http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #167
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbera View Post
I'm still on the helmet issue. Did the fastener snap of or how could the helmet leave the head? The reason I'm asking becouse I got conserned about my own head vs helmet. Tightened it hard when riding to work today after reading this post.
Helmet straps are not actually designed to keep the helmet on your head in ALL possible situations. When the force pulling the strap exceeds a certain amount, the strap is designed so break, so that the helmet can come off from your head. If it did not come off at that point, then that could easily result in fatal injuries to your neck. One might think, that protecting your skull is the most important thing a helmet does, which is true of course, but in that special scenario it is still better, that the helmet can come off.

The following does not probably happen exactly like this in a mc-accident, but just to make the point clearer: imagine being dropped feet first through a small hole, with the helmet on your head, and the opening is just barely big enough for you, but not your helmet, which gets stuck to the edges from the front and back. That´s when you want it to come off.

But always tightening the strap properly, before you start riding, is advisable. If the strap is very loose, the helmet will usually come off straight away on first impact.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 12:48 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #168
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,306
Diesel,

Another response from Dr. Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mark
It think its worth it for him to invest a Friday afternoon to come and visit me. I am right in the center of town.
Ktmtalk.com
Old 11-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #169
MXHandStand
n00b

Oddometer: 3
WOW. Thank God I had just finished lunch! That is gnarly. Keep up the recovery and maybe a trip to Dr. Mark would be a good thing. Prayers are with you and thanks for doing your job sir. Sorry you ended up this way that is for sure. Please get well!
MXHandStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #170
NABRXX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Damn..this thread brings back bad memories...7 yrs ago, I suffered an open tib/ fib fracture. Complicating things was the fact that I left about 1/2 inch of bone on the street. Jacobi hospital took me in off the pavement and sugically pinned my leg. At this time my leg was badly swollen and I had to have a skin graft done to close the wound (I jhad a hole in my leg just below my knee simlar to ours) I began to shop for second opinions. I ended up at the Hospital for Special Surgury in NYC and was under the care of a Dr Helfet( one of the best in the world). This institution is a learning hospital and is well known for accepting cases that no one else knows what to do with. They also specialize in caring for badly injured LEOs and soldiers who may not be able to afford the care as they are outside of most insurance companies. I went into a bit of debt but for me it was worth it, after a year(4 surguries) I went back to work and today I walk without a limp. Give them a call, get well soon and dont lose hope, it will take some time but you will one day be fine. Stay well,

Chris
NABRXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #171
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
The Lymphedema/Wound Care Clinic is doing great work on my swelling and my wounds. They are coming along nicely. FWIW, I'm under the care of Dr. Mark Brinker, an outstanding Orthopedic Surgeon ( http://drbrinker.com/mark-brinker-md/ ) who specializes in the treatment of nonunion fractures and use of the Ilisarov external fixator device. I do appreciate the offers of a couple of you guys who have suggested some other physicians in the area. Truly. I am receiving very good care and have very few complaints with respect to the Worker's Comp. System and my employer and the Texas Association of Counties have done right by me for sure.

As grisly as the pictures may be, as much pain as I've endured, and as much patience as I've had to muster--I'd say it is all going to be worth it in the long run. Neither my surgeons nor I are throwing in any towels just yet.

To be continued . . .

diesel1959 screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 07:14 PM
diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #172
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Also, under the category of FWIW, I tried to register over on KTMtalk, but they didn't want to know me. I only have a hotmail account and that is a big no no with them. I wanted to join in order to see the thread referred to earlier, and I even sent an e-mail request to be able to join to the head honchos over at KTMtalk; however, they have not seen fit to reply to me nor allow me to join. Oh well.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #173
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1959 View Post
Also, under the category of FWIW, I tried to register over on KTMtalk, but they didn't want to know me. I only have a hotmail account and that is a big no no with them. I wanted to join in order to see the thread referred to earlier, and I even sent an e-mail request to be able to join to the head honchos over at KTMtalk; however, they have not seen fit to reply to me nor allow me to join. Oh well.
Glad to hear from you again Diesel. Ktmtalk is finicky. Check your junk mail for registration process. Sometimes you have to log on twice and it won't let you visit certain categories unless you are logged on. I have Hotmail and I can get on okay. Keep trying.

You can email Dr. Mark directly if you want or call him. He helps all the riders over there.

Mark Sanders, MD FACS
Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Subspecialty Certificate in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
http://www.sandersclinic.net
Old 11-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #174
NABRXX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Ask your surgeon about a product called OP-1. Its use along with external fixation was the treatment that worked. Stay well sir...even more impotantly, stay motivated!!!!!
NABRXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #175
OR400
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Recovery

Hey Diesel please check your PMs
OR400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #176
3jvj
N = N* fp ne fl fi f

Oddometer: 17
.Still tearing up

Damn...

It's been awhile since I stepped in here. Glad to hear that they are getting it under control.

Hearing your admission that the leg may still go broke my heart man.
Still tearing up and choked over here. You've been fairly stoic about it.

God bless you man. Stay strong.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #177
tallnbig68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Still enduring similar deep leg wounds although from the after effects of Celulitus. In my case my entire left leg, and yes deep leg ulcers/woundsas a result. Glad for once am no longer on two wheels.
Those wounds need to heal from the inside out.
And it takes time. In my case almost two years afterwards the initial encounter.

Your leg though appears to have healthy tissue which is very important so you'll beat this yet. Like all
similar damage to one's extremities it takes time, and we all have to wonder why time takes so long to pass.
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible. – Bertrand Russell
tallnbig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #178
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I finally got hooked up over on KTMtalk and posted a reply in the thread. Thanks, scooter.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #179
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Good. I hope you heal quickly and get back to normal soon.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #180
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1959 View Post
Diesel, if your interested, PM me, I will provide y ou with my KTMTALK username and password so you can see anything you wish to over there, Ive got nothing private on there. Keep on getting better.
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote