Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #61
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Will do; just got my estimated shipping date: 28th Dec. It'll be cutting it fine for it to get to the UK, clear customs and for me to do the necessary prep before I need it in earnest for a winter trip in early Feb. Ideally, I'd like to do a weekend's hiking in the snow with it before using it on the bike.

Any "pre-reading" I should be doing before it arrives to ensure I can get right on it? (links please)
Anything I need to buy (I'm already getting and plasticoating roofing nails as "frozen ground" pegs) or does it come with seam sealer, etc. included?

EDIT: Just been emailing back and forth with Kifaru. Wow, their customer service is good! Big thumbs up already and all they've done so far is take 1500 off me.
You probably know this by now, but from the website:

"Seam sealer is included, and sealing is done by the customer in order to save costs and expedite your shelter.
1. Pitch your shelter tight to allow sealer to penetrate and waterproof the stretched seams, stitch holes and thread.
2. Fabric should be clean and dry (this sealer claims to cure in wet or damp conditions). Use a paper cup, mix sealant and mineral spirit (paint thinner) until you have a slurry about the thickness of molasses. Using a 1/2" inch paint brush, apply to all sewn areas, seams, bartacks and holes.
3. Curing: leave the tent pitched until the sealant is not tacky, the longer the better. Fully cures in 24 hours but dries tack free in about 30 minutes to 1 hour."

I usually use a foam brush for this, but any brush will do.

There's really nothing much to it. Pretty easy to pitch.

There are several youtube vids

From Kifaru:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzwBXKABb0g

others too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9PzNXlcb90

Instructions are handily included printed in the stuff sack.

Did you get the liner or netting or anything? I didn't. Sometimes I wish I had the liner but it's not usually an issue.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #62
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
In a small tent with no floor, think army shelter halves, I found a #10 can with a candle inside actually warmed it up quite a bit.

As far as cooking though, you may be limited to marshmallows.
A UCO three candle lantern can make a significant difference in a tent. I've been working on my justification for a tee pee/tent stove for several days now. I'll get there though.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #63
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Hppyfngy: Thanks, came across text of that today, but the videos were news to me. I got the liner; I am on the UK and mostly camp here and Northern Europe, so its usually damp.

Customs charging and shipping meant I wanted to avoid buying accessories down the line. Hence getting them now.

GaM. Funnily enough, I just made two hobo candles in of sweet tins. I had a load of partially burnt candles and corrugated card to dispose of, so they cost me nothing more than my time. Experiments in my garage suggested they will each burn for about 8 hours and throw out enough heat to easily warm my 3 man tent. I also successfully boiled water on it, so they can be used as backup cooking stoves too.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
Old 11-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #64
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Hppyfngy: Thanks, came across text of that today, but the videos were news to me. I got the liner; I am on the UK and mostly camp here and Northern Europe, so its usually damp.

Customs charging and shipping meant I wanted to avoid buying accessories down the line. Hence getting them now.
Good plan. You'll be glad you got the liner. When it's damp, you can get a terrarium going in there and brushing the tent sides can cause an unwelcome shower.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #65
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
I am a liner fan and have them in both of my shelters.

I got a couple of these...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat104627880

They make great steak pullers and of course work well for hanging my candle lantern.

I picked up a folding lantern from Garrett Wade http://www.garrettwade.com/portable-...rn/p/83R02.01/ I really like it but it puts out less heat than an ECO.

In my 6 man I use an old arrow. I cut off the point and use the notched end on a tage piece of chord to help close the door. It works great.

Don't forget to seam seal the cone.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:15 AM   #66
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
I am a liner fan and have them in both of my shelters.

I got a couple of these...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat104627880

They make great steak pullers and of course work well for hanging my candle lantern.
Nice idea; I reckon I could make something to do that out of some of the thick wire (it's like bent coat hanger) I always carry under the seat of my bike for repairs in hot areas where paracord would burn.

I just ordered an LED "donut" lamp like the guy has in this video (sorry embed not working today for me, for some reason):

I am hoping that will work well as light for the tent rather than just using my headtorch/phone. If not, I recently saw a very natty headtorch design where it's a shameless Petzl clone torch, that comes with a white waterproof stuff sack. Idea is, you use the stuff sack when travelling, then once your tent is set up, you put the headtorch inside and the white bag acts as a 'diffuser' that throws the rather focussed bright light of the torch into a softer glow that goes in all directions.

RE: The traditional lantern, how do you find transporting those works, aren't they a little fragile?

Thanks for the tip on paying attention to the cone with sealing, BTW.

Ceri JC screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 03:21 AM Reason: botched embeded link
Ceri JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #67
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Quote:
Nice idea; I reckon I could make something to do that out of some of the thick wire (it's like bent coat hanger) I always carry under the seat of my bike for repairs in hot areas where paracord would burn.

I just ordered an LED "donut" lamp like the guy has in this video (sorry embed not working today for me, for some reason):

I am hoping that will work well as light for the tent rather than just using my headtorch/phone. If not, I recently saw a very natty headtorch design where it's a shameless Petzl clone torch, that comes with a white waterproof stuff sack. Idea is, you use the stuff sack when travelling, then once your tent is set up, you put the headtorch inside and the white bag acts as a 'diffuser' that throws the rather focussed bright light of the torch into a softer glow that goes in all directions.

RE: The traditional lantern, how do you find transporting those works, aren't they a little fragile?

Thanks for the tip on paying attention to the cone with sealing, BTW.
The hanger from Cabellas is stout, bent wire is not comparable and likely will not hold your wet jacket up like the hanger will. Mune packs with the stove and takes up very litt;e room.

I have broken a couple of the ECO candle lantern globes, but they are easily replaced. My Garrett Wade folding lantern lasted the whole 2 month trip without issue. I really like it but as I said it puts out less heat than the ECO for just taking the chill off. The stove will run you out if it isn't cold and miserable out.

Mr. Fisherman screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 01:39 PM
Old 11-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #68
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Quote:
The hanger from Cabellas is stout, bent wire is not comparable andlikely will not hold your wet jacket up like the hanger will. Mune packs with the stove and takes up very litt;e room.

I have broken a couple of the ECO candle lantern globes, but they are easily replaced. My Garrett Wade folding lantern lasted the whole 2 month trip without issue. I really like it but as I said it puts out less heat than the ECO for just taking the chill off. The stove will run you out if it isn't cold and miserable out.
How's the light from the Garrett Wade folder? I like the look of that a lot.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #69
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
How's the light from the Garrett Wade folder? I like the look of that a lot.
The light is great and it is very sheltered from the breezes, in fact it is hard to blow it out. I like it a lot.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #70
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Quote:
The light is great and it is very sheltered from the breezes, in fact it is hard to blow it out. I like it a lot.
Thanks. Just ordered a pair. It's not the first time you've cost me money amigo...

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #71
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Thanks. Just ordered a pair. It's not the first time you've cost me money amigo...
Money well spent, I wish I had bought a pair. They have mica lenses... like, a transparent sheet of rock... very cool. you are going to love them.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #72
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Hey Mr Fisherman, what is the liner like? My ex uses the 8 man mostly and hasn't said she needs a liner but I thought about making her one.

I know it's light colored and I'm guessing breathable like ripstop. Is it dwr? Have any idea?

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #73
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

It seems to be the same material. I wouldn't be without one. It really adds to the comfort imho.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #74
Riot
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 104
I see only one thing wrong with this, the chimney is too close to the stripper pole that supports the teepee
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #75
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Here's another source for stove jack material. I can't find a SL5 anywhere though.

http://www.bearpawwd.com/fabrics_mis...isc.html#stove
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote