User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 822
Sure appreciate all the great information that comes from these threads. Thanks
For reference purposes I was in Colorado going over some 12,000 foot passes and my bike starts this dying routine at highway speeds coming into the town. We had to decide if we wanted to chance going over the last pass with my bike cutting out and dying. Cleaned the vent tube on the Carbon filter and went for it. Would have been a hugh recovery fee if it had crapped out deep in the mountains.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #17
guzzimike OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Well, the bike has come home from rehab, sporting it's new subframe & other bits, so it's time to set to work.
First off I remove the pump from the tank, the book specifies a special tool to undo the locking ring, but, hey, I'm just an Aussie truck driver, so I used a hammer and punch.

Once the pump is out I remove the filter and set the outlet from the pump onto the spigot that the filter used to mount to.

The hose that previously fitted to the barb on the top of the tank is pulled down and forward and becomes the outlet from the new filter to the injection rail.

Note the Compufire regulator, this is being fitted at the same time, hopefully saving my stator.
A new hose is then run from the tank to the inlet of the filter, then the filter is zip tied to one of the hoses running from the Touratech Tank.

This may seem a bit dodgy brothers, but my thinking is that a flexible mounting is superior to a rigid one.
Besides, it was easier.
Fired it up, all good. Will test it this weekend on the annual OCBR.
I can now replace the fuel filter at regular service intervals at minimal cost.
A bit of a no-brainer really.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #18
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 179
I like this. Looks good.

I wonder what the micron rating is on our oem vs. aftermarket fuel filters and how it will affect the injectors.
A clear and/or reusable one would be nice.
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #19
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 179
Something like one of these.

fuel filters

10 micron rating and washable. I think most paper filters are good for around 30 microns.
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #20
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
They will probably tell you that they cannot sell parts made for an OEM manufacturer, and not even give you any specs.

I had the same problem when I called Rotax to find out the transmission ratios when the bike first came out, like those things would stay a secret....
Hi Lukas

They replied last Friday and told me to go to a local dealer ATP in Vienna. I was out for a business trip in Poland and just came back on Friday so had no time to check, However, I wrote an e-mail to ATP lets see waht they tell me. Will not have an answer before WEdnesday cause I have to go to Romania tonight.

Cheers Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #21
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Bad news.

The local Austrian dealer ATP Majer does not find the filter in the official sales program so I sent him a picture and description. He e-mailed Mahle in Germany and also submitted the picture of the filter. In parallel he e-mailed another company and asked if they have a substitute or equivalent. I liked the line saying " I really want to help the bikers getting the part for an acceptable price!"

So finally ATP in Austria tried to help but unfortunately Mahle (Mrs. Simone Lang) replied that this filter is not available through the aftermarket sales program.

Sorry guys. However, a famous German Motorcycle Magazine has asked readers to send information about overpriced parts or parts which are not available as spare parts. Llike the filter or waterhoses from KTM requiring to buy the whole thermostat.

I have to try to find which magazine it was and I will send them the issue. But I really doubt it will help. A letter to BMW will most probably not even reach the responsible persons

Cheers Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:30 AM   #22
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730020

We really need to try and get all the fuel pump / filter information together. I've been running an external filter for a while now, same setup as guzzimike. One thing to be carefully of is most car efi filters are designed to run larger diameter fuel lines than the bike is fitted with. My original fuel line split after about 3 months, which was not good. So I've now replaced all efi hoses.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #23
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Great information coming out of this thread. I will look into the filter issue and see how much trash comes out. Thanks for all the work.
I am not above some creative enginnering to make a permanent fix.
BMW.... Ich werden nicht den wucher preis bezahlen !!!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #24
guzzimike OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoytheride View Post
Great information coming out of this thread. I will look into the filter issue and see how much trash comes out. Thanks for all the work.
I am not above some creative enginnering to make a permanent fix.
BMW.... Ich werden nicht den wucher preis bezahlen !!!
I replaced the pump because I thought at the time that it was the problem, however, if you do find the filter full of crap,
it would be a good bit of research to just replace the filter and see if that solves the problem.
I connected my old pump up to 12v after I removed it, and it seemed to work fine.

A Long Weekend 2009

hQo9Atub1N9jg

Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #25
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Took the fuel pump assembly out to see what it looked like. the main pump filter was laying on the bottom of the tank. Took the filter out and blew back through. Not much came out. Soaked it with carberator cleaner and blew it out again, some brown came out with the carb cleaner. Put back together and started right up ????
Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #26
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

I will need to take the bike out and see what happens. What is the next step ? will see if the same problem occurs.
How many bikes have had this same issue ?
Old 11-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #27
C5!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Same issue. bike with 56,000 km. pulled out the pump assembly, removed the fuel filter which was effectively clogged!! Did the same mod as OP, replaced by an external filter. temporary repair though because here in the middle of nowhere at the border of Brazil and Venezuela, can't find appropriate filter nor 1/4" fuel line. Used temporarily a pressure air/water hose.
Tested the bike and is now running fine. Hopefully mod will last until I reach Caracas where I can find appropriate filter and hose.
C5! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #28
guzzimike OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5! View Post
Same issue. bike with 56,000 km. pulled out the pump assembly, removed the fuel filter which was effectively clogged!! Did the same mod as OP, replaced by an external filter. temporary repair though because here in the middle of nowhere at the border of Brazil and Venezuela, can't find appropriate filter nor 1/4" fuel line. Used temporarily a pressure air/water hose.
Tested the bike and is now running fine. Hopefully mod will last until I reach Caracas where I can find appropriate filter and hose.
As far as I can recall, the fuel line is 5/16".

A Long Weekend 2009

hQo9Atub1N9jg

Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #29
C5!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike View Post
As far as I can recall, the fuel line is 5/16".
well might be, although it looked 1/4 to the eye.

just checked the hose on the bike it says " FUEL 6 x 11 BMW " I may have wrongly assumed 6mm ID, 11mm OD
C5! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #30
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5! View Post
well might be, although it looked 1/4 to the eye.

just checked the hose on the bike it says " FUEL 6 x 11 BMW " I may have wrongly assumed 6mm ID, 11mm OD
I'd be pretty sure that's the right size, and 6mm is just slightly less than 1/4" so a 1/4" hose and filter should work. My question then is if anybody's found a filter with that size inlet/outlet that is made to work with fuel injection (high pressure). The only ones I find that size are the cheap plastic or glass filters that are made only for low pressures (carbs). I'd bet there is a auto filter for some european or japanese model cars that would fit the bill, but I have no idea how to find that.