Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 AM   #16
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogger123 View Post
if someone want to wear hiking boots on a bike, they can knock themselves out. Personally i wouldnt compromise safety in that way. I wear sidi crossfires when i am doing dirt trips because the consequences of not wearing adequate protective gear is not worth the risk as far as i am concerned. If walking is part of the trip, i would take an extra pair of boots. I really don't see the amount paid as much of a problem. The cost of quality gear amortised over its life doesnt work out particularly expensive. Lets face it, dirt touring is a hobby and hobbies cost money. The issue with safety gear is that it is only when something goes wrong that it comes into its own. If you dont crash, or dont crash in a way that creates an ankle injury you might not notice or care. Still each to their own.
+1
Old 11-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,310
Hiking boots are fairly protective and that is what I used to ride in, and still do sometimes. Although I'm more protected now in my M/C boots, that isn't the reason I switched over. An overnight trip which involved going through numerous water crossings, many stagnant, filled my hiking boots with putrid water and ruined them (They were GoreTex too, but that didn't stop water from above). After that trip, I went and bought some waterproof M/C boots.

There is something to be said for task-specific equipment. But that's up to the individual.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,597
Currently have Sidi Crossfire TAs. - If I'm going to walk/hike on a ride I carry a pair of trail running shoes.

This will be my next boot purchase.

Watch the video. --- http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...ots_p_351.html

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #19
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
I have a pair each of Prexsports , Combat lites ,and Adventure Rains . The Rains are the ones that I wear the most . I bought them for the ankle and leg protection . I have good workboots and hiking boots ,but they don't offer the protection that I figure that I can afford .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #20
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
You ride a 2012 BMW R1200 GS Rallye and started a thread about people spending $200-$300 dollars on ADV. boots to look cool?
Bravo. Well-done!
Old 11-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #21
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
I decided to compromise and wear one Asolo GTX and one Sidi Adventure GTX. It cut the boot squeak down by 50 percent on the bike, but it increased 100 percent backpacking.

GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #22
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
I own a 2012 GSA. I also own Sidi Adventure Rains, size 13. I'd like to compliment the remarkable restraint responders displayed in this thread. As for the subject matter:
"Wise men never argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who"
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceputnam View Post
Im just curious as to why anyone would spend 2-3 bills on a dedicated pair of riding boots when hiking boots like the Asolo seem so much more versatile.
Really?
I wonder why someone would own a 2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye bike, when there are far better far cheaper bikes that do a much better job at everything the BMW does, all while doing it at the fraction of cost, weight and complexity.

Oh right, it's the bike that for you fits the bill you want it to fit.

Same deal with everything.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #24
Jamm
Old man on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM View Post
I
Appearently you shift more than you brake since your left foot is larger than your right.
Jamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #25
afmeyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
The person to ask is the one whose destroyed his foot in an accident because his boots were not purpose designed, not tight, and did not have the protective shields in the right places. My boots are double boots with a lace tied boot on the inside and the usual velcro closures on the outside boot. Unfortunately, they're wearing out and not made anymore.
afmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #26
gatorgrizz27
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by afmeyer View Post
The person to ask is the one whose destroyed his foot in an accident because his boots were not purpose designed, not tight, and did not have the protective shields in the right places. My boots are double boots with a lace tied boot on the inside and the usual velcro closures on the outside boot. Unfortunately, they're wearing out and not made anymore.
This was me unfortunately. While riding dirt bikes I wore a $100 pair of trail riding motorcycle boots. Looked like mx boots but had a treaded sole and were more flexible. Which was great for typical trail riding, getting off to scout creek crossings, etc. Then I shattered my ankle racing supermoto in them and after 12 weeks on crutches and $3,000 in hospital bills after insurance, I bought a pair of Sidi Crossfires.

Obviously boots are a compromise, just like dual sport bikes. The more time you plan on spending on the bike and off the road, the better protection you need. But think about the situation you might find yourself in should you be 800 miles from home, by yourself on a remote trail, with a broken ankle and a bike you now can't pick up.

That being said, I do somewhat agree that the limited protection adventure boots are fairly pointless. Being waterproof and having a treaded sole are great features, but if you are losing protection its probably not worth the hassle of carrying alternate footwear and spending the money on them.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #27
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
My steel-toed Gore-Tex combat boots vs pavement:

They don't provide as much ankle support as MX boots, but they're the best compromise I've found as I can walk comfortably and still provide a fair bit of protection
Old 11-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #28
Coastalcop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
One of the toughest men I know tore up his ankle not wearing the right boots (got his foot caught under the aluminum pannier on a low speed get off) during a ride on Black Gap Road in Big Bend. I ended up riding two bikes in relays for the tougher parts. I wore older Sidi MX boots and was just fine on my ride (the hiking between blieks kinda sucked)

That guy is a retired Cardiololgist and all required a bit of rebuilding to get right again.

Buy the Best gear you can afford for whatever you choose to do. I wont climb with a cheap rope.

Never confuse getting lucky with good tactics.... unless you are at the bar
Coastalcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #29
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceputnam View Post
I can understand using MX boots for when I ride in the track or in the dirt on my 250 or 450 dirtbikes but I do not understand what the reason for buying a specific set of boots for riding my GS would be. When I ride, I wear my Asolo GTX boots. They have been fantastic. They have a wrap around toe so no crazy issues with hitting the shift lever. They are 100% waterproof, solid as brass balls, and they are hiking boots so that means that when I am not on the bike I can actually walk like a human and never even think about changing boots. Also, I tend to do much more exploring off the bike when I see cool shit that I could imagine climbing or scaling a rock face with shorty moto boots on.

Im just curious as to why anyone would spend 2-3 bills on a dedicated pair of riding boots when hiking boots like the Asolo seem so much more versatile.
The Asolo boots definitely seem more versatile... But they also look much less protective than most dedicated riding boots.

I spend a lot of money on gear. I ride in about $1700 worth of riding gear. My bike is an 'R' titled $2500 bike riddled with scrapes and cracks. I am definitely not spending big money on gear to look cool or brag about it. If that were the case, I wouldn't be riding around on such a cheap bike. I spend a lot of money on quality gear because I like not being broken. I crashed on the highway earlier in the year going highway speeds. My gear took a beating, and I walked away from it a bit sore; no trip to the hospital or anything. Spending some extra coin for additional safety pays for itself very quickly.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #30
terrapinneck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Hiking boots

I wear hiking boots...because that's what I could afford. Been looking on here and Fleabay for motorcylcle boots , size 13. I've heard that on boxer engines the cylinder heads can break your lower legs on a front impact....
John 3:16
terrapinneck is offline   Reply With Quote