User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #76
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Myrtle Beach

My photos, Dave? You just keep pumpin out stuff like this.

Amazing.
But, on with the boring stuff.

Getting away from that skanky motel was a pleasure. BG behaved herself and it was a perfect ride on a sky blue day.

Still had many inlets to cross before I actually saw the sandy beaches.

Ended up at Surf City being reminded of the Beach Boys. ‘ Here I come.”

One of these big hotels at 40 a night.

There were schools of fishies in the waves, kinda cool.

And a sunset to knock Sockmonkey’s Socks off.

Headin out the next day I noticed Big Gal seems to have an Owl glued to her ass.

Hopefully it will keep the bad tailgaters away.
Down along to the Fort Fisher crossing and into South Carolina.

The $33 a night package was enough for me to book a few days at Myrtle Beach just so I could relax a while and read my book.
I had found out that Daytona was about to be flooded with the Harley Hordes just about when I’d be getting down that way so it seemed like a good time to stop. What were they callin it? Biketoberfest?

This is where I took the plunge (literally and enjoyed a bit of tropical ocean.
or
Not a lot I can say about Myrtle Beach, or perhaps any resort for that matter. I guess the biggest kick I get is just riding and observing. With the emphasis on riding. What I see here in M B is like Vegas without the gambling. Just a lot of fairly pricy restaurants and shops full of trinkets and cheap, made in China apparel. I guess that is what I will be in store for as I head down the coast but all I have to do is think of that nasty stuff that is settin in up north and I am sure I can grin and bear this.

Clouds would come in some mornings but burn off fairly quickly. Forecast called for thunderstorms Friday so I thought I’d hang till Saturday.
Then BG decided she didn’t like the way some of the boys had been messin with her and, luckily for me right in the hotel parkade, she stalled and read out the red triangle of death on her screen with ECU in big letters and an unplug icon. I just got a quick electronic rattle when I tried to restart her and, as it was getting dark I put her to bed and proceeded to drink alcohol which I don’t usually do much.
Wild ideas were going thru my head. What if the ECU is wratched? Nearest dealer? 400 miles to Florida. Rent a truck? Drive her there? By the Gods, why me? Was the Big Gal warning me? She would almost stall after gearing down to a stop. But that big momentus flywheel kept her going.
Side cover off in the morning. See if it really disconnected.

And there she is. All apart. Bright and early. Soon as I took the side cover off I saw it. Ground connection was loose. I put a wrench to it and it would not tighten any tighter. I removed the bolt; saw that the hole was thru drilled and put it back in. It would not seat. Was wondering if Redline had left a spacer out. It was within 1/16th” of seating. I stold a washer from a body part and got it seated. Fired right up, problem solved. I did, however pull it off again and retry seating it without the washer which, this time it did. Go figure. Redline should have checked the ground for tightness but in all fairness I might have missed it myself.
Everything back together and will be blowing this Pop stand first thing. Florida’s coming.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #77
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646

Did she get washed out to sea in the next pic?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #78
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 374
Doug, glad we got to meet up in Roanoke. I ended up working on Mark's bike much longer than planned but he really appreciated the heated gear the next morning when it was 36F as we left town. I strongly recommend a stop in Birmingham for the Barber Motorsports racecourse and motorcycle museum. Better plan for a full day at the museum, maybe even two. There was so much to see at the track that I saved the museum for the next trip. From your photos it is clear that you are enjoying the east coast. Thanks for sharing.

Peter Y.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #79
borscht zanetti
06 950 Adventure

Oddometer: 146
Hey Doug

Did you see this about the plug caps ?

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php...&topic=58035.0

Enjoy the warmth, drove to Kelowna yesterday and encountered first snow and ice so I think we are done for the year here?

Sent ... Me.
borscht zanetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:22 AM   #80
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by borscht zanetti View Post
Hey Doug

Did you see this about the plug caps ?

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php...&topic=58035.0

Enjoy the warmth, drove to Kelowna yesterday and encountered first snow and ice so I think we are done for the year here?

Sent ... Me.
Yep Jim. Have read about that before. Someone along the way had suggested looping a zap strap under the led to gently pull the cap off. I've been doing that and so far, no damage.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:50 AM   #81
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Missing Biketoberfest

Left Myrtle Beach and continued on down 17 slightly away from the sea shore. BG was showing her new self being the perfect 55 mph cruiser. Perfect cruising weather at a steady 78 degrees. Checking that old too much heat from the big v twin problem I was now finding it at a minimum. for that alone it was worth the flash.
The first little bit of seashore I came to was out of North Charleston called Isle of thee palms. Hadn't really seen any food stops and it was getting past noon. Just at the south end of this little bit of shoreline there was a few hundred yards of great eateries. I sat down at one and joined a couple of locals named Robin and William for a great conversation on all things from my trip to their movement from the north to this great area. Hearing that probably my deepest most destination south was Key West, they urged me on and gave me good advice on where to go on the way down. Matter of fact I am getting that a lot now. Seems the Keys is a special place. Thanks again, folks.
After lunch I really felt the need to lay down some miles so 17 it was to 95 where I was able to set the Big Gal into high speed cruise mode. Without the least bit of complaint she sang all the way to Savannah. Never saw any camping along the way so I grabbed a fairly cheap motel for the night.
Next day and more interstate to just north of Jacksonville where I was able to join 1A on the coast. My eye caught a skywriter or writers doing this

Really couldn't discern weather it was one guy towing some sort of gizmo or several.

Cool tho. I like anything up in the air.
Some scenic beach here.

And then the ferry crossing.

With this Pelican after the guys' fish

Caught some sort of an airshow going on across the river which turned out to be a very signifigant event at Jacksonville Beach

A short ride to the beach and I joined the crowds to watch for a bit.

An awesone display was put on by this guy.

And it had me remembering the debaucle our government had got itself into trying to buy F35s for,like, a gizillion dollars when, perhaps these would be available for a lot less? Or even the Superhornet. I mean, really!
He even did a flyby with his little WW2 buddy.

I carried on down the coast to find out I was getting 'dangerously close' to Daytona and the last day of bike week.
Stopping at several camping spots along the way I was a wee bit surprised to find the fees were running at $40. I guess after paying $37 outside of Yellowstone, the highest I had ever paid, I made a promise, never again.
So, for $15 more I stopped at the Azure in Flagler Beach.

Now this place was clean and lent itself to real charm.

And, the beach? Well, just the best ever.

This was Sunday and there were still a lot of bikers heading north.
Monday morning I headed down to Daytona and took in some of the backroad good life.

Went to Harley, Guzzi and even BMW looking for a plug for my Nuvi so I could hardwire it in as the cigarette plugin is useless and just vibrates out in a few miles.

Seems nobody carries anything like that.
Anyhoo, down to the beach.

The designated quick tour and the almost deserted streets

And I'm outta there .
Destination Cape Canaveral. What happened to Kennedy? Wasn't it Kennedy for a while?
See it?

See it there?

One more try.

That's it. The place that has left me awe inspired since I don't know when. Think it was about '73 when I was visiting friends in Kissimmee that there was a launch one night that I watched. And even tho I was that far away I still watched it go up like a big Bic lighter.
So today it's off to see the Warbird Museum and The Kennedy Space center. (Or is it Canaveral?)
Old 10-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #82
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Eh? Into the Storm?

It was just a short hop up the road to the war museum. Three hangers full of completed, half finished and barely started aircraft.
This big 'cat' makes the Stang look small.

Maybe, because it is. 3/4 size fully flyable replica. Gotta love it. This one is a V12 but they come with Chevy V8s too.
The classic Migs were there too.

WWs one and two

C47 from A Bridge Too Far.

This was ultra cool.

And pulling out a flyable.

Then it was on to the Kennedy Space enter.

These were the only pics because.....
Paid the $10 parking. Walked to the gate to find admission fees starting at $50. Then the addons. Wasn't gonna happen for me so I left
With that storm brewing south, some nasty winds (and great surf) was already happening.

Sky was really darkening in my direction but it seemed to fizzle by dark.

Woke up to a bit of rain but now it's totally gone. Miami's forcast is rain and that's where I'll be in a few hours.
The dilemma for me is now the heat. Even tho my Oly riding gear has a vented mesh outer shell, it's still hot. I road yesterday with just the pants and a t shirt but even with sun block I seem to have burned my arms pretty good. If I do get into rain, I will wear the jacket and, even tho this is not the rain gear part I figure this warm rain is not going to do anthing but cool me down.
And I thought Hurricane season was supposed to be over? Just what I need. Not much protection out there on the Keys.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #83
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

The Keys --- Gettin there.

Sandy! I can't hate her. I've had friends named Sandy and I never hated them. It's just that... well, it's like old Thor, who I outran last summer, with his weird monster northern storms and thunderbolts, is letting me know he hasn't forgotten me thumbing my nose at him (I didn't really, honest) and had a little chat with Sandy and lo and behold, here I am in the shyte again. At least this time it's a warm bath.
It was picking up on the coast.

And providing some spectacular cloud patterns.

A1A was providing some great neighbourhoods.

The end of the day had me leave the coastal route at Ft. Lauderdale and find the Comfort Inn out on I-95.

Price was right but I had a roommate.
Sandy was closing and things were picking up. By the next morning the rain had set in and I decided to reroute myself as far inland as I could get to hopefully stay out of the worst of it. Looking at the animated doppler weather maps showed me a hole in the clouds encroaching about 11 am that day so that was my checkout time. It worked well and I got about 3/4 of the way past Miami on 27 and 997 before a giant looming thunderhead seemed to be getting closer. Pulled off for lunch hoping it would work its way away west thru my lunchbreak.
It did and I made a run for it. Right into the next giant looming thunderhead. With this one I could actually see the wall coming right at me. Accompanied by whom, you might ask. Old T-bolt throwin Thor himself. It might have well been a waterfall I was riding into because the similarities were uncanny. Immediately soaked right thru, (figured I might as well just wear the Oly protective outerwear because well frankly it was like a warm shower) I was also being hit with nasty wind. Nasty! Had just come thru an overpass so I made a hasty u turn and buzzed under it. Pulling over I could feel the blast at my back. In a second it increased to a howl and I was bombarded with palm fronds. Two other cars made hasty stops under there and all of a sudden it was hitting me full force in the face. Brakes locked and feet planted I waited for a couple of minutes and it lightened.
I wont say it was a twister but to be hit from the back and then from the front, well, something was whippin around.
And it did back off in the next five minutes or so to let me head on down the highway.
I managed to avoid the wet all the way to Key Largo where I booked into the Key Largo Inn to wait out two days worth. Reviews had this place pegged as old but clean and that was just fine with me. Good people, right price. And no La Cookaratchas!

The wind and rain carried on thru those two days.

And todays checkout had a blue sky but bedammed if it still wasn't blowin. Kind of a wobbly ride as I hit the firt of the bridges and stopped for a few pics of the first real key scenery.

Someone said wind gusts were anywhere from 30 to 40 but all I know was that I was getting knocked about pretty well. Not that BG couldnt handle it but with me sitting up there with all that gear I guess I was just screaming 'Blow me down!" I began dreading the 7 mile bridge crossing and when I saw it coming up I decided to check it out.

Got chatting with Brad who had a table set up with literature with a petition to save the original seven mile bridge.

Now Brad informed me that right now. I mean right now! Was the Key West Fantasy Fest weekend and I prolly didn't have a hope in Hell of getting a tent sight or a motel room for under 2 or 300 bucks. Seems I had stumbled into it again. Add to that that tomorrow it was over and tomorrow the winds were supposed to drop off and I had convinced myself that biting the bullet and grabbing something in Marathon would be the correct course of action. And, it just so happens that he knew a nice lady who ran the Sea Dell Motel and, altho over budget it would prolly be better than most. And so it is. I will enjoy the local sights here for one day and have booked a campsight at Bahia Honda State Park starting tomorrow. And, like the postman, neither wind nor rain nor wind nor rain will stop me from tackling this baby in the morning!
Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #84
borscht zanetti
06 950 Adventure

Looking forward to your next instalment ...

Sent - yup.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #85
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Well Bubbs, I'm outta the Keys, I do have a story to tell (with pics), but between Big Gal bein ornary (about leavin there, I think) and no campside wifi, it's takin a bit. Even got to a Ramada and their wifi was down. Should hve it soon tho.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #86
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Bahia Honda-The Sunset/Sunrise/Beach/Plants and Critters Segment

What a great campground! Spent four days there but unfortunately, there was no room after that. The Keys in general are a very busy destination and I was lucky to get what I could. Plus Bahia provided me with that much needed shade and when I asked for a shaded site, was given prolly the best one on that row with a complete canopy of shade.

The truck in this pick was volunteers who needed a place to park their truck and seeing I had lots of room, why not?

And if your wondering where all the Hippies went? I think they became vollies down here.

Before I set up at Bahia, I carried on thru to Key West, possibly another 40 miles west. I guess I still had a picture in my mindís eye of something a little more quaint. But my thoughts of KW are from a good forty years ago and by the looks of it, it has changed a bit. Still very pretty in spots but just waaay too busy for me.

The wind was still blowing for the first two days and, unfortunately, the water vis was cloudy. But on the 3rd and 4th days things got clear again and I was able to see some sea critters. Got a quick shot of a Manatee

in the flotsam clogged harbor and missed shots of a huge Tarpon jumping and a Ray swimming by. My local pets at the campsight seemed to be three Ibises that just sat on the railing and didnít seem interested in my crackers,

and small lizards (Geckos?).

We see the Turkey Vultures up in Canada in the summer but I have never seem this.

Locals said there are usually Iguanas in the trees but maybe the wind was keeping them elsewhere. Or maybe they killed them all. They told there is a small war on for this invasive species because Bahia Honda is home to the nearly extinct (I think I heard them say) Miami butterfly, which is a very tiny little guy who likes to lay his eggs on one type of plant only and, you guessed it, the Iguanas are eating all these plants. I had actually not seen these cute n cuddly reptiles yet and my new neighbours (from Vancouver, if you can believe it) said they had seen them back across 7 Mile Bridge where my recent friend Brad had his Save the Old Bridge info center set up. So I took a ride back to Marathon and there they were.

Picked up this Rum as a novelty really. And to share with new neighbors.
Turned out to be quite a good product.
They say people go there for the sunsets and I certainly took my fill of em in pictures. But they were spectacular. So, I present to you a shyteload.

And sunrises

And maybe even one great cloud pic.

I was really getting into the good weather and the calm seas but four days was all I could get at that campsite or any other state site. All booked. Too bad.
Then there's the elections. Ya gotta wonder if they are taking their elections seriously around here.

So I ventured across the Seven Mile bridge again and checked out a private one. There were plenty of openings but not a lot of shade. Decided to go for it and was originally gonna book another four days but when I rode into the place Big Gal threw a tantrum. More like a big WAAAAAAA. Right then the gasket in the crossover pipe blew out and the trip was put on hold.
So, what was I gonna do? A good hundred miles from the Miami Guzzi dealer with a sick bike. Again! There was a bike shop a quarter mile up the road so I dropped in. And, again no help for the Guzzi owner. They dealt with mainly Harleys which do not use gaskets between their pipes. Rode on down to the local auto parts dealer to see if they had any gaskets or wrap material and came up emptyhanded. The only thing close was a tube of Permatex Copper which had a 700 degree F rating. Worth a try altho, again, the pic on the box showed a valve cover gasket.
Took off the header to find it missing one small lockwasher on one side. The gasket at the y pipe had a big chunk blown out of it. I used the goop liberally, reassembled and let it sit overnight. It held at idle and I had decided it was time to get out of the Keys as BG was again not running all that well. Just at the 2 to 3000 range making me think that sync and tps was out again. Rode to Key Largo and stopped for a critical decision. I had wanted to avoid Miami like the plague but now with the quick fix having failed as I thought it would, I called Unique Superbikes who I had had previous discussions with about valve cover gaskets, and told them my situation. After an amount of back and forth it was discovered that they could get the exhaust gaskets overnighted from New York. Then they called me back a few minutes later to say that (of course) with all the power down, so were the New York Computers. But they urged me to come ahead because they had muffler wrap and were sure they could help me.
So, on I went into the building traffic and a Friday afternoon Miami rush hour traffic. It was only the last three or four miles that got real nasty but after a half hour I was thru it and on the doorstep (literally) of Unique Superbikes. These guys were crammed into a small side street right down by the harbor with their bikes parked on the sidewalk. And talk about exotics!
But they worked miracles. Again literally. I gathered they were basically Dominican and their mechanic didnít even speak English.

But he knew his stuff, worked his heart out and repacked the pipes with wrap. I would have loved to had them do the valve cover gaskets, valves, sync and TPS but, unfortunately I was literally running out of time. At six thirty I headed out into the still heavy traffic after picking up the valve cover gaskets and paying a $39 bill. The pipe work was warranty.
Got twenty miles to the west, saw a Ramada and grabbed it and the next morning was running to the west coast. The cruise and higher speed travelling was great but as the day progressed I could feel the bike running like poo and 2 to 3 and idle. It was almost stalling at idle. Really didn't feel like snapping pics and there wasn't a lot to snap anyway cept for these big burns going on south of Lake Okeechobee.
You can see some of it there in the distance. Coming up from Miami I drove under these smoke clouds that reminded me of the wildire burns I had encountered back in August in Colorado. Curious.
Another motel and another morning had me doing my valves, replacing the gaskets and test riding to find marked improvement but still with that sync problem. Rode on to Tampa Bay thru Sunday hoping for a camp site but, hey, what was I thinking? This coast, as most of Southern Florida has so far been more like one gigantic city than anything else.
Across the bridge to St. Petes
and I know I paid too much for this place.

I am now resolved to visit Guzzi in Tallahassee but I will be finding out this morning weather they are open on Monday.
Anybody want to buy a bike?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #87
borscht zanetti
06 950 Adventure

Not really. The Stelvio is your vision after all.

But do you expect me to just hang whilst you take up fencing in tallahassee ... ?? Or are you writing a travelogue worth reading?

So ... next instalment please ?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #88
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Panama City Beach

Ah! My only fan (critic?) speaks. I don't know if I'd call the Stelvio a vision. And worth reading? That would be entirely up to you. It's certainly not an adventure like many of the RRs on here. Just a bit of a travelogue. You can take it or leave it.
Haven't been doing a lot of travelling since the last report because of two factors. I had originally allotted myself a certain budget when I left and because of things like unforeseen weather (no will to camp in hurricanes or thunderstorms), exorbitant camping fees and mechanical problems, I have grabbed accommodation for a month to sit out some time in a nice location.
I had hoped to enjoy camping in the Keys for several weeks but at $43 a day and no everything all booked up, I decided to look elsewhere. PCB is cooler but being a northerner, it really doesn't bother me. $29 a day for a month in a bachelor with wifi, tv, stove, fridge, laundry will help me get back on track.
So, where were we? Oh ya. Heading north. BG running rougher. Resolved to hit the closest MG dealer. Fasttrixx in Tallahassee.
The road up the coast was more of the same. Long and straight. Like Columbus looking for any sight of land, I am looking for any sight of land...change. And then there it was.

Some hills! Now if I could only find some curves. But, that would be asking too much.
Made my way to Tallahassee and Fasttrixx.

Met the owner/MG tech, Danny.

Who turned out to be a one on one type of guy who was and still is determined to to get to the bottom of my troubles.
He actually found a connector I had installed when I removed the air system, had been lying against the cylinder out of sight, and had disintegrated, allowing air into the TBs. He found the sync still spot on and got an immediate improvement in performance. I had replaced the tee connection with a plastic nipple, joining up the two existing rubber hoses and keeping the TBs connected. What I didn't know and couldn't see was the position of the connection. My bad.Danny also enquired and listened to my rant on deficiencies and warranty issues and went after them. As I had said I wanted to hole up for a while not to far away from there, he suggested we deal with these issues now. Agreed.
As I was waiting, we had a visit from 'Tennessee', an interesting, interested customer.
Check out the riding boots.

I don't think she was a serious customer.
As I rode down to PCB I was aware the bike was performing better but still not perfect.
Getting to the beach I was surprised to find the incredible beaches and clear blue waters that Kedgi had described.

I grabbed my little secluded Paradise about a good four miles from the downtown high rises, in Laguna Beach.

I am the only tenant in this little complex of four units and houses on each side are deserted.

My only neighbors are Christians. A lotta Christians. Some sort of Christian resort on two sides.
In the words of Seinfeld, 'Not that there's anything wrong with that.'
Then there's the beach right across the road.

Putting around PCB I was finding BG even trying to stall when I would come up to a stop. I figured it had to be the airleaks in the exhaust so I pulled it all apart and, using the permatex copper, gooped everything double time and tried to make ad hoc gaskets (which weren't there) for the header to cylinder mate. Waiting the whole 24hr curing time, I tried it out to find a not perfect but noticeable improvement. On the second morning I decided to, once again, check the valve lash. I found a small need for improvement but just a little. That done, I rode thruout the day to find my improvements just steadily decreasing. Called Danny back and he asked me to get it back up there and leave it. And so, yesterday, it was back to Tallahassee and back to here on a loner.

The Norge was a nice ride but with my arthritic knee and shoulder, a painful one. So, here I sit. In comfort. With Danny bound and determined to get to the bottom of this. I cannot say enough about this guy. He's going the full nine yards for me and I can't give him enough credit.
Fasttrixx in Tallahassee. Take your Guzzis there. Justice demands it!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #89
Redhed
Lost on the Island

Oddometer: 80
Spiked heels, eh? Hoping that your down time will be good times...Keep the pics coming and stay away from the wrenches...
Redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #90
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhed View Post
Spiked heels, eh? Hoping that your down time will be good times...Keep the pics coming and stay away from the wrenches...
Two different Panamas, eh Dave? Glad to read Blondie is still truckin along. How many kms on her now?