User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
jmandrze OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Macna Riding Gear

Anyone use any of the Macna gear? Just wondering how it compares.

http://macnausa.com/

Jason
jmandrze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
jkfrazier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmandrze View Post

Jason

I'm considering the Geo jacket as well. I haven't been able to find much in the way of reviews. It appears to be a very nice Jacket. I'm just wondering how well it really vents as compared to a summer mesh jacket like the Rev'it Tornado or BMW Air Jacket.
jkfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
brockway
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Just bought a Macna Oasis off TT so I'll let you know when it comes in.
brockway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
JayS
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Macna

Went to twisted today and picked up the oasis today. Looks and feels great. Euro fit will let you know how it works out!
JayS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockway View Post
Just bought a Macna Oasis off TT so I'll let you know when it comes in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayS View Post
Went to twisted today and picked up the oasis today. Looks and feels great. Euro fit will let you know how it works out!
You both opted for the oasis. Can I ask why? Just curious.

Kevin
Old 09-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
JCRecline
Dogman

Oddometer: 3
Macna Oasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
You both opted for the oasis. Can I ask why? Just curious.

Kevin
Kevin, Can't speak for JayS and/or Brockway, but my guess would be the $315 price vs the $409 for the Geo. I'll be calling you guys Tuesday to order one of these jackets, they look very similar, looks and quality seem top shelf. I'm thinking either of these jackets with the hi viz vest and upgraded back protection will work for me. The Desert Gray just might push me towards the Oasis. Oasis in Desert Gray with back protection and vest is still less than the Geo.

John From Peyton

Ps, Rider Magazine did a nice write up on the Macna Oasis in their recent jacket shoot-out
JCRecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
JayS
n00b

Oddometer: 5
hey guys just wanted to follow up with my macna oasis purchase. its been about 7 weeks now and i put about 3,000 miles on my new vstrom and the oasis gear. here's what i have come up with so far.

the jacket looks great and feels great. as i mentioned the euro fit is a bit snug. i am a 37x31 waist/length respectively and a 46-48 jacket (usually a 17" neck size so i ended up getting the 2XL in jacket and pants. now i have been using the pants to commute especially in the chilly a.m. i leave before 6am. i usually just wear my boxers under the pants. i like the way the closure for the pants/waist is made so it interlocks and not a snap style that can pop undone like my tourmaster. the visibility/reflectivity on the macna gear isn't as good, in my opinion, as my tourmaster gear.
one of the big drawbacks to the macna gear i find are the zipper size. i wear gloves and a larger zipper would be ideal when trying to adjust the openings etc. on the macna gear. the tourmaster has large zippers to grasp easily. the front closure after you zipper up are snaps on the macna, while more stylish they are more difficult to do on the fly unlike velcro that tourmaster utilizes.
the cold weather and waterproof liners zip in and out very neatly/clean on the macna and make for a superb fit and finish. the pants zip together with the jacket on both macna and tourmaster.
the zipper is on the left hand side on the macna fyi took some getting used too (euro thing i guess)
the ventilation is a bit better on the tourmaster than the macna.
the optional hi-viz yellow vest is a nice feature on the macna which i may pick up.
as far as rain proctection is concerned, i have gotten stuck in the rain without the liner wearing the macna and it will work with light drizzle but be prepared to get wet without the rain liner, same as tourmaster.
the macna is slightly warmer probably due to the tight seals between layers and less openings for airflow.
the padding/protection on the macna is far more unobtrusive than tourmasters it has to do with the higher quality material that macna uses, its soft yet hard and lightweight when impacted at the same time, interesting
overall i like both sets of gear for different reasons. the macna i have set up as my all around wear daily gear that looks great, goes with bike and arai xd4 orange helmet i own nicely.
the tourmaster gear is set up for cold weather riding because i prefer the macna without the liners, it just fits better, by the way i have only worn a t-shirt underneath my jackets and have been fine, for example today it was 55 degrees out on my ride home and i had boxers/tshirt/long socks, riding boots and macna gear without the liner and was fine at 75mph hwy. speed.

so hope this helps a bit...the macna gear was about $100 more for jacket but if you have the tourmaster or similar keep it unless you just want to be more fashionable. any questions ask away :)
JayS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
tar356
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Macna sizing

I just stumbled across the Macna jackets, and they are now definitely on my short list for a new jacket!

How's the sizing? I'm 6' and about 185 pounds with a 34" waist. According to the chart, I would probably be an XL in the chest area, but a M in the waist???

Maybe someone at TT can chime in?

Thanks -
Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar356 View Post
I just stumbled across the Macna jackets, and they are now definitely on my short list for a new jacket!

How's the sizing? I'm 6' and about 185 pounds with a 34" waist. According to the chart, I would probably be an XL in the chest area, but a M in the waist???

Maybe someone at TT can chime in?

Thanks -
That sounds about right to me. I am 6' and 220. I'm soft in the middle (not a little, I have a real gut on me) with moderately broad shoulders. It was a little snug under the arms for me and would have been too tight if I were able to zip it closed. I used the Geo for sizing. I think that unless you are a body builder with a huge chest, lats and biceps then you should be alright in the XL. The rule of thumb with Macna gear is go one size up from what you would normally wear. I hope this helps. Also, apply the same "Add a size" to the pants as well.

Kevin from TT
Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Pedaler
Shop Rag

Oddometer: 85
I have one new for 250 shipped in Large

Too big for me. It's as new. Used it one time. Crazy deal!
the best they'll feel all day. Dean Martin
Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
rg500g
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmandrze View Post

Jason
I've spent the last month or more obsessing over a new 4 season jacket. Olympia, Macna, Klim, Rev'it, Spidi, Dainese, Weise, Clover and Teknic were all in contention, with top of budget being $650 USD. My touring ride is a 2008 BMW K1200 GT, and I will ride as much as possible rain or shine.

Of all the jackets I compared, the Macna Gator came out on top from a basic feature and price performance perspective. I almost went for the Clover Tekno but I had strong misgivings regarding its comfort in high temperatures. I was unsure how the Olympia jacket would hold up if I hit the tarmac. I had similar concerns regarding the Teknic jacket although there were no accounts of crash testing on the Internet. I've read numerous accounts of burst seams on Olympia garments. The Spidi Tour S7 was $580 USD from Germany and has a CE level 1 rated shell. Almost went for it.

I bought a Macna Gator from fcmoto.de for $ 380 USD delivered to my door. I was not any more confident in general regarding the strength of the overall shell fabric than I was in the Rev'it, Teknic or Olympia gear (largely due to no 3rd party testing) but the hard protectors built into shoulders and elbows, along with generous use of "superfabric" on contact areas that is used by other manufacturers, made the difference. Venting was superior to the Macna Chameleon but a bit below the Geo - I chose protective potential otherwise I might have gone with the Geo.

I expect to receive the jacket in approximately 2 weeks' time. It will be interesting.
rg500g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Review?

So after all this time no one has a review based on their experience with the Macna riding gear? Should I scratch it off my list of gear to consider?
Old 10-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
macintosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
So after all this time no one has a review based on their experience with the Macna riding gear? Should I scratch it off my list of gear to consider?
Can recommend. Will write review (short one) and pretty favorable. Geo2 jacket in question. Stay tuned.
macintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #14
macintosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Macna All-Season Waterproof GEO 2 Men's Motorcycle Jacket & Bedoine Pants + Visbility vest. So far have used them ~5000km. Got some light experience.

Jacket: http://goo.gl/f0BF7O
I bought grey one for better visibility and lesser heat in direct sunlight. It has 3 separate layers, plus very cool and innovative venting system. Three small panels of tough, textured, flexible Superfabric provide extra abrasion resistance at the shoulders and elbows.

Inside is a thin, waterproof membrane, and a thermal layer with full sleeves. Bouth liners have zippers that runs along the main jacket opening. Both liners can be easily removed. A large panel covering the middle of the chest, around the collar can be removed, revealing mesh that allows lots of air in. There are also two vents on forearms.

It has front, side and rear reflective panels, and possibility for high-viz Vision Vest. There are eight pockets (four on the front, one on the back and three inside, inside pockets are waterproof and and easy access), adjustment straps at the arms and waist, and a zipper to connect to pants.

I have tested it just about every climatic condition the it was designed for. On cold days (0 Celsius) in Alps, I stayed warm. When I encountered heavy rain for 2h I stayed dry. With the summer panel and all liners removed on a hot day (23Celsius) I stayed cool. Quality and construction are very high. Also discovered that even without inner membrane Geo2 jacket can hold light rain for 1.5-2 hours without any water penetration, the same goes for pants.

Pants: http://goo.gl/ri2Vfd
what concerns quality - they are top notch. Also three layers and pretty good ventilation system what actually works. As long as you are on driving. They feature also detachable waterproof and thermal layers. And they will keep you absolutely warm. There is really two things I don't like: they are really tight fit on legs so protectors are constantly pressing on my knees and I need to adjust them every time when on saddle. This can be hopefully remedied just by replacing with different protectors. Also they are little too warm. I could not suggest them as 4-season pants, 3 season is top. For even moderately warm weather (anything above 20C) you need something else as off saddle you will be sweating heavily just in minutes. On motion clever 3D ventilation system will keep you more or less cooled.

macintosh screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 01:44 PM
macintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
01xj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I had a Macna oasis jacket. I sold it because it was snug to begin with, and I got a little fatter.

The fit and finish are top notch. I can't say enough good things about it. The rain liner zips into the sleeves which takes a bit longer, but gives you a really nice waterproof connection. The fleece lined collar is great, and the collar has a velco tab to hold itself open.

The venting with no liners in works really well, especially the chest vents. Plenty of pockets and storage. In the back of the jacket is a zippered pocket. If I remember correctly, the rain liner can be shoved in there if you can live with a lump on the small of your back.

The WP rain liner is really nice, almost 100% waterproof. The most I used it was an hour and a half of pouring rain and it kept me very dry.

I never used the quilted liner or the high viz thing.
01xj is offline   Reply With Quote