ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
With the cost of GPS's getting higher and higher with less and less features, I sure hope my old 2730 and 60CX last a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,113
NO way will I ever give Garmin another dime after the horrible job they did on the 660/665... especially now hearing that the 350 is really no better. My biggest beef is the lack of map detail -- the pixel-doubling that they DON'T do on the car units.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
NO way will I ever give Garmin another dime after the horrible job they did on the 660/665... especially now hearing that the 350 is really no better. My biggest beef is the lack of map detail -- the pixel-doubling that they DON'T do on the car units.

Rob
What does your remark about pixel doubling mean?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
What does your remark about pixel doubling mean?
It's now their maps are rendered on the Zumos. If you put a Nuvi and a Zumo side by side at the same zoom level, you have 4x the detail on the Nuvi. Both units have the exact same resolution -- 480x272, but they "pixel double" the maps so it effectively cuts the resolution in half (in each direction), resulting in it basically being 240x166. My suspicion is this was done for "readability" but at the expense of detail. Another STUPID idea by people who claim to be making us a motorcycle-specific GPS but are instead dumbing it down and making it so the 70+ year-old Goldwing riders can still read it.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:24 AM   #20
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
It's now their maps are rendered on the Zumos. If you put a Nuvi and a Zumo side by side at the same zoom level, you have 4x the detail on the Nuvi. Both units have the exact same resolution -- 480x272, but they "pixel double" the maps so it effectively cuts the resolution in half (in each direction), resulting in it basically being 240x166. My suspicion is this was done for "readability" but at the expense of detail. Another STUPID idea by people who claim to be making us a motorcycle-specific GPS but are instead dumbing it down and making it so the 70+ year-old Goldwing riders can still read it.

Rob
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #21
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 522
I have had a 550 for a long time and it has never failed me. Hopefully it will continue for many years to come.

There is an emerging trend among GPS manufacturers to stream pop-up ads to the cheaper GPS devices. The revenue generated by the pop-up ads would in effect subsidize the cost of the GPS unit, making them cheaper for the consumer to buy.

The new Zumos are expensive especially when compared to in-car units or free services that are available on the iPhone and other smartphones. I for one would rather pay up for a GPS device that will NEVER display any pop-up ads than have to look at ads for McDonald's restaurants or Mobil stations every time I am within a few miles of one.

If that ever happens with my Zumo, I'll go back to paper maps.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #22
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcero View Post
I have had a 550 for a long time and it has never failed me. Hopefully it will continue for many years to come.

There is an emerging trend among GPS manufacturers to stream pop-up ads to the cheaper GPS devices. The revenue generated by the pop-up ads would in effect subsidize the cost of the GPS unit, making them cheaper for the consumer to buy.

The new Zumos are expensive especially when compared to in-car units or free services that are available on the iPhone and other smartphones. I for one would rather pay up for a GPS device that will NEVER display any pop-up ads than have to look at ads for McDonald's restaurants or Mobil stations every time I am within a few miles of one.

I can imagine few things worse than being subjected to advertising on a navigation device.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #23
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcero View Post

I have only heard of ads on units that offer lifetime free traffic updates. Garmin has to pay a license fee for that data, so they are going to recover that one way or another. People want cheap hardware, then Ads are the price they pay for the ongoing data fee.

The alternative is that you buy a unit like the Zumo 550 and get bent over every month by XM for their Traffic/Weather data.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
I had a Zumo 450 years ago and sold it a couple months later. As others have complained, not enough detail when you zoom in. My other niggles were that I always seemed to ride faster than the unit would update, often missing roads and exits.

I will not buy another GPS until they make them update faster than even the 660/665 and start making screens larger. I don't think having to first find the unit, then spend time focusing on it to interpret it is safe while riding. Make a 6" screen at least so it's easier to glance at it and immediately understand whats on the screen. 7" would be even better.

Paper maps from AAA and detailed printouts from Google maps rule! Besides, I decided I really don't need to know where I am every 20 ft for hours on end. Just needed to know where to turn when I arrived at point B. Paper works just fine.

Plus you can wipe your ass with them at the road side rest stops that are out of TP. You only get one wipe with a $700 GPS.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #25
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
I decided I really don't need to know where I am every 20 ft for hours on end. Just needed to know where to turn when I arrived at point B.
Uhhh same here, that's why they have turn by turn voice prompts. I never even have to look at the GPS. Even on my Busa I've never outrun the prompts on my 550.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #26
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
I've had my Garmin 660 for a little over a year now. For the most part it does ok. The MP3 player and SD card have not been friends on occasion and the unit has been returned once (although it didn't fix the problem). Routing instruction are okay as long as there are decent stretched between instructions; but sometime it has no idea where it is taking you. I too rarely ever look at the screen (only when its gotten me lost). Screen updates are too slow. For large custom routes, the number of waypoints and routes is far too limited. For adventure riders who want to plan detailed routes this is not the unit. Even routes planned on the awful Basecamp software have a habit of recalculating whe uploaded to the unit. Aaarrrgggghhhh! I have used it in non stop rain for days on end and no signs of leaks (so at least one positive).

If you want to use it as an everyday GPS for getting from A-B, it'll do. For anything else, make sure you have a Montana, Oregon, Colorado or 60CSx. It does not even have sunrise/sunset times. As for the price - its stupidly expensive. $300 more than their top of the range nuvi 3590 which has a better feature set, not to mention hardware specs.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #27
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
I've had my Garmin 660 for a little over a year now. For the most part it does ok. The MP3 player and SD card have not been friends on occasion and the unit has been returned once (although it didn't fix the problem). Routing instruction are okay as long as there are decent stretched between instructions; but sometime it has no idea where it is taking you. I too rarely ever look at the screen (only when its gotten me lost). Screen updates are too slow. For large custom routes, the number of waypoints and routes is far too limited. For adventure riders who want to plan detailed routes this is not the unit. Even routes planned on the awful Basecamp software have a habit of recalculating whe uploaded to the unit. Aaarrrgggghhhh! I have used it in non stop rain for days on end and no signs of leaks (so at least one positive).

If you want to use it as an everyday GPS for getting from A-B, it'll do. For anything else, make sure you have a Montana, Oregon, Colorado or 60CSx. It does not even have sunrise/sunset times. As for the price - its stupidly expensive. $300 more than their top of the range nuvi 3590 which has a better feature set, not to mention hardware specs.
I am confused. You said you have a 660, but this thread is about Garmin Zumo 350LM?
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #28
bryanherron
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
I had a Zumo 450 years ago!
DUDE YOU ARE WAY OLD!!! Or possibly a time traveler?!?!

LOL
Couldn't resist
bryanherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #29
johnalex
Rider of rides.

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post

Is anyone using a Garmin 3597 or 3790 and just plan on keeping it dry when needed?
98 VFR - 133,000 miles
89 BMW R100GS - in Mexico
johnalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #30
NCGS
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 1,185
Picked up a 350LM last week. Major Kudos to G- at GPSCity. He helped hook me up, and he saved me some significant money.

I'd buy from him again, and I will recommend him to friends looking for a m/c specific GPS.

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.
NCGS is offline   Reply With Quote