Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
trodgers OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Above are some pictures. Now that I look at them, they are out of order, sorry about that. But there are some with the bike and some of my neutral switch.
trodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
trodgers OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36 View Post
Drag the bike up to Anacortes for a weekend. We can go through yours using mine as a reference.
If I could make the bike to Antacortes, I would!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,139
A little practice and you should be able to get some better focus, but I see a different paint scheme on the seat cowling than my 79RS. The seat itself is a custom of some type.

Are you a rear drum or disc brake?? The T model that year was drum. The RS RT's were disc. Oak likes the 79T as the best base Airhead ever produced.

Data plate on steering head should show month and year of production, and should also identify original spec, T/RS/RT.

But the dark blue/light silver was only used on the RS that year.

Looks like a 79 RS with the fairing deleted to me.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
trodgers OP
Adventurer

it has disc break in the rear. I have noticed a reference to 1980 on the rear wheel well
Old 10-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #20
trodgers OP
Adventurer

Been thinking about how to do the bike. I have short legs (30" inseam), Currently the only way I can ride the bike is with boots on. Can anyone recommend a shock(s) that allows me to lower the bike a bit? I currently have old(er) shocks that have some rust on the springs. Its possible that they are old and wont lower to where I want them.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #21
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 160
Adjust the seat

Have you considered having the foam in the seat cut down and then get it recovered. That way you might achieve the room you need without compromising your suspension travel.

patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #22
trodgers OP
Adventurer

Update on bike:
Bike is being torn apart so the frame can get powder coated. I have started making sheet metal pieces as I take things apart (seat pan and air box block off) and making a list of bad parts and new parts needed, when I stumbled across something I cant find a simple solution to. This is where I need some help. I have a breather line that goes to my airbox. I believe its a crank case breather (at least its what I have seen from here). I can not find a page that shows how to modify this to get rid of the breather line. can soemone help?!?!? I think I need a reed breather valve. I have a 1980 r100rt. All help would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
Masterpotter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Your second photo shows the oil pressure switch. Replace it with the VW one, then plug in the two prong plug, I don't see this wire in the photo. . This most likley the source of any oil on that part of the motor.
You have the clean air system on this bike. it runs from the air box to just in front of the exhust nut on the underside of the head. This can be removed as it does not seem to do anything. It was to add clean air into the head to help the unburned gasses burn. I found that a 6mm allen can be used to fill the hole after tapping this port. . An auto parts store block-out plug will fit the airbox holes.
Masterpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #24
trodgers OP
Adventurer

woohoo another part I need to replace!!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #25
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,085
Looking at your last picture, with the oil and grime everywhere, I was thinking the rear main seal might be the issue!
The good thing about that, is you can change the neutral switch out easily, once the gearbox is out to get to the rms.

However, before tackling that, the left front pushrod seal looks to be leaking and I'd ensure oil wasn't from the oil pressure switch near your left toe. It looks dirty, but not wet like the pushrod seal is. It's probably just tracking back from the seal.

btw, the last pic is upside down.

boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote