ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #16
Kap
Single Track Scalpel

Oddometer: 329
Go to AAA. Put your bike in lifted pick up truck and don't bring a ramp or bike stand. Wait for a woman in a skirt and high heels to help you. When she goes outside to check your emmissions sticker and odometer she won't climb into the truck. You just tell her that you'll read whatever she needs. Pretend your looking at an odometer with over 7500 miles on it, then read a sticker from your rear fender that says approved for California highway use. When she asks if engine number is on sticker tell her it's scratched and you'll read number from motor.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #17
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
In some of the bigger places they have an outside person to do all the inspections.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,071
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
What's the deal with this? Can it work or not?
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #20
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
What's the deal with this? Can it work or not?

YES, it can be done

Unless it's a mistake, which does happen all the time. So guys keep trying, some get them. And some get them and then they get taken away. LOL.
Ive' never heard of ANY being taken back

Also, the light certification thing is easly gotten form CHIP or even an authorized dealer/light inspector. It's just an affidavit you file with the title application.
go to ur local bike shop-they donot need to be authorized! just have them sign the form!!!
statement of facts : http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf
Iv'e been signing them off for the last 20 years w/no problems-hell, u can fill it out urself and sign it-make up ur own motorcycle shop name!!!!

***Tuned for a broad power band with the torque curve set just under the wheel spin threshold!*****
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #21
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap View Post
Go to AAA. Put your bike in lifted pick up truck and don't bring a ramp or bike stand. Wait for a woman in a skirt and high heels to help you. When she goes outside to check your emmissions sticker and odometer she won't climb into the truck. You just tell her that you'll read whatever she needs. Pretend your looking at an odometer with over 7500 miles on it, then read a sticker from your rear fender that says approved for California highway use. When she asks if engine number is on sticker tell her it's scratched and you'll read number from motor.
Nice! Actually, the lady at my DMV said they are not allowed to climb in a truck or help unload it. You must do it. Then she said not to tell anyone, and climbed into the truck. It was a 3-wheeler, and I was after a green sticker (off road only). The computer would not let her register a 3-wheeler for some reason, so she said "what a bunch of nonsense", and registered it as a home built buggy. We have an unusually sensible bunch of folks at our DMV.

Quote:
Originally posted by HAPPYTRAILSINC

Unless it's a mistake, which does happen all the time. So guys keep trying, some get them. And some get them and then they get taken away. LOL.
Ive' never heard of ANY being taken back
I have heard the entire California registration being pulled a full year after purchase from a dealership. A friend of mine ordered a Ducati sportbike from a SF Bay Area dealership, and they sourced it from Oregon. After adding lots of carbon fiber, extended swing arm, and a bunch of other ugly show bike stuff, the CA DMV wrote him a letter requiring him to return it to the dealership because it wasn't CA smog certified. He had already sold off the OEM parts, so to get his full purchase price back, the bike had to be complete. He was pissed. I bet the shop in Oregon was surprised, though.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #22
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,309
your bike needs the EPA sticker on the frame. if it doesn't. you're fucked. i know.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #23
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
your bike needs the EPA sticker on the frame. if it doesn't. you're fucked. i know.
A talented guy like you shouldn't have a problem printing up a foil sticker as needed.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #24
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,097
Simply amazing...

I know of several KTMs that were plated in the 2002 to 2005 range that were recalled. Meaning the VINs were run for renewal and flagged as non-compliant. Of course they were...

The deal was a DMV office that could be "manipulated" various ways but eventually the computer caught it.

Anyway, the renewal notice was a "surrender your plate notice" or show compliance (the magic sticker).

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #25
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
CARB compliant EPA sticker

Being in the graphics business it wasn't very difficult to create a 'factory' epa sticker. Some of the KTM's were simply a silver paper sticker taped over with clear vinyl. They're not very creative.

But alas, if you get caught it's a felony. I decided it wasn't worth it for a silly motorbike. Just buy one that comes with a plate.

I just don't know how thorough CARB audits the registrations. They have a list of years and models that were 'approved' for hiway use, and if it's not on there it's cannot be issued a plate.

DMV are a bunch of idiots, so it's possible to get anything plated. And they don't always 'catch' them later and rescind. There are a LOT of bikes around with plates that weren't supposed to get them.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #26
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
You guys are funny. Plates always get recalled from a friend of a friend. Then the rest of you all ride bikes that weren't supposed to be "platable". Something stinks but I like the smell.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #27
Closet Doctor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I recently purchased a 2010 ktm 450 six days edition. The regular version of this bike came with a green sticker, but mine came with a red. The vin sticker says "competition only" but the vin numbers indicate it should be green. The DMV was willing to do more research but it would come down to the visual inspection, so I didn't follow through with it.
In my research, I found out that you can get a plate for a green sticker bike. It must have working lights and signals and be equipped with a speedo if the bike originally had a speedo. After proper inspections, the bike will be dual registered with a plate and a green sticker. I rode with a guy that has done 2 this way, and was riding a crf 450x that was plated and compliant.

More info can be has here http://www.bajadesigns.com/docs/tech...ion_packet.pdf

A bike can also be registered as a special construction, but I have been told that California only allows 1 per person per lifetime.
Closet Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #28
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 13,964
it cant be done ...let it go
Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #29
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
it cant be done ...let it go
End of thread, finally. Thisis exactly right. Remember Joe Racer in San Jose? Got many bikes plated using every possible permutation you can imagine. I think every plate is pulled now.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #30
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Remember Joe Racer in San Jose? Got many bikes plated using every possible permutation you can imagine. I think every plate is pulled now.
While I agree that it's pert-near impossible to do it legally and properly without the proper emissions sticker, I'm tired of hearing anecdotal statements like: "I think every plate is pulled now."

Got proof?
'04 R1150RTP "cop motor, cop suspension.."
'00 XR650R Dual Sport "Lil' Mule"
'75 RL250
'01 TTR90
'01 PW50
Conti TKC80 tire swing

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.

"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote