User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #286
snaert
visit www.rvsz.ch

Oddometer: 7
Klim Badlands leaking

I own a Badlands pro suit. It's a great gear except one major problem: My jacket is leaking at the upper vent zippers on the sleeves. Klim support was not very helpful til now. My first jacket was replaced by a new one. The second one (still leaking on my test rides) was tested by Klim and found to be in good order and shipped back. In their oppinion the reason for the leakage are the zippers which were not completely parked in the garages. So I did another test ride with completly closed zippers but still the same result. Does anyone experience the same?
snaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #287
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
got mine last week. Coming from a traverse in Large, went with a medium in the badlands. ( 5'10, 170) got the traverse in large to allow my pressure suit to fit under it, no intention of wearing it under the badlands.
Fit is great for the most part. sleves are pretty narrow, and the wrist area is small enough that it makes getting my gauntlet clozes dificult to get under the jacket(alpinestars tech road)
Very form fitting, comfortable with a light fleece and my gerbings liner underneath. length is ideal(33" inseam) Pads stay in place really well, i guess the reason the sleves fit so well.
TONS of pockets, tons of vents. All of the zippers appear to allow drafts in, the pit zip appears to be the worst. Rode in a 40 degree rain yesterday, dry as a bone!
Overall im pretty pleased with the jacket!
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #288
raiffel
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi all!

To illustrate what snaert means in is above post a few pics to show the problem. Snaert and myself bought both the Badlands suit for an extended journey. The first two jackets leakt in both ellbows crouches. So we sent them back to Klim and they replaced it without a hassel. The second set of jackets leak at the exact same location -> the upper vents on the sleeves. So like told by snaert we send them back and Klim tested them and found they were waterproof and send them back. Those pics are with the second jacket (tested by Klim and found to be waterproof) after 50 min of riding trough medium-heavy rain:

The correct closed zipper

Wet ellbow

What seams the problem.... Klim uses waterresistant zippers on all their vents and works with flaps to cover them and insure waterprofness. The problem with the upper vent on the sleeve is that will driving the air pushes the flap up (which is a good thing when you wanna vent) but in rain the only waterresistant zipper gets the full force of wind and rain. And thats will driving on a naked bike (I drive an Yamaha XT660R) quiet a lot. The problem could be solved by ad an additional velcrostrap to hold the copverflap down...

An other really annoying detail in my opinion is the the quite weak waterresistants on the front pockets. I am well aware that Klim does not claim them to be waterproof but highly waterresistant. But having a sea of water in your frontpocket after riding in rain is just annoying and makes the pocket in my opinion usless.

Pool of water

So after all I am not that impressed by Klim but wil probably keep the gear because there are no real alternativs.

Cheers Raiffel
raiffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #289
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,813
Thanks Raiffel!!! Great photos, great info.

I am always amazed how people have different experiences with gear, like jackets and pants. Some people ride in the rain and stay dry as a bone, and some have leaks. I suppose it has to do with the variety of people, and riding styles, and even the bikes, and riding position, etcetera.

Curiouser and curiouser.

To all, I appreciate any and all info, positive or negative.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #290
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I am always amazed how people have different experiences with gear, like jackets and pants. Some people ride in the rain and stay dry as a bone, and some have leaks. I suppose it has to do with the variety of people, and riding styles, and even the bikes, and riding position, etcetera.
One man's rain is another man's drizzle? I think a lot of it has to do with the bike too. With a large fairing, you'll be far more protected than on a naked bike. But Raiffel's report points to something I've been complaining about all along, with Klim and Olympia . . . waterproof zipper covers should be placed to allow air to flow over them, not under them. The zipper flap seam is on the wrong side. They got it right on the pants, but why not the jacket?

Waterproof is the main reason people buy this gear, venting is secondary. I certainly hope there is some variance in these jackets, because if mine leaks like that, I will want a full refund under their "not fully satisfied" promise. Whether there is anything comparable out there or not, I'm not keeping a $1000 jacket that can't fulfill the promise of being waterproof. . . I'd keep using my waterproof shell until something shows up.

Raiffel, have you submitted a review on the Klim website about the leaking problem? I'm sure that would get their attention and I'd be interested to see how impartial they are about censoring the reviews.

V-Stormer screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 08:39 AM
V-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #291
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Stormer View Post
One man's rain is another man's drizzle? I think a lot of it has to do with the bike too. With a large fairing, you'll be far more protected than on a naked bike. But Raiffel's report points to something I've been complaining about all along, with Klim and Olympia . . . waterproof zipper covers should be placed to allow air to flow over them, not under them. The zipper flap seam is on the wrong side. They got it right on the pants, but why not the jacket?

Waterproof is the main reason people buy this gear, venting is secondary. I certainly hope there is some variance in these jackets, because if mine leaks like that, I will want a full refund under their "not fully satisfied" promise. Whether there is anything comparable out there or not, I'm not keeping a $1000 jacket that can't fulfill the promise of being waterproof. . . I'd keep using my waterproof shell until something shows up.
I agree with you 100%. I have a fully-faired FJR, so I think I'm probably going to be happy with a Klim Badlands.

But I'm with you, if the jacket leaks, I'll return it. The whole point of me buying a very expensive jacket is to reduce the amount of stuff I have to carry on a trip, such as a separate rainsuit.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #292
snaert
visit www.rvsz.ch

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
I certainly hope there is some variance in these jackets, because if mine leaks like that, I will want a full refund under their "not fully satisfied" promise. Whether there is anything comparable out there or not, I'm not keeping a $1000 jacket that can't fulfill the promise of being waterproof. . . I'd keep using my waterproof shell until something shows up.
Since raiffel and I have tested 4 different badland jackets in total and all of them were leaking at the exactely same spot chances are quite low that it has to do something with variances of the jackets (though I still hope this is the case).
I think it has to do a lot with the bike you drive. Unfortunately the windshield of my XT660Z does not protect shoulders and arms from the rain.
I'm really curious if there is someone driving a bike similar to ours not having this leakage...

snaert screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 10:39 AM
snaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #293
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaert View Post
Since raiffel and I have tested 4 different badland jackets in total and all of them were leaking at the exactely same spot chances are quite low that it has to do something with variances of the jackets (though I still hope this is the case).
I think it has to do a lot with the bike you drive. Unfortunately the windshield of my XT660Z does not protect shoulders and arms from the rain.
I'm really curious if there is someone driving a bike similar to ours not having this leakage...
Considering these are jackets designed for dual-sport riders, that would be a serious design flaw. Most dual-sport bikes don't have any fairing or windscreen and those that do are mimimal compared to well-faired touring bikes. I ride a DR350 and a R1200GS and neither has much protection from the enslaught of wind and rain. Dual-sport involves a lot of standing as well, which puts your shoulders directly in the air stream.

If this is a design flaw, I'd like to see Klim step up to the challenge and provide a warranted solution for those that are experincing it. That would put them head and shoulders above the competition and make spending the big bucks for their gear worth it. Pretending there isn't a problem is just going to bite them in the long run in this day and age of instant and global communication. Online customer reviews are a big part of the purchase decision these days.

V-Stormer screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 08:04 AM
Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #294
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,619
KTM 640 here.
No such problems here.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #295
mxbulldog
Braaaap!

Oddometer: 117
F800Gs here. Wore my badlands for a 10000km trip to Inuvik and back this summer and the only leaks I had were when I forgot to do up the zippers all of the way. Great piece of kit, in my opinion. Wore it from 4C up to 35C and was comfortable in all of it. Put my heated vest on one day when it was cold and raining but shut it down again right away because I was too warm. Warm, dry, decently cool when it needs to be. Worth every dime to me.
mxbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #296
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Good to hear some positive reports. And both bikes are not faired. I assume you were both in some heavy rainfall during this time?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #297
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiffel View Post
Hi all!

To illustrate what snaert means in is above post a few pics to show the problem. Snaert and myself bought both the Badlands suit for an extended journey. The first two jackets leakt in both ellbows crouches. So we sent them back to Klim and they replaced it without a hassel. The second set of jackets leak at the exact same location -> the upper vents on the sleeves. So like told by snaert we send them back and Klim tested them and found they were waterproof and send them back. Those pics are with the second jacket (tested by Klim and found to be waterproof) after 50 min of riding trough medium-heavy rain:

So after all I am not that impressed by Klim but wil probably keep the gear because there are no real alternativs.

Cheers Raiffel
I called it. I had the same issue with my latitude. The storm flap basically billows and pulls the zipper tape apart letting water in.

If you can, try wearing the bicep straps the WRONG way around like this guy is on his left arm. If klim is telling you the fabric and seams are good, then you will simply need to keep them shielded. Sucks to have to wear it the wrong way though.

Let me know if it works for you.

Edit: If it keeps giving you issues, contact W.L. Gore and they will make it right so long as you haven't crashed in them
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #298
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
I called it. I had the same issue with my latitude. The storm flap basically billows and pulls the zipper tape apart letting water in
If you can, try wearing the bicep straps the WRONG way around like this guy is on his left arm. Let me know if it works for you.
Edit: If it keeps giving you issues, contact W.L. Gore and they will make it right so long as you haven't crashed in them
If "calling it" is important to you, I for one would credit you that, Keiji.

But it supports my gripe, the flaps were designed the wrong way around (like they were on my Olympia AST). I'm not noticing the billowing quite yet as my jacket is still very stiff being that it's new. Thanks for the workaround tip of wearing the strap the other way around and I suppose that would only have to be done in a heavy rain at high speeds. Certainly worth a shot if I experience the problem.

What did W. L. Gore do to make it right? Did they use a different water resistant zipper?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #299
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
If "calling it" is important to you, I for one would credit you that, Keiji.

But it supports my gripe, the flaps were designed the wrong way around (like they were on my Olympia AST). I'm not noticing the billowing quite yet as my jacket is still very stiff being that it's new. Thanks for the workaround tip of wearing the strap the other way around and I suppose that would only have to be done in a heavy rain at high speeds. Certainly worth a shot if I experience the problem.

What did W. L. Gore do to make it right? Did they use a different water resistant zipper?
They either give you your money back or they buy you a replacement... Not necessarily from the same brand though as they understand your experience with one brand may be tarnished
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #300
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Guys, whats the right sizing again in Klim ?? I read their sizing table twice but still think their sizing is two sizes up ! I usually wear 60 jacket (american 50) and 38-40 trousers (240lb). And the Klim sizing shows: XL instead of usual XXXL Is that really true sizing ? I got no Klim dealer in my country so I'd rather get it right when ordering abroad. Pls help.
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote