User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
morabo OP
save the karoo!

Oddometer: 114
Save the MCE Karoo!

Munich 12/11/2012 12:00 - Metzeler introduces the new Karoo™ 3 On/Off Enduro Tyres.
The new knobby tyre from the manufacturer with the elephant logo will be on sale from spring 2013 and will REPLACE the MCE Karoo and MCE Karoo T models...

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/news...onth&word=word
---
And that's what we have to stop!
The new Karoo3 will surely be a great tyre but mostly for adventure travels.
But the original MCE Karoo is the best performance off-road tyre for most big enduro bikes and the new model won't change anything about it.
Our message to the manufacturer is: Keep them both and save the original MCE Karoo, please!!!

http://www.facebook.com/SaveTheMceKaroo

Please share and like this page, post your opinion, your experience or your pictures and videos with the original Karoo and try to help us saving it!!!
For those who want to know how my daily ride to work looks like ;-) :
http://vimeo.com/54363864
morabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,087
I'm surprised they would do that. They must have been hit hard by the tire buying lull of the last couple years, and decided there is only market for one off road DOT tire: the Continental TKC-80. The Karoo 3 looks to be more in line with the Anakee.

Less choice means we lose...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
morabo OP
save the karoo!

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I'm surprised they would do that. They must have been hit hard by the tire buying lull of the last couple years, and decided there is only market for one off road DOT tire: the Continental TKC-80. The Karoo 3 looks to be more in line with the Anakee.

Less choice means we lose...
Exactly! And that's why we are trying to collect some likes on facebook and ask metzler to revise it's decision...
For those who want to know how my daily ride to work looks like ;-) :
http://vimeo.com/54363864
morabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,087
I'm don't know Metzler's sales numbers, but I do know people are currently having a tough time finding TKC-80 and Kenda Big Block tires, which are probably the 2 biggest competitors to the Karoo. I think they should even add a 180 tire to the lineup to cover the Multistrada.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,259
So it's more street oriented.

I wonder if Metzler decided that they weren't selling enough Karoo's and were losing market share to the TKC crowd.

If so, the move more towards a 70/30 street/off-road tire makes sense as opposed to the 50/50 TKC.

A lot of people were begging for an alternative to the Heidi - this looks like a very viable alternative.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 398
Mileage?

Does anyone have any mileage or performance reports for the new Karoo 3's? I've got about 8000 miles on my Heidi K60 Scouts so they'll need to be replaced soon. The Karoo's are more expensive so it may just not be worth it. I have no issues with K60 Scouts, I just like trying different tires and would be inclined to try them if I could expect to get several thousand miles out of the on a Tiger Explorer.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
Does anyone have any mileage or performance reports for the new Karoo 3's? I've got about 8000 miles on my Heidi K60 Scouts so they'll need to be replaced soon. The Karoo's are more expensive so it may just not be worth it. I have no issues with K60 Scouts, I just like trying different tires and would be inclined to try them if I could expect to get several thousand miles out of the on a Tiger Explorer.
Seeing as how they just started shipping in any sort of volume a couple of weeks ago, it's going to be a little while before there is enough feedback on them to have a good sense for expected mileage.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Paul23
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
There is a whole thread just about Karoo 3 here..
Paul23 is offline   Reply With Quote