Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Fam Rider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Changing tires in Bariloche, Argentina

Guys,

Need some help.

In December I´ll be riding from São Paulo in Brazil to Patagonia and back and I planning to change tires in Bariloche on Dec. 26th but I am having a hard time finding a place to do it.

Also, although the plan is to carry the spare tires from here, it would be great if I could buy the tires there (TKC80 for my GS1200).

Thanks!

FM
Fam Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
TKC are not for sale in Argentina. You can go to Chile and buy them.

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
gordojordo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
You could try Motos del Sur, i think they are on Iordi, or something like that. We were able to get a 17 inch tire for our KLR, so you might be able to find something for your bike too. Worth a try.

Cheers
gordojordo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
marksgone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hey,
any new info on this? Currently heading south and it looks like Bariloche would be the ideal place to change rear k60. What are my chances of finding a decent tire for a decent price down there?
Any Help?
Cheers
marksgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,932
I don't have my journal handy (currently out of pocket) but the folks at Ctork are riders and were real helpful when I was there, if there's tires to be had they'll have them or can get them. It's close to the centro and here's the address I found on the web.

Ctork av pioneros 435, 8400 San Carlos de Bariloche

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
snatchy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksgone View Post
Hey,
any new info on this? Currently heading south and it looks like Bariloche would be the ideal place to change rear k60. What are my chances of finding a decent tire for a decent price down there?
Any Help?
Cheers
Hi Mark
How is it going?
Never caught up with you when I was over there - must have missed each other in Peru or something? Hope your trip is going well after the slow start. I am back in FNQ. It is hot.

I didn't find any good rear tyres in any of the shops in Bariloche when I was there in April except a rear Metzeler Sahara 3. I used one of these tyres later in the trip and they were OK but only lasted 5,000kms so useless really. Thankfully I didn't buy it at that time in Bariloche because it was 1100 pesos from memory. Very expensive. Kept going to Santiago and much more range and cheaper.
The Guys that Misery Goat posted up were useful when we went in so worth a look in there but being Argentina I wouldn't expect a huge range at cheap prices.
I would suggest getting in contact with the BMW rental guys in Orsono as they seem to be one of the few carrying K60's in Chile or Argentina. Orsono is not far from Bariloche.
All the best
snatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #7
marksgone
Adventurer

Hey snatchy,
sounds like you had a great adventure! Hope the normal life doesn't hurt too much!
Yea, thanks for the info. I sort of thought I would have to head over to Chile to get some tires. Strange, things there are so much more expensive and getting 9.5 peso for the dollar I would have thought here in Argentina would be the best value.... and so many BMW riders here, crazy!
I will try to keep the rubber going until Osorno I think!
Cheers
Old 12-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
bigadz
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Osorno

Hi Mark, I changed my tyres at BMW in Osorno 3 weeks ago. They have an excellent range of tyres for albeit average prices (see motoaventura.cl). They had both Continental TKC's and Heidenau K60 Scouts + a few others. Speaking to a few Argentinian BMW riders most of them make their way to Chile to change tyres due to the hefty import taxes in Argentina.

I also paid a visit to the Honda dealer in Bariloche and they were very helpful when I was there but they didn't appear to stock tyres for big bikes, mainly trail/offroad bikes. Whatever you do make sure you lock your bike to a pole or in a garage in Bariloche, my GSA was stolen and recovered trashed just under 3 weeks ago, not the best way to end the ride...
bigadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
Rafagas
Rafagas

Oddometer: 47
Changin tires

First you can buy and install diferent tires in Chile, In Argentina you can change your tires in any town or city they are very good mechanics, the tires in Argentina are expensive and dificult but not imposible to find.
I find a Metzeller KAROO in Bariloche at us$ 500.
Rafagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Wow, I am so glad that I popped a set of fresh Karoo 2s into my shipping crate when i boxed my KLR! $225 for the set, delivered from SWmototires.com.

I knew that tires would be expensive down here, but I never imagined that!

I have 5500 miles on the Avon Diztancias, most of that ripio. You would never know that they had more than about 800 miles. Incredible wear.

I got 7000 miles from a D606 in Central America, but that was plain stupidity. At these prices, I might try it again.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,932
Don't go to Brazil.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
marksgone
Adventurer

Just a quick update.

We got to Orsorno and visited the guys at Motoaventura. Swapped out the rear for another K60 (it was their last one and earmarked for another fellow but the truck was arriving the next day with more so they sold me their stock). Great folks, coffee while waiting, chat to the mechanics and worked out pretty much the same price as back home (US$220 for 150x70x17).
They did mention that they are getting more walk in lately whereas they used to get emails first (I think they would prefer that) and this way avoid disappointment when you get there.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #13
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksgone View Post
Just a quick update.

We got to Orsorno and visited the guys at Motoaventura. Swapped out the rear for another K60 (it was their last one and earmarked for another fellow but the truck was arriving the next day with more so they sold me their stock). Great folks, coffee while waiting, chat to the mechanics and worked out pretty much the same price as back home (US$220 for 150x70x17).
They did mention that they are getting more walk in lately whereas they used to get emails first (I think they would prefer that) and this way avoid disappointment when you get there.
Oh wow. Looks like you got that tire on just in time.
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
marksgone
Adventurer

Yea, great timing. The Caraterra Austral and RN40 that we did straight after would have seen me with some roadside repairs I think. Both great rides by the way! Possibly best of the trip so far.
Cheers