Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
After spending too long talking with the biker headed to Baja I mounted back up and kept heading south. Plan was to go into San Francisco, hang out for awhile and take some pics. Weather was getting fairly hot and needed an extended break. Always interesting in SF. I could spend all day just watching the freaks and weirdos walk by. Place has got quite a few of them. Although maybe they think I'm the freak for riding around on a motorcycle. I guess it takes all kinds to keep it interesting.

Found a bar with some parking for bikes and just hung out for a couple of hours. Nice open air bar for a cold one and a great viewing spot.

Someone in SF doesn't like our postal service. Never have understood people that vandalize others stuff.

Hi boys. Nice purses.

Mounted back up and kept working south. Took a wrong turn somewhere and ended on the eastside of the city and traffic was bad. Had planned to get further south but only made it to Half Moon Bay.

Stayed in Half Moon Bay for the night and back on 1 early the next morning. Ended up in Monterey for breakfast. This is a really pretty town on the coast. Just south of here is Carmel with Pebble Beach golf course. As I use to be an avid golfer thought I'd check it out. Had seen it numerous times on TV and it didn't disapoint. It is a really pretty area and the golf course along the course is a golfers dream.

Saw this just outside of Monterey and did a U-turn to get a picture.

Monterey.....

Had been told about a scenic road called 17 mile drive which goes to Carmel. Multi-million dollar homes and a scenic drive along the coast. Decided to check it out even though it's a toll road. I pull up to the gate and park. Get off the bike to pay the toll and a security guard tells me I can't ride a motorcycle on the road. ?????????????? Told me they had a guy on a motorcycle get on the golf course, tore up a green and now bikes are banned. So I ask.....if a car had done that would you ban all cars? Those are the rules mister....you can turn around here. Guy was a real ass. As I'm mounting up a guy comes over to me and tells me to go back up the road a few hundred yards and there is a dirt trail that I can take and pop out below the guard shack that will put me on the scenic road. Guys says it's a stupid regulation because alot of the homes on the drive has people living there with bikes. I think they just wanted to keep riff raff like me out of there. Anyway, I find the path, pop back out on the road and had a nice cruise into Carmel. Plus as a bonus I saved having to pay the $9.00 toll.

Stopped at Pebble Beach and checked out some of the holes along the coast. Just like you see on TV. Guy in the parking lot told me it's like $275 to play a round. Yea right, like I'm going to pay that to play golf. Saw lots of people that appeared to have a friggin butt load of money.
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,537
Great RR so far! Did the coast north of SF to Ferndale, including Usal, Lost Coast, Sinkeyone, and Shelter Cove a month ago -- thanks for the pics and the memories!!

Guess I should get mine up...
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post
Great RR so far! Did the coast north of SF to Ferndale, including Usal, Lost Coast, Sinkeyone, and Shelter Cove a month ago -- thanks for the pics and the memories!!

Guess I should get mine up...
By all means. Post up those pics. We'd all love to see them.

Left Monterey and headed south to the Big Sur area. This to me is one of the prettiest sections along the coast. Had perfect weather but the traffic picked up quite a bit along with some road construction. Still an epic day of riding. Decided to go ahead and check out the Horizons Unlimited gathering.

Gonna jump ahead here a few days. I arrived at the Horizons Unlimited late Thursday and although it went thru Sunday I was really ready to leave on Friday but stuck it out until early Saturday morning as I'd paid for camping and some meals. Probably about 200 or so people, all of whom I met were really nice but it just wasn't my cup of tea. You can only look at bikes so long and I thought the talks/presentations were not very good. Guess some really like this type of gathering but I wouldn't go back especially considering the price. I'd much rather be out exploring and riding. I kinda hung out Thursday night and went to some presentations. Friday I got up and rode back up the coast to get some pictures of the elephant seals.

Met this couple from Germany doing a Round the World Tour. They were also at the HU gathering. They could really ride this thing. I was impressed at how well they could corner with it. Talked with them back at the gathering. Really interesting and nice couple.

Friday night decided that I was gonna take off the following morning and head east to the Southern Sierras and take a route I hadn't been on before. Was kinda watching the weather back home and figured I had about a 3 day window to get back. Really didn't want to slab on Interstate north and then cut over on Tioga Pass as I had done this several times. Friend of mine was also at the gathering and he left for home as well Saturday morning and took a more northerly direct route and made it. I cut it to close and would pay for it later but the next two days were great riding in some new areas I hadn't covered before. Headed east with Sequoia National Forest the destination for the day. Pouned out the miles until arriving in Springville. East of there the road starts twisting and climbing.

Rode across the souther Sierras up thru Camp Nelson and ended up north of Kernville on the Kern River. Found a closed campground and since the weather looked great opted to sleep on the picnic table vice setting up the tent.

Camp for the night....

hanksmybuddy screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 11:39 PM
Old 11-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
BigWan
The Cripple Maker

Oddometer: 285
Enjoying your photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
What do you think BigWan....... could I get that Russian Piece of Shit over Swansea grade? Would love to go back up to the Tram Station on it. I don't think I could get up from the Cerro Gordo side. Too steep.
I would say, it's a definite maybe
There is one hill going in from Swansea that is kinda steep and a wee bit loose. It's not as steep as the Cerro Gordo side, however there is less traction.
I would try it (especially on your bike),but I do lots of stupid stuff. One question. What's it like turning that thing around mid hill?

Here's the hill we are talking about.
http://youtu.be/bzvkY6D7ykQ
BigWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
Night Goat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Great area. Would highly recommend it.

Popped out on Hwy 101 at Garberville. Place is a trip. Stopped for something to eat and while sitting outside at a small deli watched the freaks roll by. .....

Ha, I had lunch at this very cafe not more than 3 weeks ago. I sat at the table where the gentleman in the green flannel is sitting. I did a quick 2 day trip from the Bay up into the Siskiyou's. Northern CA in the autumn can't be beet. The air is cool, the coast is pleasant, and the tourists are gone.
Ride safe.

Great report BTW.
Night Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #21
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Broke camp early and headed north to road J41 which goes over Sherman Pass, Kennedy Meadows, Nine Mile Canyon Road which eventually dumps out on Hwy 395. Explored some side roads during the days ride. Didn't really care where I ended up for the night so just explored.

Some side road exploration. Would love to come back up this way on my XR650L. Places the Strom just wasn't real comfortable with.

Took a break around lunch at fire tower lookout. About a 4 mile drive off the paved road and then another 1/4 mile hike in. Nice guy manning the tower so hung out awhile.

Top of Sherman Pass. Was running heated gear up here. Got pretty cold. Great riding with zero traffic.

Kennedy Meadows (Think this was the name of the little stop. Doing this at work so I don't have a map in front of me).

After dropping off the summit and going thru Kennedy Meadow started down the eastside towards 395. Ran into two couples from France who didn't speak a whole lot of English. They had rented two bikes out of Vegas and were headed to the coast. They were a little lost so I tried to point them in the right direction.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #22
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,715
Quote:

Camp for the night....

That looks like a great spot!
Your photos are always so nice.

Hey, I like your new rig - it's really cool!
I love that you can ride it in the snow. That's so awesome!

Quote:
Hi boys. Nice purses.
and, I found the perfect man purse to go with it...

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Goat View Post
Ha, I had lunch at this very cafe not more than 3 weeks ago. I sat at the table where the gentleman in the green flannel is sitting. I did a quick 2 day trip from the Bay up into the Siskiyou's. Northern CA in the autumn can't be beet. The air is cool, the coast is pleasant, and the tourists are gone.
Ride safe.

Great report BTW.
Thanks. I could of sat out front there for hours just people watching. Next time I'll have my zoom lens so I can get some quality shots! You live near some quality riding out your way.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #24
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lil Wan...... How dare you. The green in that purse would clash with my Desert Camo Ural! I do have an image to maintain. I know you got that purse out of BigWan's closet so if he has one in Desert Camo please send it to me!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #25
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hit Nine Mile Canyon road. Perfect temps, sunshine, no traffic and an epic road with views. It doesn't get much better than this. Started losing altitude heading towards the Owens Valley.

It ended way too soon. Had spent the majority of the day getting down to 395 in the valley. Weather was still holding but starting to build to the north. Once I got on 395 I let the Strom haul the mail and had planned to just keep going north. Of course, when I got to Lone Pine I thought.....hell, I'm here might as well ride up thru the Alabama Hills up the road that leads to Mount Whitney. A big mistake as I would later realize. I could see the weather building but my stupid ass figured it would hold off. I'd had perfect weather for the past week....why should it change now!

Putting in the miles headed north.

Alabama Hills outside Lone Pine enroute to the Mount Whitney portal road.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #26
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWan View Post
Enjoying your photos

I would say, it's a definite maybe
There is one hill going in from Swansea that is kinda steep and a wee bit loose. It's not as steep as the Cerro Gordo side, however there is less traction.
I would try it (especially on your bike),but I do lots of stupid stuff. One question. What's it like turning that thing around mid hill?

Here's the hill we are talking about.
http://youtu.be/bzvkY6D7ykQ
No need to turn around. Just put it in reverse and back it up! Two wheel drive and reverse It would easily come in from the Swansea side even on that one hill. Put it in two wheel drive and it would crawl over that. Pretty sure I couldn't come in from Cerro Gordo. When I did it on the XR I had it pinned going up the one steep hill. I'd love to take the Ural up there and camp for a couple of nights. I remember a good spot right after the tram up top.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #27
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After screwing around in the Alabama Hills got back out on 395 and headed north again. Up thru Big Pine, Bishop and started climbing up towards Mamooth Lakes. Had hoped to get over the pass and into the Carson Valley. Didn't happen. As soon as I left Bishop the temps started dropping and light was fading. Decided to call it in Mamooth Lakes and found Motel 6. Temps were really falling and the sky wasn't looking good. Soon as I walked in the manager said I'll give you a room but if you stay I don't think you'll get out of here on a bike tomorrow morning. We're expecting snow. Now I was regretting all the stops and picture taking I had done during the day. If I'd of just kept moving I would have dropped down into the Carson Valley and missed this. Back on the bike, hook up the electric heat and haul ass north in the dark. Soon as I left Mamooth it started snowing mixed with rain. This was not going to be fun. I hate riding at night as it is and now I get to do it in snow/rain. Remembered back to two years ago when I came down to Death Valley in late spring http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688728 and ran into a bad snowstorm trying to get back home. Not having much luck in Mamooth Lakes.

Pic from a previous trip to Death Valley

Rode about 20 miles from Mamooth and had two deer run across the road right in front of me. Knew this was stupid trying to push thru this stuff in the dark. Decided to try and make Bridgeport and hole up there. If I got snowed in for a couple of days so be it. At least I wouldn't kill myself hitting a deer or freezing to death. Snow started sticking to the sides of the road and knew it wouldn't be much longer before the road started holding snow and icing up. I was creeping along at this point. Came up on a little resturant/lodge in the dark and decided I wasn't going any further. Walked in dripping wet. Lady said they had a room above the kitchen but it was pretty femine. WTF? Said it didn't have a bathroom or TV plus the heat didn't work real well. I said if it doesn't leak and has a bed I don't care how femine it is or how much it is. I was freezing and wanted off the road. Room was right above the restuarant and you could hear every word. I heard everything from wedding plans to why our country was going to shit in a hand basket. Only thing I was concerned with at this point was when is my ass going to warm up and when that damn resturant was going to close for the night. Luckily the last patrons finished up around midnight.

Following day was by far the worst day I have ever spent astride a motorcycle. I left my femine abode at daybreak in full on cold rain with 30 mph winds. Oh yea.....let the fun begin.

hanksmybuddy screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 10:33 PM
Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #28
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,715
Quote:

Gorgeous! Love this one.

Quote:
I know you got that purse out of BigWan's closet so if he has one in Desert Camo please send it to me!
Sorry. Every purse in his closet is KTM orange.

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #29
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Gorgeous! Love this one.

Sorry. Every purse in his closet is KTM orange.

I thought I saw BigWan with an Orange purse at the KTM rally. Pretty sure it was that fluffy one top right.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #30
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Left Bridgeport and the plan was to ride all the way into Bend. 510 miles. Weather and wind was bad all day. Rain, snow and high winds. Made it as far as Lakeview, Oregon before the snow was just too much. Last 10 miles into Lakeview was done at about 10 miles per hour. Finally made it to Lakeview which is about 150 miles from home. Posted up on a local forum and a friend, Dave Wachs, of the famous Rescue One Service said he'd come after me. Thought about sitting it out but they were calling for more snow the following day and I wanted to get home. Dave showed up the following morning and we loaded up and hauled the bike into Bend. All in all...... a great ride.

Wachs......Rescue One has shown up to save the day. Big thanks to Dave for driving over to Lakeview to get me.

The end!