Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #16
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,407
I would start at the tank. Remove it and clean it of old fuel after you remove the pump plate.

Next, inspect and replace the likely cracked rubber fuel lines making sure you use replacement lines that are submersible in gasoline (SAE 30R10 rating).

Next, replace the fuel filter.

Next, blow out all the vent lines noting their connections (don't reconnect wrong).

Refit the tank and fill with fresh fuel to which you add some fuel system cleaner (Techron is used by boxer owners). Energize the pump and determine if you have pressure at the injectors (43PSI).

Clean the injectors of old fuel and varnish. Replace the filter screens in the injector inlets. Refit the injectors insuring that the o-rings are secure.

Start the engine.

Report your success here.

def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #17
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,072
maybe a stupid question

do you have an alarm on the bike ? I tried starting my GS after sitting awhile and forgot to turn off the alarm. Experienced same symptoms you describe. Turned off alarm and bike fired up.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #18
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
First make sure you have fresh fuel in the tank. Based on the symptoms that you have: spark but no fuel at the injectors, here are some possibilities:

--no fuel pressure. disconnect return line going back to tank. press check valve on hose connected to fuel distributor and point into container. turn key on, see if any fuel flows.

--inside tank hose split, pump failed, filter or screen clogged. open tank and diagnose.

--clogged injector. remove injector carefully from fuel distributor (they break easily). point distributor head into container, turn on key. should get very strong stream of fuel. if injector clogged remove and clean, (maybe ship to outside service)
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,221
Disconnect the line from the injector and point it at a bucket, turn on key. Trouble shoot it just like an electrical circuit and start at the source/ work your way out from there.
Tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #20
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
On the 1150 you can slide the air box tubes back off the throttle body and look down to see if you are getting a spray.

Is the exhaust plugged for storage. I used to use an exhaust plug from a motocross bike to keep junk out of the pipe. I always forgot it and the bike would not start with it on.

Animal home.

Tubes slid back.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #21
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Disconnect the line from the injector and point it at a bucket, turn on key. Trouble shoot it just like an electrical circuit and start at the source/ work your way out from there.
When one of the hoses in my tank ruptured, I tried that and got a good stream of fuel out of the injector head because with the injector off there isn't any pressure in the line. That's why I now think that starting with the return line is best. If you get a couple liters of fuel in 60 seconds then the pump, filter and internal hoses are all good to go. If you don't get food return flow the failure is most likely inside the tank.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #22
Girthy Knobkers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
More fuel

Had a similar issue after my 1100 sat for over a year. Empty tank, added a gallon or so - nothing. Added another 2 gallons or so for a total of around 3 gallons, fired right up.
Girthy Knobkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:51 AM   #23
mandon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
switch ignition key on....dont start engine....turn throttle to full 3 x times....turn off key....
switch on...start engine.....worth a try....supposed to be done everytime you take out battery.....to reset ecu or something....
mandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #24
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,532
THERE'S yer problem! Holy crap...I hope you charged that critter rent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Animal home.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote