User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
Tebpac OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
650 GS won't start......

A friend has a 2011 650 GS that he purchased in late 2010. This year, we were finishing a ride and stopped at a buddies camp for grub. When we came out, the 650 would turn over but wouldn't start. Tried fresh gas. No go. It wouldn't even really try to start. Took it to the dealer. The checked the fuel system and felt it was bad gas that clogged the injectors. However, it happened again just recently on another planned ride. We rode about 90 miles and stopped to pick up another guy. Just before getting there, the bike stalled while in gear. He coasted it and it started up on the 3rd attempt. Stopped to pick up our other rider and the bike refused to start. Turned over everytime, but not a hint of it trying to go.........Are there any electrical issues out there for the 650, or other thoughts of what it might be. It now sits at the shop and they are looking deeper into it and contacting BMW....
Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebpac View Post
A friend has a 2011 650 GS that he purchased in late 2010. This year, we were finishing a ride and stopped at a buddies camp for grub. When we came out, the 650 would turn over but wouldn't start. Tried fresh gas. No go. It wouldn't even really try to start. Took it to the dealer. The checked the fuel system and felt it was bad gas that clogged the injectors. However, it happened again just recently on another planned ride. We rode about 90 miles and stopped to pick up another guy. Just before getting there, the bike stalled while in gear. He coasted it and it started up on the 3rd attempt. Stopped to pick up our other rider and the bike refused to start. Turned over everytime, but not a hint of it trying to go.........Are there any electrical issues out there for the 650, or other thoughts of what it might be. It now sits at the shop and they are looking deeper into it and contacting BMW....
This is the twin 650...yes...??? Have you tried Techron.....????? This is a known issue when the injectors gets clogged. There have also been a string of bad fuel pumps.... Look up " guzzimike" he just posted a pump thread. I would start with techron .... 1 oz per gallon, for a few tank fulls. Joel once said , that if the injectors are plugged bad, techron cannot help.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Erling is on target.

Did the dealer check for fault codes?
If it is a fuel pump issue then sometimes a fault code is logged.

One (of the 2,587,943) interesting thing that Joel said a while back is that many times hard starting is caused by a battery/charging system that is not quite up to snuff. BMW runs the injectors at a reduced voltage, so if the system voltage is low to begin with then the injectors may not be firing well. He would commonly get no-start bikes that would start without issue if cranked over while attached to a battery charger.
Since failed stators are another not uncommon issue on this bike I would check the charging system voltage.

Since the dealer has it .... Keep us posted.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
Tebpac OP
Adventurer

Thanks all....I'll let you know what the dealer thinks and I'll pass along the info!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Tebpac OP
Adventurer

I just spoke with the owner. He said he has used Techron in 3 tankfuls with no change. Hi gut tells him it's the injectors and possible battery. He's going to ask the dealer to replace the injectors,battery and fuel pump since it 's still under warranty and see if that does it.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebpac View Post
I just spoke with the owner. He said he has used Techron in 3 tankfuls with no change. Hi gut tells him it's the injectors and possible battery. He's going to ask the dealer to replace the injectors,battery and fuel pump since it 's still under warranty and see if that does it.
I'm sure the dealer will heed his advice.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I'm sure the dealer will heed his advice.
Oh yeah, you can count on it...
Old 11-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Tebpac OP
Adventurer

LOL.........I'm sure he'll just set him up with a new bike for sure........... Still waiting. He said they were waiting to hear from BMW.....Cricket...........cricket...........
Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Tebpac OP
Adventurer

Update...

I just spoke to my friend today. He said the dealership talked to BMW. Apparently they are going to replace the ECU and the fuel pump at no cost to him. They have had problems in the past with this and this is where they have started. Once they have been replaced, they will put some miles on the bike to see how it works and go from there........
Old 11-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Wow .... I'm surprised at the new ECU .... first I've heard of that one .........................
Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,122
Maybe he means the fuel pump controller.
I have been trying to get a dud one to gut it and build my workaround cable but the local dealer has had to send every single one to Motorrad.
Curious, no?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Maybe he means the fuel pump controller.
I have been trying to get a dud one to gut it and build my workaround cable but the local dealer has had to send every single one to Motorrad.
Curious, no?
MM:
Yes ... fuel pump controller would make much more sense (well ... at least to me ...)

You may find this thread interesting:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453119
Old 11-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #13
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,122
The price of that inspired me to roll my own, JR.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #14
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
This is the twin 650...yes...??? Have you tried Techron.....????? This is a known issue when the injectors gets clogged. There have also been a string of bad fuel pumps.... Look up " guzzimike" he just posted a pump thread. I would start with techron .... 1 oz per gallon, for a few tank fulls. Joel once said , that if the injectors are plugged bad, techron cannot help.
I am 90% sure that your problem is just clogged injectors as ebrabaek says you will most likely need to have them removed and cleaned with a special tool for our micro mist injectors.
In my first 1,000 miles with this bike I had it happen to me about a dozen times. the last 39,000 miles have been issue free with new injectors and regular fuel treatments. They cleaned the old injectors and I keep them as carry spares.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #15
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The price of that inspired me to roll my own, JR.

yeah ... I'm with you ... I used it more for "inspiration"