Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #31
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazekyle View Post
I'd imagine liquids would maintain too much inertia as the tire changes speeds, though how much that would affect handling at such small weights I wouldn't really know. Slosh around some water in a cup and see how long it takes to come to a rest. Then do the same with some small BB's or such.

On a similar vein, you have to take into account fluid viscosity. A thicker fluid would take longer to redistribute itself, compounding intertial issues.

Another issue with liquids is potential for evaporation. Even if you could assume your tube/tire had a 100% gas seal, you'd still lose vapor with every check or change in air pressure. Imagine having to top off your "tire fluids" when you air up your tire. Or letting air out of your tire and getting sprayed in the face. Fluids also tend to expand more with heat than solids, and remember that the next matter state beyond fluid is gas. Internal tire temps can get *hot*, so something like water would boil in your tires (though the tire pressure would probably prevent that -- same concept as a pressure cooker).

Then there's also the issue with possible degredation of the tire carcass or tube. A whole bunch of fluids would eat away/weaken/degrade the tire with constant months to years of exposure.

I'm sure there's a way to solve the above issues -- perhaps a dedicated, 100% gas tight "fluid balancing channel" that combos with a safe ultra low viscoscity fluid and runs in a dedicated channel inside the tire. Of course by this point you've kidna overcomplicated the tire to the point you might as well use something like dynabeads.
Chicks must really dig you.

Seriously though, you bring up some interesting points. I was going to use dynabeads once several years ago but cheaped out and used...

Yep, my son's airsoft pellets. They seemed to work just fine but at my next tire change I elected to just balance the wheel by itself and mount the tire without the beads. The ride was just as smooth as before and that is what I have been doing ever since. Some tires don't even have the traditional spot to mark the light side anymore and I believe that tire technology has gotten to where they are balanced enough to not need weights in most cases.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #32
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Well it looks like we got another full blown bead thread going on... Like I posted earlier I've used them for ~ 10 years & work fine. I even use them over with a few escaping to the shop floor. Will they reproduce?
My thoughts: Yes many if not most new bike tires are close to good balance as they come.
2nd, on a perfectly balanced bare rim a new tire will wear unevenly & if properly balanced it has to be rebalanced if you want to keep that condition.
3rd, If you rotate the rim ,placing the valve at bottom & tap the stem with the gauge or a screwdriver, no beads will get into the schrader valve.
4th, a puff of air from hose will blow any (from trying to escape) of them away from the stem then you can actually do a correct air check rather than a worry wort check.
5th,yes an old style lead balance is easy to do but lead weights are not only illegal in some states they are also whats available most other places
6th-I am not a tree hugger,Sierra club member,etc-BUT! lead is really bad for the environment!!!!!!!!!! Google lead in the environment, lead wheel weights & so on & you'll see that there are jillions of pounds of them being ground up on the pavement everyday. Subaru is one of the leaders in the move away from lead wheel weights. beads do the job w/o introducing lead into groundwater & that's good , no matter where you are on the other stuff.
Lastly, I have read many of the other bead threads & several ADV's have used air gun soft pellets & said they work well. My approach of recent is to rotate the tire on the rim until in or close to balanced, then add beads to maintain that balance until tire is worn out. Mine all go as long as you can expect & are smooth.
kantuckid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #33
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
#1 or #2 Glass Beads for metal finishing are under $40 for a 25# bag locally.

jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #34
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
When I recover my dynabeads they are undamaged as they are ceramic. They do acquire some black color from the many revolutions inside the tire and tire inner liner contact but are still round. A glass bead is not as hard as a ceramic bead so I don't know if they'd survive inside a tire? Maybe the same question for a soft pellet too?
kantuckid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #35
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
anyone tried metal airsoft BBs, like the .2 gram ones. I know that you can get those from Sports Chalet for about $8. I'm just wondering if they would affect tire wear on the outside or inside of the tire any more than ceramic bearings. I know that ceramic dissipates heat better than metal, but I'm not Rossi and I rarely go over 90mph. Just looking to correct a crappy tire balance that the dealership left me with.

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #36
DiasDePlaya OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
No one tried with something more simple like sugar? I think that anything will work.

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #37
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,634
Bad idea, little bit of moisture and the sugar turn into one ball. Dyna beads are ceramic and I've still seen them clumped together when I changed tires.
wos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #38
DiasDePlaya OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by wos View Post
Bad idea, little bit of moisture and the sugar turn into one ball. Dyna beads are ceramic and I've still seen them clumped together when I changed tires.
With the vibration level inside a tire I think is really difficult to form a sugar ball with any moisture level.

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #39
Str8lin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
All the elements and substances have been tried........... stay with the ceramic beads. I have used and recycled 3-4 ounces through a number of tire changes. Toss those discolored or distorted, put in a few new. Used in a front Tourance for over 8000 miles and up to 118 deg. ambient, tire heat much higher and no problems. They do work!! It is a bit more of a challenge to perceive a better balance on a TKC, Karoo or such.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #40
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
I have used Dynabeads on my Honda Sabre after having a hard time balancing the tires using normal methods . They did the trick . Seeing the pictures of beads stuck in the valve stem make me wonder how you could make that happen even if you were trying . My first use of the beads were on my motorhome . I had payed quite a little money for 3 tries at having the tires balanced for an intermittent balance problem . I finally ordered the recommended amount of beads ( a shit pot full) ! This was after talking to a long haul trucking buddy who swore by them . I would say on the motorhome there was about a 80% improvement . Normally I have tires balanced when I get new tires mounted , but for trouble tires I will go right back to beads . Note ; I only have tubeless tires . Do not think I would use them on tube type . I also did not use any special valve stems and didn't have any problems .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #41
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
With the vibration level inside a tire I think is really difficult to form a sugar ball with any moisture level.
Have you ever seen how jawbreakers are made?
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #42
Rocks58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Gramp-Z you said you wouldn't use them in a tubed tire.

Any other thoughts/experiences using dynabeads inside a tube?

If changing a tube in the field, is it a fairly simple task to pour in the beads or is this something left to do in the shop?
Rocks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #43
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks58 View Post
Gramp-Z you said you wouldn't use them in a tubed tire.

Any other thoughts/experiences using dynabeads inside a tube?

If changing a tube in the field, is it a fairly simple task to pour in the beads or is this something left to do in the shop?
My thoughts are that if you buy into the Dynabeads working on a tubeless tire, I see no plausible reason why they wouldn't work on a tubed tire, given the explanation of how they work.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #44
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
My thoughts are that if you buy into the Dynabeads working on a tubeless tire, I see no plausible reason why they wouldn't work on a tubed tire, given the explanation of how they work.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Big assumption they work......
showkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #45
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I recently put airsoft BB's in my imbalanced front tire and it smoothed it out. The only glitch is that I get a slight pulsating at around 45 mph. I suspect that is the speed in which the tire's imbalance becomes noticeable but the spinning force isn't strong enough to move the beads into place. Not surprisingly, things become smoother the faster you go. Overall, I'm happy with the results.

Balancing rings in washing machines works very well, so I knew the concept was there for beads to work. I was concerned about bumps in the road, braking, acceleration, etc, but these things haven't seem to be an issue for me.