ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #3766
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,413
A 250cc bike is ideal for riding around in the woods. A few that come to mind...
WR250
TE250
KLX250
XR250/CRF230L
KLR250
DR200/350
I'm sure um missing some good ones. You can get kits for most of these bikes to easily bump them up 50ccs or so as well.

...or you could make everyone drool by getting the KTM 350 EXC-F

akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #3767
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
If I was staying here on the tree infested east coast I would definitely be looking for a KTM, small and light. Just spoke to go2navy and he sold his plated 200 exc up into the great white north, so it is gone..too bad ..perfect Pachaug bike. Plated KTM 200-400 2 or 4 stroke is what I would be getting. They pop up for $2500-$3500 if you keep an eye out. With your mechanical abilities I think it would be a no brainer.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #3768
CT DUAL-SPORT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Lighter is way easier to ride (in the woods)!

Many bikes come with "Off-Road Use Only" designations. When I was shopping for KTM, I discovered that they all come with a title from the factory. In other words, they can be registered (with the proper lights added). Light kits are reasonable enough to add.

I ran into a guy couple weeks back with KTM 250 XC-W plated, autoclutch. That was a sweet setup.

I had a KTM 690 enduro R (305lbs) and traded it for the KTM 350 EXC (248lbs) and the difference is night and day. You'll be a better rider on your first ride. I think if you are going to go through all the work to find something... try to stay under 250lbs.

Also, being vertically challenged at 5'7"... I cut 1.5" out of the seat, softened the suspension and wear thick-soled boots. It works without serious compromises (i.e. suspension lowering).

I think you can find a nice used KTM or the like for about $3K.

-Shawn
CT DUAL-SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #3769
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
I'd love to have another Orange in my stable but I'm piss poor... would have to sell something, few somethings...

Displacement not an issue as long as it's able to get to and from Pachaug on it's own.
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #3770
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Good friend had his XC200 (MXC? some kind of 2 stroke KTM with VT plates) for sale last winter asking $1800 and I considered it but then it got stolen right from his garage, I posted about it a while ago, meanwhile some personal shit hit the fan and I stopped looking.

My personal shit still in the fan but I need a distraction, fix something, sell something, buy something, preferably before I go nuts from all this personal drama...

I got few scooters that need to be put together before I can sell them, also couple big bikes, had some interest in the pair of RD400's that I probably will never get to but now 2 month later and they are still here... If I get rid of all the surplus should be able to buy something nice, for now it's barely McDonalds budget.
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #3771
akarob
Green Cantern

You could put a VT plate on one of these, and I'd be jealous.

http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/3408269563.html

Those bikes are sick. I ride one this summer. Easy 4th gear wheelies.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #3772
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
Last Sunday's ride has me inspired and I may look for a smaller bike to ride the woods. I'm 5'6" and all my off-road experience comes from couple laps around Pachaug so I really have no idea what I'm doing or what bike to get, all I know that my 640 is nice but heavy and I want to put it back to SuMo anyway

This past weekend Yamaha was most represented brand, WR250?

I'm a big Honda and KTM fan but didn't see any Honda's and probably can't afford an EXC...

DRZ?

small KLX?
The Japanese D/S 250's are as heavy or nearly as heavy as a DRZ400. There are a bunch of DRZ400's on CL for real good values. Be sure to get a 2002 or newer because that's when the better suspension was added.

I think this is the way to go.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/3399053154.html
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 06:34 AM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #3773
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,287
MATPOC, I'll round up cheese and we'll stop by the shop one day in the next couple of weeks, get your mind off things (and maybe peek into the scooter stockpile). My first dibs on the TV175 will always stand, and it'd be kept local.

You should try out some bikes on the next group ride.

I wish I had taken CT Dual-Sport up on his offer to try out his bike. I had no idea it was that light. What a difference weight makes. But now I want the new Duke 390.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #3774
akarob
Green Cantern

What's a good brand if scooter that won't break the bank? I was talki.g about it at the campout but don't remember specific names. Ideally I think a 150-250cc 4 stroke.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #3775
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
My wr 250r has the lower link and it is still a tall bike...
Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #3776
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
What's a good brand if scooter that won't break the bank? I was talki.g about it at the campout but don't remember specific names. Ideally I think a 150-250cc 4 stroke.
Genuine Buddy 125, 150 or the new 170i (it's fuel injected).

Genuine Blur 220i (fuel injected) and it looks very hawt.
http://genuinescooters.com/index.html
Company is out of Chicago and works with a manufacturer in Taiwan. My 150 has given me five years of trouble-free riding, and I treat it like shit. I wish it wasn't called a Buddy.

Pretty much anything Kymco makes will be decent. I love the look of the Like 200 (two-tone) but it's only at 176 and I've heard, it's very pokey. The People line has larger wheels, but I'm really partial to the flickability of the 10-inchers.

Sym is another brand to look at. They've had terrible parts distribution problems in the past. They're now being represented by Alliance in the US and I've heard that getting parts is a lot easier now. The HD and Citycom are sweet looking machines.

There's always Aprilia and Piaggio. Piaggio's BV 350 is the shit right now.

Vespa, you're paying $1k for the name.

There's always Honda (the SH150i but it's very expensive for what it is) and Yamaha Zuma (but it's only a 125). I don't consider the Burgman, Majesty, Silverwing, the new BMW C600/GT650 scooters. They're automatic motorcycles. Who needs a 650 scooter to go to Aldi or to school?

Used? Run the brand by at least one of the scooter people you know.

If I could go out and buy a new scooter today, I'd definitely be taking a look at the BV350, the Buddy 170 and the Sym HD200.

Oh, and no one is making 2-stroke scooters anymore. The scoots all come from Asia and their emissions laws have gotten pretty strict. It's also why we're seeing all FI models now.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #3777
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
MATPOC

many good points above regarding bikes for pachaug. just to add my 2 cents.

i got back into riding dirt after about 20 years off. started with an 09 klx250, and thought it was great, until i started riding pachaug. it is a really good dual sport, but I found that i was constantly breaking things, and felt like i was destroying it, and not enjoying it. The bike was way too heavy (and those who have seen me ride, know I need somethng lite weight to pick back up again )

so i picked up an '10 husky TE250. there is no comparison. and by that, i really can't compare the 2 bikes. if i wanted to have a bike for running around town, my 8 mile commute to work (non highway), the KLX250 would be the bike. the husky SUCKS on the road, but riding it on the trail is like a dream.

I am not saying go husky, but go with a bike similar to that (husky te250, ktm 250, etc) IF your primary goal for the vehicle is riding places like pachaug. I say my husky sucks on the road, but probably mostly because it has non DOT knobbies, and is geared for the trail (12-52 sprockets, for example). It was like this when i bought it used, so I never road it with milder tires and the original gearing it came from the factory with (neither did the PO, since he gave me the original sprockets, and they are still brand new). It is a bike that has a true street title (comes with blinkers, horn, mirror, etc, but it is what i call a real dirt bike).

one other point is I am vertically challenged too, so i put the 1" koubalink on the TE250 (and did not notice any ill effects on the road that some talk about, but I already said my bike SUCKS on the road, anyway). I can reach the ground (more or less) now.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #3778
Drewha
Thunderbirds Are Go

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
Genuine Buddy 125, 150 or the new 170i (it's fuel injected).

Genuine Blur 220i (fuel injected) and it looks very hawt.
http://genuinescooters.com/index.html
Company is out of Chicago and works with a manufacturer in Taiwan. My 150 has given me five years of trouble-free riding, and I treat it like shit. I wish it wasn't called a Buddy.

Pretty much anything Kymco makes will be decent. I love the look of the Like 200 (two-tone) but it's only at 176 and I've heard, it's very pokey. The People line has larger wheels, but I'm really partial to the flickability of the 10-inchers.

Sym is another brand to look at. They've had terrible parts distribution problems in the past. They're now being represented by Alliance in the US and I've heard that getting parts is a lot easier now. The HD and Citycom are sweet looking machines.

There's always Aprilia and Piaggio. Piaggio's BV 350 is the shit right now.

Vespa, you're paying $1k for the name.

There's always Honda (the SH150i but it's very expensive for what it is) and Yamaha Zuma (but it's only a 125). I don't consider the Burgman, Majesty, Silverwing, the new BMW C600/GT650 scooters. They're automatic motorcycles. Who needs a 650 scooter to go to Aldi or to school?

Used? Run the brand by at least one of the scooter people you know.

If I could go out and buy a new scooter today, I'd definitely be taking a look at the BV350, the Buddy 170 and the Sym HD200.

Oh, and no one is making 2-stroke scooters anymore. The scoots all come from Asia and their emissions laws have gotten pretty strict. It's also why we're seeing all FI models now.
The Queen of Scooter Trash has spoken
Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #3779
akarob
Green Cantern

Thanks the great suggestions Lolita, That Genuine Blur SS220 I looks AWESOME !! Dual disk brakes, 70+mph. MORE than enough power to do hills with traffic.

Ok, and if you're really into customizing...

Old 11-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #3780
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 747
Yee-Ha!

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote