Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #121
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebohnet1 View Post
Aj cycle located in gill mass. They did an excellent job.
Dave is a great guy
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #122
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
get your local dealer to write a statement to that effect and have it signed by the dealer principal and the head mechanic. in the event that your credit card dispute doesn't go well, this would be a hail mary in small claims court.

they tried to fix your bike, and in one of the first things they did, broke something which they overlooked/missed and then proceeded to inconvenience you monetarily.

such a document could also help with your credit card dispute.

did you call the new brunswick dealer and tell them what their tech did?
not a chance in hell. No one will ever be able to prove to a judge when, how or who broke the tab. The OP is probably correct in his belief that some ignorant mechanic broke the tab, but he can't prove it.

I just replaced my own hall sensor and you really do need to be totally ignorant of this particular model or inattentive at best to break the tab.

Glad to hear you finally got the problem solved.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #123
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Aj cycle located in gill mass. They did an excellent job.
They've always been nice when I have stropped in there.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #124
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
I would notify BMW North America of your experience and send them copies of all your receipts - everything.

It's situations like this that will define the difference between makers and their commitment to 'excellence'.

Sorry def - really didn't mean that to turn south in that big of a hurry. I'll take full responsibility for that.

ebohnet1 - good it finally got fixed.

Rick
I'm beginning to think BMW wants you to buy a new machine every 3 years, do that and they like you. Keep one of their machines for 12 years and you are of no concern to them. In their mind ebohnet1 should have bought a new BMW while in Canada accumulating $2k in service bills. As long as they are selling new units marketing will take care of replacing those who drop off the BMW boat.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #125
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
I would notify BMW North America of your experience and send them copies of all your receipts - everything.

It's situations like this that will define the difference between makers and their commitment to 'excellence'.

Sorry def - really didn't mean that to turn south in that big of a hurry. I'll take full responsibility for that.

ebohnet1 - good it finally got fixed.

Rick
+1 This is not something the two dealers should finger point over. This is the perfect sort of thing to take directly to BMW NA.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #126
justacommuternow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
30 years ago +/- I was living in San Diego and took my Dodge Dart to a Shell station for some engine work. I can't remember the details, but something wasn't right when I got the car back. I took it to the Dodge dealer, who determined a wire was pinched when the head was reinstalled on the Slant 6, and charged me $200 for the diagnosis and repair. I went back to the Shell station and asked the owner to pay me the $200; he instructed me to leave the property. I went to small claims court, armed with a smudged letter handwritten by a mechanic at the dealer explaining the pinched wire. The Shell station owner didn't show up at court and after the judge read the smudged letter, he awarded me the $200. I went over to the Shell station armed with a very formal court order, and as the owner furiously wrote me a check for the $200, his eyes burrowing through to the back of my head, he seetheningly asked, "Why didn't you come in here and ask me in the first place?" I grabbed the check and ran!
"The first day or so we all pointed to our countries. The third or fourth day we were pointing to our continents. By the fifth day we were aware of only one Earth." ...aboard the 18th flight of Space Shuttle Discovery, June 1985.
justacommuternow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #127
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Well, it appears the guys up in Canada broke the tab on the sensor rotor causing the bike's timing to be off. So good news, it is fixed. Bad news, well damn near 5k to fix it.
Did I miss something...what was the issue prior to Nova Scotia shop breaking tab? Therefore breaking the "tab" made something else impossible to find...I'm really glad its repaired and I'm one of those guys going "whew" that sucks but I am glad it was not me...good on yah for posting your misery.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #128
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
I had almost the exact same situation a few years ago. Someone brought me an 1150 that was dying unexpectedly. He had replaced the HES but the problem persisted. I rode the bike a bunch of times and sometimes it would die until it cooled down but usually it would be fine. Very time-consuming...

Turns out that during the HES replacement the rotor was installed crooked, and when it heated up I think it would pop into a different position and rub the HES. Then it would cool down and pop back. I replaced the rotor and the newly damaged HES, and everything was fine.

I think the total was $800-ish. I thought that was a lot for what I did but I just had SO much time in it (some of it sitting somewhere waiting for it to cool down again).
Old 11-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #129
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,871
And Anton's post of his experience only supports the theory, most dealer techs are not all that skilled.

However the tech was also not skilled at assembly and scrutinizing his own work. Getting the HES rotor on correctly seems a simple task that would be relatively easy to perform properly even if the procedure was not in the lexicon of the tech's previous experience.

With BMW instructions and a repair manual, most any of us could carry out the repair with success by following the repair procedure documented in the BMW repair manual. I know I could and I've never seen an HES up close and personal.

This begs the questions;

1- Had the tech ever performed this repair previously?
2- Was an official repair manual referenced during the attempted repair? If so, why did the repair not proceed with success and a properly running motorcycle?
3- And then, when the bike did not run, why wasn't the repair scrutinized and inspected for correctness?

If a repair manual was in use, what caused the repair to be unsuccessful?

If a repair manual was not referenced this might be deemed negligence to take the necessary precautions to determine the correct repair process.

Either way, I believe you may have a case for Small Claims and a strong case for refuting the CC charges.

Note;

I just reviewed my BMW Repair Manual. It clearly states in a Caution note to seat the rotor in the groove in the crankshaft and secure it with Loctite. Therefore, this very repair is covered in detail in the BMW repair documents that should be referenced and followed by every official BMW motorcycle repair facility.

def screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 09:03 AM
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #130
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTL View Post
Did I miss something...what was the issue prior to Nova Scotia shop breaking tab? Therefore breaking the "tab" made something else impossible to find...I'm really glad its repaired and I'm one of those guys going "whew" that sucks but I am glad it was not me...good on yah for posting your misery.

WHOA WHOA WHOA, Hold on there High Pockets!!

the shop is in New Brunswick, not Nova Scotia.

carry on.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #131
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,467
I had to replace the HES on my 1100RT. Never having done this I got out my trusty Clymer and started. I question how the timing could be set and not see an interference in the rotor and the HES????? I had to glue the rotor back on also as it had come loose........I used the instructions to make a timing lite also........

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #132
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post

the shop is in New Brunswick, not Nova Scotia.
So, what's the difference?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #133
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,153
Assume he doesn't want his provence blamed if it was done elsewhere. Why you ask. I'm sure at least one person would decide not to visit beautiful Nova Scotia because of the story. Yes you and I both know that's stupid.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #134
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
Assume he doesn't want his provence blamed if it was done elsewhere. Why you ask. I'm sure at least one person would decide not to visit beautiful Nova Scotia because of the story. Yes you and I both know that's stupid.
Marty, my comment was tongue-in-cheek. I was prodding to solicit or invoke a response of the nature you describe...to defend his province.

Instead, I got nothing...nada, zip. So, I'll not be rushing up to either NB or NS any time soon. But, the province did nothing wrong regarding the motorcycle repairs (or lack thereof). However, if this thing is litigated, the province might be involved...who knows.

In lieu of travels to NB or NS, I am thinking of a prison visit to Rod Blagojevich to see how his new job (making license plates) is progressing....just a thought.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #135
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,153
def, I should have known.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote