User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
UtahSooner OP
awagnon

Oddometer: 82
Galfer brake hose question

I'm planning on replacing the brake hoses on my 2004 1150GS (with ABS) using Galfer brake lines. I previously had a bad experience with Spiegler, so decided to give Galfer a try. Anyway, Galfer has a kit for the 1999 - 2002 1150GS with ABS (kit D265-5). When I asked if the kit would work on the 2004 model they said no and they would have to custom make a kit. So, does anyone know if the brake hoses on the 2004 GS with ABS are different from the 1999 - 2002 models?

Also, the OEM brake lines on the bike look like rubber. I thought I read somewhere that the 2004 GSA had stainless steel brake lines, but the regular 2004 GS still had rubber lines. Is this correct?

Any thoughts appreciated.

-Al
Boxer bikes, boxer dogs, and letterboxing.
UtahSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
def
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,934
If you haven't already done so, I would speak to these folks. They know your brakes.

http://www.cyclebrakes.com/html/galfer_brake_lines.html
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
pcwirepro
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Sweet! Keep us posted

Same state, same bike, same winter project. I hope you will keep us posted. Do you have servo brakes?
pcwirepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Hi Al,
Yes the 2003 up 1150GS with BMW calipers and servo brakes uses different hoses than the 1999-2002 with non-servo (ABS II). If Galfer doesn't offer an off the shelf solution for you than take another look at Spiegler. OEM 1150 brake hoses are rubber, clutch hose is steel braid. Obvious difference in diameter.

btw, pull back the outer sheath on the clutch hose to get it off the slave banjo. Probably rusted banjo but maybe can save it.

my observations w/ galfer 1100 kit:
The quality fit and finish not close to Spiegler. Spiegler uses anodized alloy fittings that don't rust. Galfer uses steel fittings that rust. Galfer 1100 kit used an unacceptable fitting adapter at the front frame. Plastic overlay left steel braid exposed. No tech support or warranty.

1999-2002 Galfer kit:
ugly integrated tee, all the quality issues of the 1100 kit. tee rubs on fork tube. not recommended unless sig less cost than Spiegler

Spiegler 1150 clutch line:
Ordered in black =2" over. Great fit and quality.
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
UtahSooner OP
awagnon

Thanks for the replies. Yes, PCWIREPRO, the bike has servo brakes.

Thanks, Vintagerider, for your insight. My bad experience with Spiegler was with the aluminum banjo fittings. The fitting on the brake caliper end of the rear brake hose snapped off at the hose during installation on my RT. Didn't seem to be any undue stress on it, but the fitting just seemed flimsy. Spiegler replaced it free, but it delayed getting the bike back on the road by a few days and I worry about other fittings failing. They did fit well and looked nice.

I have had the steel clutch banjo fitting rust out on my RT where the lower end of the hose attaches to the slave cylinder. Bad design the way the rubber sleeve holds water against the steel fitting. It doesn't look like a problem on the GS, but I'll double check it to be sure.

I guess I'll give Spiegler another try. Maybe my experience was a fluke. I hope there is no problem with aluminum banjo fittings hooked to steel master cylinders and calipers. I guess they are somewhat isolated by the crush washer, but is that enough?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Sounds dangerous! There must have been an error crimping by Spiegler. I think this is rare. Anyone else have a broken Speigler fitting?

I'd inquire about the tee fitting. The original Spieg tees are nice anodized aluminum affairs that you assemble. But they are a bit harder to bleed than the mini-steel ones Galfer uses.

Kits can change. Try to get a photo of the actual kit. Should be no issue with electrolysis if that is what you are getting at. They supply aluminum banjo gaskets which are required. I think banjo bolts are extra whereas they used to be included with Galfer.

What is the cost/quality compared with what Def suggested?

The other things to consider are +1 or +2 over and color. The clear tend to look shabby sooner. Going too much over can be a problem. With any of them be sure not to over-torque the banjos.
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,428
Put Spiegler on numerous models and no problems whatsoever. Great product and tech support.
I recommend this company.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
+1. I tried going the Galfer route, but found that they won't deal with me directly, only through a dealer. Wanted my lines +2 to accomodate risers and a couple custom lines for another bike, but gave up after talking to 3 of their clueless dealers. Called Spiegler, got somebody that knew what they were doing right away, and I had the stuff in hand in a week and a half. All worked great. I think your bad line from Spiegler was just a fluke, could just as easily have happened with a Galfer and it would probably have been a bigger hassle getting them to replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
Put Spiegler on numerous models and no problems whatsoever. Great product and tech support.
I recommend this company.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
UtahSooner OP
awagnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukaWai View Post
+1. I tried going the Galfer route, but found that they won't deal with me directly, only through a dealer. Wanted my lines +2 to accomodate risers and a couple custom lines for another bike, but gave up after talking to 3 of their clueless dealers. Called Spiegler, got somebody that knew what they were doing right away, and I had the stuff in hand in a week and a half. All worked great. I think your bad line from Spiegler was just a fluke, could just as easily have happened with a Galfer and it would probably have been a bigger hassle getting them to replace it.
Thanks for all the replies. So far, I haven't been able to find out from Galfer or any of their dealers what kit will fit the 2004 GS. They keep talking about a custom made set of hoses. My experience with Spiegler was good except for the broken fitting. I ordered directly from them and they were more than willing to replace the broken hose. It just delayed getting the bike back on the road. I was under the impression Galfer uses stainless steel banjo fittings, but I agree, based on my current dealings with them, they would be hard to get a problem resolved.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
JoeInHNL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
My experience with the D265-5 kit is that it will not fit 2002 models with ABS and EVO brakes (anything built starting 11/2001). The brake lines are different lengths and the bend angles on the fittings are different. Fortunately I compared old to new before I disassembled my brakes.

The retailer (SoloMoto) was good about the return. Even they had trouble getting in touch with Galfer. To top things off, Galfer called me to talk about my issues at 9:30 Saturday AM (their time), 6:30 AM for me. I guess they did not bother to check where an 808 area code was located. I screened their call but it still woke me up earlier than I would like on a Saturday.

Aloha, Joe
JoeInHNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
OHRider
BMWMOA, BMWRA, AMA (Life)

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
If you haven't already done so, I would speak to these folks. They know your brakes.

http://www.cyclebrakes.com/html/galfer_brake_lines.html
+1 with Cycle Brakes

Order a set for my 01GS had the top line 3" longer. Installed no problem.
01 R1150GS
00 R1100RT
07 KLR650
84 RZ350
73 R75\5 LWB
BMWMOA. BMWRA, AirHead, AMA (Life)
OHRider is offline   Reply With Quote