User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #31
StudentOfTheGame
Sophmore ADV Rider

Oddometer: 44
Details

OK, more info on the project (yes, it's still a project, not a bike yet...)

Front ABS and Speed sensor are not functional... noisytoys was correct. Not sure about the disk, can anyone provide more info on that?

Front brake clearance was not quite perfect, the spokes were scraping paint off the caliper. Ground about .5mm off of the back of the caliper after talking to Woody's and a local bike mechanic. Basically took the paint off, and it clears now.

On the sprockets I matched the XChallenge stock settings, I didn't want to go too low to start with, until I get a feel for it.

Still thinking about fender solutions, I would like some way to hold the brake line so it isn't swinging around, it used to be attached to the front fender, but with the USD forks it's not easy to find a good mounting spot.

The handling is very twitchy, the narrow front with the XMoto's already unstable handling makes it a very nervous bike at any speed, a steering damper may be needed. I am also fighting with the wiring on the turn signals for the fender eliminator, they keep shorting and the resistors aren't working... I'm getting frustrated with this project now.

On that note, anyone want to make an offer? If someone has the time, money, and expertise to work on the wiring, fabricate a fender solution, fix the speedo disk issue, and put a damper on it, it will be an awesome bike... that person just isn't me.
1981 Yamaha XS650 Special II
StudentOfTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #32
noisytoys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
You are not that far off yourself!

Brake line; you need to fit the challenge (lower) fork protectors (or fitting KTM`s) there`s a line keeper on them.
(or go with the low 21inch wheel-frontfender from a F800GS, or similar.

ErikRS can draw and cut a custom ABS rotor for your rear disc-bolt pattern.

As for the twitchie part, I`m no expert by far, but fitting a bigger front wheel to the Moto fork should make it even slower reacting than an Xchallenge, because of the longer .... ( Nachlauf in German, the front axle is placed a few mm futher back in the Xmoto Fork compaired to the Xch or Xco )

So my assumption is that the harder rear spring/ damper of the Moto is making life harder when offroad.

What is your saddle height when seated on it?, (Xchallenge riders of similar weight could supplie you with theirs, problem is that the Xchallenge is pushed up by the air spring, when unseated,)

(My Moto is much harder sprung than my already beefed up rear end of my Xco)

So lower it asmap, and turn down the pré tension to lower and soften the rear, and the front fork needs to be at its longest, so all the way through the clamps.
noisytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #33
Mr F
I hear banjos.

Oddometer: 42
ErikRS can definitely get you an abs ring made. I had woody's make me a set of wheels for my xmoto, and Erik got me taken care of on the ABS ring.

Speedo functionality fully restored :)

Mr F is offline   Reply With Quote