Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrawk View Post
.... im def going with a 100 (1000) because i want the extra umph for long loaded highway runs. a large bore carb and head 1000, and i have a few to choose from at work ...
Don't get fixated on the 'big bore' heads and carbs. Not worth it in my opinion ... Get the standard bore 980cc pistons and cylinders the smaller bore heads and VM32 Mikuni carbs ... It will have more more power through all of the range than the 'big bore' stuff.

But it sounds like you should be looking for a naked R100 from 81 to 84. They are out there. These are the dual shocks with no flywheel, just clutch carrier.

PS - My youngest daughter sends you this:
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #17
acousticrawk OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Oddometer: 88
why dual shock over monoshock? i dont think the final drive gear ratio availability is that big of a deal to me. i just want something decent for the highway. doesnt have to be great even. as long as it will do 80mph fairly easily while being loaded down.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #18
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,325
Monolever final drives are getting tough to find. Monolever spoked hubs with remaining brake lining are approaching "hens teeth" status. You can get a 4 lug monolever and mill a later paralever GS hub to fit, but then ideally you'd have to redrill the spoke holes in the hub for a conventional rim instead of BMW's tubeless cross spoke rim.

The dual shock parts are easier to source and you have a greater variety of final drive ratios available to you. Sustained comfortable actual 80mph (not indicated) is a bit high for the 37:11 ratio, especially for 1000cc engine. 32:10 would be about right in my mind.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #19
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Monolever final drives are getting tough to find. Monolever spoked hubs with remaining brake lining are approaching "hens teeth" status. You can get a 4 lug monolever and mill a later paralever GS hub to fit, but then ideally you'd have to redrill the spoke holes in the hub for a conventional rim instead of BMW's tubeless cross spoke rim.

The dual shock parts are easier to source and you have a greater variety of final drive ratios available to you. Sustained comfortable actual 80mph (not indicated) is a bit high for the 37:11 ratio, especially for 1000cc engine. 32:10 would be about right in my mind.

What he said.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
acousticrawk OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Quote:

Not sure i quite understand? I know I want a spoked rear wheel at least i think, and I know I want a 17' wheel right? and a 20 or a 21" front right? spoked in the front for sure. I have about 20 mono lever final drives to choose from at work ;) my question is, can i get a spoked 17 inch wheel for the rear thats 4 lug? the G/S and r80's are 3 lug right? id also preferable like to run a disc rear, but not absolutely necessary.

thanks!!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Not sure i quite understand? I know I want a spoked rear wheel at least i think, and I know I want a 17' wheel right? and a 20 or a 21" front right? spoked in the front for sure. I have about 20 mono lever final drives to choose from at work ;) my question is, can i get a spoked 17 inch wheel for the rear thats 4 lug? the G/S and r80's are 3 lug right? id also preferable like to run a disc rear, but not absolutely necessary.

thanks!!
Yes, I'd want a spoke rear. They handle abuse much better. 17" or 18" would both work. Depends on what kind of tires you want. For serious offroad work there's a much better selection of 18" tires. Problem is that none of the 4 lug monolever bikes had spoked wheels and therefore there is no such thing as a 4 lug monolever spoked hub, so you'd have to make one by milling down a R100GS hub to fit. You definitely want a 21" front rim, probably 1.85" wide. Forget about a disc rear on a monolever, unless you want to do a LOT of work.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #22
acousticrawk OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Quote:
Yes, I'd want a spoke rear. They handle abuse much better. 17" or 18" would both work. Depends on what kind of tires you want. For serious offroad work there's a much better selection of 18" tires. Problem is that none of the 4 lug monolever bikes had spoked wheels and therefore there is no such thing as a 4 lug monolever spoked hub, so you'd have to make one by milling down a R100GS hub to fit. You definitely want a 21" front rim, probably 1.85" wide. Forget about a disc rear on a monolever, unless you want to do a LOT of work.
great info. so, then, did they make a spoke rear for dual shock bikes? also, switching to an 18 rear, and a 21 front, do i need to worry about rake and trail being changed to much? I dont fully understand rake and trail.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #23
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
great info. so, then, did they make a spoke rear for dual shock bikes? also, switching to an 18 rear, and a 21 front, do i need to worry about rake and trail being changed to much? I dont fully understand rake and trail.
Yes, all /6 and some later dual shock wheels are spoked. Yes, you're frame geometry will be changing, but wheel size will probably be affecting this quite a bit less than suspension changes. I'm assuming you'll be using longer travel forks at a minimum and maybe a lengthened swingarm, so those will have a much bigger effect on your geometry than your wheel sizes.

Here's some reading for you:
http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/RakeEx/RakeEx.htm

Old 11-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #24
acousticrawk OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Quote:
Yes, all /6 and some later dual shock wheels are spoked. Yes, you're frame geometry will be changing, but wheel size will probably be affecting this quite a bit less than suspension changes. I'm assuming you'll be using longer travel forks at a minimum and maybe a lengthened swingarm, so those will have a much bigger effect on your geometry than your wheel sizes.

Here's some reading for you:
http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/RakeEx/RakeEx.htm
got it! ill be doing some reading!ill probaby run a GS for if i can dig one up. we have a few of the lower halfs (yellow), but i havent found any springs or upper tubes, but i havent looked that hard. were slim on GS stuff. if not, ill go with a suz dr or DRZ front end. not sure on the rear, that will depend on which rear set up I go with. will a dual shock or mono shock swing arm be easier to lengther? does any bike use an already longer swingarm? what about a g/s swing arm? basically is there a longer swing arm i can bolt in? or do they all require making?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
basically is there a longer swing arm i can bolt in? or do they all require making?
Nope, there's no off-the-shelf solution there. Gonna need to cut and weld for a longer swingarm.

Just curious, where do you work that has 20 monolever final drives on the shelf? Got a 3 lug 32:10 you want to sell?

Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #26
acousticrawk OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Quote:
Nope, there's no off-the-shelf solution there. Gonna need to cut and weld for a longer swingarm.

Just curious, where do you work that has 20 monolever final drives on the shelf? Got a 3 lug 32:10 you want to sell?
RePsycle BMW Parts. Ill check. shoot me a PM so we dont get too off topic.

BTW, I found a 4 lug, spoke rear wheel. its a factory 17. its an edge spoke, so itd be hard to have it relaced for 18". I took a pic. ill upload it when I can.

acousticrawk screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 03:44 PM
acousticrawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #27
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
RePsycle BMW Parts. Ill check. shoot me a PM so we dont get too off topic.

BTW, I found a 4 lug, spoke rear wheel. its a factory 17. its an edge spoke, so itd be hard to have it relaced for 18". I took a pic. ill upload it when I can.
That'd be off a R100GS or R - for a paralever final drive.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #28
acousticrawk OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Quote:
That'd be off a R100GS or R - for a paralever final drive.
I think your right. Our BMW master mechanic pulled the wheel and final drive to put on his r80st. He says it should all bolt right up. It looks like a mono lever drive on his bench, ill get a pic Thursday of the drive and upload them both.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #29
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
I think your right. Our BMW master mechanic pulled the wheel and final drive to put on his r80st. He says it should all bolt right up. It looks like a mono lever drive on his bench, ill get a pic Thursday of the drive and upload them both.
Don't think so. You need to machine down the center of the hub to fit on a monolever final drive. Doable, but not a quick and easy bolt-up.

Go look at part 4 here:
http://www.stephenbottcher.net/BMW/paraconv.htm

Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #30
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
For me the biggest advantage of the Paralever is the cross-spoked wheels which run tubeless tires.

Reason enough to want a Paralever over a Monolever.

Anyone has a link to a R1100/R1150 Paralever swap onto a Paralever R100X?
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote