the bike to get back from Russia, when it does, I'll be going over it with a magnifying glass trying to find any earth leakage to see if that is the problem. If I don't find anything then I'll just continue to ride the hell out of it and replace them every 12000km's, which is how long it takes them to wear out. I should know something in about 2 weeks, I'll keep you posted.
Lads,

I'll run the earthing idea past the Budds' techs, since I wouldn't know bad earthing from poor topsoil. I switched from a K60 front tire to a TKC80 last summer and got the new SHB in early Sept. I recall the the K60 front was noisy and one of the techs said that the SHB was worn evenly around the whole inside of the race, so maybe it was an evil resonance off the tire. Will report back if the new set wears out prematurely.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by yety61 View Post
G'day all,
Electrically conductive grease maybe?
Yes I've had a couple ...
BUT ........Google says a company I know to be reputable supplier has such an animal:

http://www.nyelubricants.com/product...nductive.shtml

Better of course to fix the root cause but ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote