User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Unsung OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Xt600e vs xr650l

I am having a difficult time choosing between several bikes. At the moment I am looking between buying an early '90s XT600E VS a 2003 XR650L. They're about the same price, with the XT600E needing absolutely nothing, having 10k miles and looking fantastic. The newer XR650L however needs more streetable tires, is missing blinkers, and looks as though it's been offroaded pretty hard. I wondered what the comparison is between the two bikes. I've tried to find out myself but keep getting conflicting reports. From what I've read, I THINK they're the same weight, with the same amount of power, both very similar engines, but the XR650L is quite a bit taller. I want a bike I can ride across country on without worry, as well as do well off-road. I know the XR650L is the better offroad bike compared to it's main competition, the KLR 650, and DR650. But how does this bike compare to an XT600E which appears to have the same weight, and power, but with less ride height?
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Well you came to the right place for more of those "conflicting reports".

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Unsung OP
Adventurer

Haha. Well I was hoping to get some replies from someone whose maybe ridden both bikes. Or even just the XT600E, to tell me what to expect from the bike, the weakness of it.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung View Post
Haha. Well I was hoping to get some replies from someone whose maybe ridden both bikes. Or even just the XT600E, to tell me what to expect from the bike, the weakness of it.
I've ridden XT500's and 550's, not sure if I rode the 600 tho, but I'm a 49 year old who's owned and ridden more bikes than he can remember anymore getting older is a biatch...
That being said I loved the yammies, in their day they were great bikes. I now own a xr650l, and with the proper mods to undo all the EPA strangling, a few minor performance parts, and some suspension revalving its a very strong runner, with TONS of low end, that eats up the dirt like no other ds I've ever ridden. Its a VERY tall bike tho, and with a full IMS tank mine is top heavy. I'm 6"3' with long arms and legs tho, and have been riding most of my life, so its a non-issue for me, I have a ball on the bike in some very gnarly conditions. That being said, if you're of shorter stature and not the most experienced rider it could be a handful.

The yammie on the other hand is also a very reliable, low maintainence engined bike just like the xrl. Its going to be much easier to ride with the lower seat height, and should have similiar power characteristics to the honda...maybe not quite as much low end modded, but still more than enough. The major diffs will probably be better suspension on the xrl if you like aggressive off-roading, lower seat height on the yammie and easier to ride if you're shorter or not comfy with a tall bike, and it may be harder to get parts for the yammie.

From what you've described tho I'd go with the xt600

I forgot to add the xrl is electric start only, the xt is kick only if that mattered to you. I like the easy button myself, but kicking's fine too once you get the bikes starting routine figured out

Sierra Thumper screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 01:52 AM
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #5
Unsung OP
Adventurer

This bike is an XT600E, the E standing for electric start. I almost bought one a year ago and kicked myself when the guy never replied to me, after calling non-stop for two days he finally picked up and said he just sold it an hr earlier. I'm 5'11", 170lbs, and I think the XT600E will be more suited for me. I don't think it'll be a bike I'll have any disappointments with.

I've always wanted a Dual Sport, and soon I'll finally have one. Thank you for your help.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung View Post
This bike is an XT600E, the E standing for electric start. I almost bought one a year ago and kicked myself when the guy never replied to me, after calling non-stop for two days he finally picked up and said he just sold it an hr earlier. I'm 5'11", 170lbs, and I think the XT600E will be more suited for me. I don't think it'll be a bike I'll have any disappointments with.

I've always wanted a Dual Sport, and soon I'll finally have one. Thank you for your help.
I didn't even know they made an e-start xt600, nice find You're gonna have a ball on it....and it sounds like it has a lot of good life left in it, without needing an immediate outlay of cash to get it road ready like the xrl.
Post up some pics and keep in touch here when you get it.....theres an awesome xt600 thread here as well