Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Scarcity of 2012 690R's this past summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanson View Post
I find it hard to believe that they have become popular because all I see are drzs rolling around. I rarely see a ktm 690 enduro rolling around north county. Maybe I should be looking for an out of state 2012 and crating it back to CA?
Last February the buzz was that KTM would only ship a few 690's and only to buyers with deposits. This alarmed me so I ordered a bike with a deposit, but didn't get one in the first wave. I worried that I might not get one at all for a while. But the bike came in early May and all was good. I called every KTM dealer in New England and upstate New York. Only two offered me a slight discount for a cash purchase. And BTW, the only dealers who could sell the 690R were 'street' dealers. This probably added to scarcity.

I don't know why you never see any 690's in your hood, but it probably has something to do with the low production run and release to KTMUSA. Meanwhile, they been making DRZ's forever...

To me the 2012 KTM 690 was reconcieved as a more street friendly motorcycle over earlier versions. I think it is successful in that way. Sort of the KTM version of a KLR...

The new fuel injected 350 and 500 EXC dual sports are more of a hard enduro. KTM has developed a very good collection of offerings I think. But they are all expensive.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
lhanson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
I bought mine in April. There were 2 or 3 in Socal, new at the time, dealers wanted nearly 13k out the door. I found a 2010 with low miles in Bellingham, WA. Friend bought one 2 weeks later, and the only one in the pacific nw for sale was a new 12, 11k+ out the door. Most dealers were only ordering 1, maybe 2 at the time per year.

Looks like there are several used ones in Socal currently.

They will never be as popular as a 400 because most people don't want to spend that much, and Ktm doesn't make that many.

The fact they didn't bring in an SMC, and with it being so easy to throw a set of 17's on them certainly made them more desireable.

Can't imagine this one will last even though it's an 09 and he has it listed as 08.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/3402247988.html
I saw that one a while back. Good price but I want the newer 690 motor 2012+. Im getting ready to put a deposit down this next week. Hopefully the 2013 get here in a couple of months Im going stir crazy. Desert season will be on its way out.

Yea I plan to put 17in wheels on it for commuting. Fingers crossed.
lhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #18
lhanson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Last February the buzz was that KTM would only ship a few 690's and only to buyers with deposits. This alarmed me so I ordered a bike with a deposit, but didn't get one in the first wave. I worried that I might not get one at all for a while. But the bike came in early May and all was good. I called every KTM dealer in New England and upstate New York. Only two offered me a slight discount for a cash purchase. And BTW, the only dealers who could sell the 690R were 'street' dealers. This probably added to scarcity.

I don't know why you never see any 690's in your hood, but it probably has something to do with the low production run and release to KTMUSA. Meanwhile, they been making DRZ's forever...

To me the 2012 KTM 690 was reconcieved as a more street friendly motorcycle over earlier versions. I think it is successful in that way. Sort of the KTM version of a KLR...

The new fuel injected 350 and 500 EXC dual sports are more of a hard enduro. KTM has developed a very good collection of offerings I think. But they are all expensive.
Thats what has made it so difficult. So far the 690 has been the ticket for me. Commute weekly to weekend enduro so cal dezert toy to CO/northern CA enduro trail bike. Gahhhhhhhh whyyyyyy
lhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanson View Post
I saw that one a while back. Good price but I want the newer 690 motor 2012+. Im getting ready to put a deposit down this next week. Hopefully the 2013 get here in a couple of months Im going stir crazy. Desert season will be on its way out.

Yea I plan to put 17in wheels on it for commuting. Fingers crossed.
Then drop $2000 + for full Akra exhaust and some carbon fiber heat shields and you can have a big hole in your ass (where your wallet used to be) just like me! Ouch. More than I paid for my Ducati system (I think I have a hole in my head too). Sure sounds sweet though and power up.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #20
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
milage ?

so how many miles will the 690 motor go with out a top end rebuild or complete overhaul ? 25k,35k ??
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #21
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
No easy answer on that one because there isn't enough long term experience yet and it depends on how you ride and maintain it.

I'd say if you baby it and you are lucky, 50k.

If you flog it, maybe 30k?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #22
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
KTM puts the 690 in their street line and they don't come out until late winter to early spring. That's another reason you don't see them everywhere, not many dealers handle the street line. We got three 2012 models, they're gone now but it took a while to move them. I've ridden a few, nice bikes but it is a lot of money for a bike most people really don't ride that much.
JTucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #23
zxrider11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
You have to search around, as there are still a few new 2012's for sale here in the midwest. Just a month ago, I got my 2012 new for $9,500 + Taxes from a KTM dealer in SW Ohio. Had to travel 350 miles one-way to get it.

I just got notice that there may be another one for sale here in Michigan, the dealer said they found an overlooked crate.

If anyone wants a lead on it, let me know.
zxrider11 is online now   Reply With Quote