Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #211
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,166
m, for the longest time...i have been waiting for your RR...

finally and worth the wait, have to celebrate another b-day in the meantime....

thanks M.

sorry mike about the crash, but good job to carry on up to PSR. i hope you're good as before again.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #212
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
What ended up 'worse than imagined'. Was he broken after all?
A few broken ribs (left side, back) and a semi-collapsed lung

Quote:
The light gets so flat out there during the middle of the day you can't see surface irregularities.
Def a contributing factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
m, for the longest time...i have been waiting for your RR...
At this rate I'll be done with days 2 and 3 by the end of May

... then I can start my WARPED report

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #213
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947

Zen Slug's Rides

Join the ADV TooL PooL!
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #214
airborndad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Slug View Post
soon
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #215
airborndad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Death Valley Noobs Ride Day 2 Part 1

Day 2 started as did most rides did by meeting at the Shell station
we met at 8:15 with a kickstands up start time of 8:30

5 bikes and 6 riders were all on time
from left to right:

Pearlite Suzuki DRZ 400s
theGrinch & Mrs Grinch KTM LC4 640 2up
Justin Yamaha XT 225
airborndad Yamaha XT 225 invisable due to being the one taking the picture
Specialagentnancy BMW F650

Great Group of Cool FF's

The plan as I wrote it on the ride sign up site that RobG set up:

Slab west, buy park passes in Stovepipe, straight to Rhyolite explore the sites then to Beatty, and eat an early lunch there @ Ensenada Grill. After lunch, top off gas in Beatty Then to beautiful Titus Canyon. Will re-gas in Stovepipe on the way back.
Map Link
http://g.co/maps/nx3mj
This will be noob friendly and big bike friendly if you have moderate dirt skills.
Maximum distance between gas stops will be less than 100 miles.

First obstacle was the big hill
First destination was going to be Stovepipe wells to pick up park passes the place was closed
we had to shove cash or credit cards into an automated machine outside where Specialagentnancy proceeded to buy a $10 pass for $14
after that we headed out to our next real destination Rhyolite

This is leaving Stovepipe Wells

Nevada Border almost there

The Goldwell Open Air Museum is an outdoor sculpture park near the ghost town of Rhyolite The nonprofit museum was organized in 2000 after the death of Albert Szukalski, the Belgian artist who created the site's first sculptures in 1984 near the abandoned railway station in Rhyolite. The sculpture, The Last Supper, consists of ghostly life-sized forms arranged as in the painting The Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci, Szukalski molded his shapes by draping plaster-soaked burlap over live models until the plaster dried enough to stand on its own.

In the same year, using the same techniques, Szukalski also created Ghost Rider, a plaster figure preparing to mount a bicycle.

Dre Peters created Icara a hand-carved female version of Icarus, the boy in Greek mythology who flew too close to the sun.

In the 1990s, Hugo Heyrman added Lady Desert: The Venus of Nevada, a cinder block sculpture in part based on the idea of the pixel,

Fred Bervoets, in Tribute to Shorty Harris, celebrated one of the prospectors whose mining discovery of 1904 led to a Gold Rush

Other works at the site include Sofie Siegmann's Sit Here!, a couch created in 2000 for the Lied Discovery Children's Museum in Las Vegas and restored and moved to Goldwell in 2007.

A little History:

Rhyolite's birth was brought about by Shorty Harris and E. L. Cross, who were prospecting in the area in 1904. They found quartz all over a hill, and as Shorty describes it "... the quartz was just full of free gold... it was the original bullfrog rock... this banner is a crackerjack" declared Shorty! "The district is going to be the banner camp of Nevada. I say so once and I’ll say it again." At that time there was only one other person in the whole area: Old Man Beatty who lived in a ranch with his family five miles away. Soon the rush was on and several camps were set up including Bullfrog, the Amargosa and a settlement between them called Jumpertown. A townsite was laid out nearby and given the name Rhyolite from the silica-rich volcanic rock in the area.
There were over 2000 claims covering everything in a 30 mile area from the Bullfrog district. The most promising was the Montgomery Shoshone mine, which prompted everyone to move to the Rhyolite townsite. Industrialist Charles M. Schwab bought the Montgomery Shoshone Mine in 1906 and invested heavily in infrastructure including piped water, electric lines, and railroad transportation that served the town as well as the mine. The town immediately boomed with buildings springing up everywhere. One building was 3 stories tall and cost $90,000 to build.which would be equivalent to $2,330,000 in 2012 A stock exchange and Board of Trade were formed. The red light district drew women from as far away as San Francisco. During its heyday, from 1905-1911, it contained 2 churches, 50 saloons, 18 stores, 2 undertakers, 19 lodging houses, 8 doctors, 2 dentists, a stock exchange an opera, a school for 250 children, an ice plant, two electric plants, foundries and machine shops and even a miner’s union hospital.
The town citizens had an active social life including baseball games, dances, basket socials, whist parties, tennis, a symphony, Sunday school picnics, basketball games, Saturday night variety shows at the opera house and pool tournaments. In 1906 Countess Morajeski opened the Alaska Glacier Ice Cream Parlor to the delight of the local citizenry. That same year an enterprising miner, Tom T. Kelly, built a Bottle House out of 50,000 beer and liquor bottles.
In April 1907 electricity came to Rhyolite, and by August of that year a mill had been constructed to handle 300 tons of ore a day at the Montgomery Shoshone mine. It consisted of a crusher, 3 giant rollers, over a dozen cyanide tanks and a reduction furnace. The Montgomery Shoshone mine had become nationally known because Bob Montgomery once boasted he could take $10,000 a day in ore from the mine. It was later owned by Charles Schwab, who purchased it in 1906 for a reported 2 to 6 million dollars.
Published estimates of the town's peak population vary widely, but scholarly sources generally place it in a range between 3,500 and 5,000 in 1907–08.
Rhyolite declined almost as rapidly as it rose. After the richest ore was exhausted, production fell. The 1906 San Francisco Earthquake and the financial panic of 1907 made it more difficult to raise development capital and was seen as the beginning of the end for the town. In 1908, investors in the Montgomery Shoshone Mine, concerned that it was overvalued, ordered an independent study. When the study's findings proved unfavorable, the company's stock value crashed, further restricting funding. In the next few years mines started closing and banks failed. Newspapers went out of business, and by 1910 the production at the mill had slowed to $246,661 and there were only 611 residents in the town. On March 14, 1911 the directors voted to close down the Montgomery Shoshone mine and mill. In 1916 the light and power were finally turned off in the town. By the end of 1910, the mine was operating at a loss, and it closed in 1911. By this time, many out-of-work miners had moved elsewhere, and Rhyolite's population dropped well below 1,000. By 1920, it was close to zero.
After 1920, Rhyolite and its ruins became a tourist attraction and a setting for motion pictures. Most of its buildings crumbled, were salvaged for building materials, or were moved to nearby Beatty or other towns, although the railway depot and a house made chiefly of empty bottles were repaired and preserved. Today you can find several remnants of Rhyolite’s glory days. Some of the walls of the 3 story bank building are still standing, as is part of the old jail. The train depot (privately owned) is one of the few complete buildings left in the town, as is the Bottle House. The Bottle House was restored by Paramount pictures in Jan, 1925.

Sherri and Pete

former Caboose / gas station

After we had seen as much of Rhyolite as we wanted to see we headed to Beatty, Nevada as planned for an early lunch at the Ensenada Grill turns out The Ensenada Grill no longer exists so we stopped at the restaurant that was occupying the building where the Ensenada grill used to be hoping that the food was decent enough to fuel us up for the rest of the ride we got there a bit early as they were only serving Breakfast but we asked the waitress if they could serve us lunch she checked with the cooks and they accomodated our request
good service good food good prices no disappointments here

Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #216
airborndad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Death Valley Noobs Ride Day 2 Part 2

after lunch we topped off our gas tanks and headed out of town back past Rhyolite to Titus Canyon soon as we hit dirt we had a short talk about riding your own pace and a few of the places we were going to stop at and regroup

a couple miles into Titus just checking to see what everyones pace was and everyone was doing great

Nancy and Joel

here's what the Death Valley NPS site wrote about Titus

Titus Canyon Road
Vehicle needed: Two-wheel-drive, high-clearance recommended; four-wheel-drive may be needed after adverse weather conditions. Two-way section from west OK for two-wheel-drive, standard clearance vehicles.
Distance: 27 miles; last 3 miles on west end are two-way
Time needed: 2 to 3 hours
Start: Nevada Highway 374 (Daylight Pass Road), 2 miles east of park boundary Road
Conditions: One-way road from east; this dirt road is rough, steep and narrow; often closed due to snow, mud, or wash outs; two-way section from west is graded dirt road.
Warnings: Infrequently patrolled, summer travel not advised. Canyon prone to flash flooding, avoid entering when rain threatens. Ask at ranger stations for current road and weather conditions.
Titus Canyon has it all—rugged mountains, colorful rock formations, a ghost town, petroglyphs, wildlife, rare plants and spectacular canyon narrows as a grand finale! Visitors to Titus Canyon often include a stop at Rhyolite ghost town before starting the one-way drive. Don’t expect solitude on this trip. Titus Canyon is the most popular back-country road in Death Valley National Park.

Pearalite Joel motoring through the beginning of the roads first turns

specialagentnancy leading Pearalite

Titanothere Canyon
From Highway 374 the one-way road heads west across the Amargosa Valley and climbs into the Grapevine Mountains. At White Pass it enters upper Titanothere Canyon. Colorful rock deposits along this section contain fossil beds 30-35 million years old. The fossil skull of a huge, rhino-like titanothere was found here in 1933. A cast of that skull is on display in the Furnace Creek Visitor Center.

theGrinch and MrsGrinch

Titanothere Canyon just before Red Pass

going up towards Red Pass lead by pearalite (Joel)

Red Pass (5250'elev.)
The highest point on the road is this divide between Titanothere and Titus Canyons

specialagentnancy and Justin

Justin coming to a stop after getting to the top of Titanothere Canyon
the beginning of the descent into Titus Canyon is just around the next corner but were going to take a short break here

the road we just came up

and the road we are going to go down next

everyone taking a break there were 2 other ADVers there also didn't get there names though

Next stop

Leadfield
The ghost town of Leadfield "boomed" for less than a year in 1926-27 because the lead deposits bottomed out quickly. All that is left today are a few shacks and a number of mines. Many of the mines are open, but enter at your own risk. Loose rocks, rotten timbers, unexpected vertical shafts, and animals seeking shelter are potential hazards.
Copper and lead claims had been filed in the Leadfield area as early as 1905 but it wasn’t until 1926 that the area was heavily mined. In February of that year, Charles C. Julian, a flamboyant California promoter, became president of the town’s leading mining company, the Western Lead Mines. Julian’s promotions were responsible for bringing great numbers of people into the area and in April, 1926 the town was laid out with 1749 lots.
The financial downfall of Charles Julian and the playing out of lead in one of the main mines, led to the end of the town. The area is scattered with mines, dumps, tunnels and prospect holes. There are remains of wood and tin buildings, a dugout and cement foundations of the mill.

from Leadfield looking back at the rest of the group

building the best house you can with what ever you can find seemed to be the common practice back then

I'm sure this used to be a nice car at some point in time wish I knew what kind it was and what year ???
I would have to guess early 20's ???????????????

The Group

the beginning of Titus Canyon

Klare Spring
Bighorn Sheep depend on this small water source for their survival, which makes this one of the best locations in the park to view these elusive creatures. Native Americans came to the spring to hunt the bighorn and left behind petroglyphs pecked into the rock. These ancient designs are irreplaceable, please have respect and do not vandalize them.

Canyon Narrows
The final 1.5 miles of the canyon is the most narrow. The walls squeeze down to less than 20 feet apart in some places. As the road enters the narrows it enters an area of shadow and echoes that is best appreciated on foot.

last break

Out of the Canyon heading towards the pavement
last chance to twist it hard in the dirt and have a little fun

the group catching up

the stats
photo taken the next morning

airborndad screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 11:44 AM
Old 04-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #217
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
I'm sure this used to be a nice car at some point in time wish I knew what kind it was and what year ???
I would have to guess early 20's ???????????????

Nice report, great pix.

Based on the shape of the fenders I would say Model T Ford. Yes, they were around in the 20's.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #218
airborndad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nice report, great pix.

Based on the shape of the fenders I would say Model T Ford. Yes, they were around in the 20's.

THANKS

It looked a little more luxurious and a lot longer than a Model T ??

Packard maybe?
I don't know I'll have to show my dad these pics and see what he says

Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #219
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
THANKS

It looked a little more luxurious and a lot longer than a Model T ??

Packard maybe?
I don't know I'll have to show my dad these pics and see what he says
Yeah, I was gonna say Packard maybe as well. Now looks too big to be a 'T'.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #220
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Shiney thing caught my eye

oooh.
276C...PlUS
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #221
airborndad OP
Beastly Adventurer

I know I know It was a long time ago, I wrote it in April but forgot to post My RR for Day 3 so here it is better late than never
Maybe

Day 3
I signed up myself and Justin for this ride:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ride: Get Dirty and Salty With Peligro
Lead By: SenorPeligro
On: Saturday
Max Number of Riders: 6

Meet: Outside PSR Restaurant
At: 9:00
Departs: 9:30

THIS RIDE HAS CHANGED! Pay attention at the back.
Due to underwhelming interesting in yet another Panamint loop I'm leading you plucky adventurers on a little trip from Panamint Springs, to Darwin and then up Saline Valley Road, through South Pass as far as the junction with Lippincott Mine Road. Then we'll double back to PSR for hot cocoa and tales of derring-do around the campfire.
PSR -> Old Toll Road -> Ophir Road -> Darwin -> Darwin Road --> Saline Valley Road --> Junction with Lippincott Mine Road.
Like this:
http://g.co/maps/zfam6
Just under a 100 miles back to PSR.
If everyone has the range or can arrange for gas, I might be talked into pushing this trip to the Saline Valley Hot Springs. I have it on good authority that it's about 140 miles.
Meet outside the PSR restaurant at 9:00 to familiarize yourself with the route, ready for a 9:30 chocks-away. Look for an orange F800GS with my name on the plate.

SenorPeligro F800GS
airborndad XT225
Justin XT225
Muddydonut KTM 950 ADV
specialagentnancy BMW F650
Cowgirl WR250
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

when myself and Justin got to the gas station/ meet up location only 2 other riders were there
so it looked like it was just going to be

SenorPeligro F800GS
airborndad XT225
Justin XT225
specialagentnancy BMW F650

SenorPeligro asked me if I would ride sweep so I said no problem just as we were getting ready to leave 1 other rider joined us I don't know who it was but I think he was on a DR 350

anyways we left Panamint Spring and headed up towards the Old Darwin Toll rd
turned where the parking area was for the hiking trail to Darwin Falls
specialagentnancy started to have just a little bit a struggle negotiating some of the sharp off camber uphill turns but kept pushing along then it got a little more tore up and she decided that it was probably best for her to bail early so I tried to wave to signal the other riders as they were going through the switchbacks above us unfortunately none of them bothered to look back so I figured they'll notice us pretty soon and come back looking for us so in the meantime we got specialagentnancy's bike turned around and pointing in the right direction then we waited and waited and waited I gave specialagentnancy some suggestions on were to go and showed her on a map that I gave her about 15 minutes went by and I figured they were long gone so we decided to head back down to the flat section where the parking area was for the hiking trail to Darwin Falls then I would turn around and try to catch up to the rest of the group while she was going on her solo exploration toward Augueberry Point and elsewhere so on my way back up I got back to the point we turned around at and the rest of the group was coming back down so I thought cool were all back together lets get going
well I guess they all decided to turn around cause the road was too tore up and SenorPeligro said his clutch was burning up so they were heading to Saline Valley rd or something ? I wan't to keep going so I asked Justin if he wanted to continue he said I'm going wherever you go I asked the guy on the DR he said he was going back also so 3 maybe 3-1/2 miles into the ride the group of 5 was now 2 so off we go I told Justin to honk when we get to the part that was giving them trouble cause I couldn't recall anything that bad when I went through there last year so about a 1/2 mile later we get to a corner and Justin honks and I'm thinking WTF theres nothing here but just around the corner it got pretty steep with staggered foot deep holes everywhere and plenty of loose rocks and dirt it was a bit of a challenge but not a problem on our bikes by weaving our way around them, through them, and over them
But on a loaded F800GS I can totally understand this turning into a major obstacle and I think specialagentnancy would probably have been crashing her F650 so it was probably a good decision for the big bikes to turn back
turns out that short 150 - 200 foot section up to the top of the hill was the only bad part of the road
so me and Justin were just gonna cruise around checking things out at our own pace now

Square headed Nuts and Bolts on rivited together piping = OLD

Old mid 50's Buick

On our way to Darwin we spotted this rig, so since we had no other riders to try to keep up with, or keep track of ,
we decided to figure out a way to get up to it and check it out

then we went down the same OLD toll road we went down last year since we liked it so much last time + we did a little more exploring 

You can see that at one time this road was actually paved but there's not very much pavement left that can be seen
This is the biggest section

Cool blueish green rocks

Hidden just around the corner found a nice little mine tunnel

Headed out past Darwin spotted a walking fish

hit the highway and the wind really started kicking up so we headed back towards Panamint Springs Resort
and stopped at Father Crowley Point

Panamint Springs and more wind ahead

THE END

I think

airborndad screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 12:10 PM
Old 07-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #222
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

lots of nice pics there keith.

that's not too far from camp and still i missed it even though i put 500 miles in 3 days. neither made it to chloride, titus, pleasant canyon, tea kettle, hunter, lippencott, etc.

death valley is huge. one will need a week and a big gas tank to see them all.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #223
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Who ever won the tires for best trip report?
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #224
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbum View Post
Who ever won the tires for best trip report?
hey matt, hope you guys are doing more riding.

this may be one of the least expensive event, but we manage to get a lot of sponsors and donors. after that huge raffle, we still had about $400 ($100 from sito and $300 from nowwhat) in the pot.

i ended up giving 2 tires to the commemorative souvenir sponsor who brought about 200 pieces of drinking glasses.

then, 2 more tires for the best trip report, however we had a 3-way tie. I splitted up the remaining cash among ersin (fyyff), isaac west and chris (browneye).

dsm8 was the lucky winner to receive the advmoto magazine free 1 year subscription....http://www.adventuremotorcycle.com/?...FUEGRQod3FJeJw

i apologize for the late announcement; so, looking forward to see you all and more new faces next year.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #225
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,376
I think it's time to start the list for the 2013 nOOb Rally... what'cha think, eh?